Author Topic: Structural Boots  (Read 18155 times)

strikeathird

Re: Structural Boots
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »
Trust me, the Bushwacker has never come off the shelf :D ..

You are correct bout the boots, but if i was to wear Structural boots, i would wear non zipped ones...

Many a reasons..

My current boots, Blundstones, are capped, not just re-inforced.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 10:18:06 AM »
I have worn both the structural and rural (leather lace/zip combination) boots - for a range on incidents - both rural, structural and training. Ultimately in the terrain of the Adelaide Hills there (for me at least) was little difference between them.

I have also worn the pull up rubber boots (Skellerup fire fighters) - and won't go back to them in a hurry - except in winter in flooding incidents (I like dry, warm feet) I have worn these several times in Compartment training and cooked my feet hence now back to the trusted, tested and proven leather combination with zips! Also wore the rubbers at a structure fire - everything except my feet got wet, but walking through and across debris was an uneasy feeling!

The leather lace/zip combo have my tried and tested vote anyday!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

PF_

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:29 AM »
How did you get to wear them at a structure fire?  Didnt think anyone in CFS had them.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 10:30:08 AM »
Have a pair in my crew bag (had them for years), when the pager went, got to the station, got dressed and put them on my feet - then got on the truck, got to the incident, was assigned BA crew ..... the rest is history!

PF_

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 10:44:29 AM »
Are people allowed to wear them if you have them or can you only wear the CFS approved zip up leathers?

Wouldnt they be better when walking across debris cause they have full leg support, I know the zip-ups go past the ankle but they could still bend and cause a sprained ankle.

I have never tried the pull on's so cant say if they would be good or not but am just wondering.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »
Wouldnt they be better when walking across debris cause they have full leg support, I know the zip-ups go past the ankle but they could still bend and cause a sprained ankle.

Just for your info, the Taipan zip-up boots are standard PPE issue to SES. So this could be a cost exercise of standard equipment across multiple agencies.

The Taipan's are great across debris and unstable surfaces.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
Zip up leather boots provide far greater foot and ankle support than rubber/leather calf length fire fighting boots!

As I said, have worn both and have both however for everything bar flooding the leather zip up ankle style boots are far superior - hence I guess why CFS chose that style out of the many different types that were trial and used prior to a standard being reached :-D

PF_

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 06:31:33 PM »
Yeah, they are good boots, I like my Taipans.

Just to clarify here I am not saying the zip-ups are no good cause I like them was just wondering about structural pull ups.

Toast

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »
There are people in the CFS that wear the pull ups. I intend to purchase some leather pull ons as soon as I get issued with new structure PPE. As far as Im concerned, if a piece of equipment meets all relevent Australian firefighting standards, and perhaps if other Australian Fire Services use them, Im happy to spend the money privately and use them.

PF_

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 07:24:15 PM »
Never seen them for sale anywhere, where do you buy firefighting boots from, havent seen the pull on's at FARA?

probie_boy

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 10:18:44 AM »
i got my boots (taipans)from evans safety on sir donald bradman drive. maybe they sell them there.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
There are people in the CFS that wear the pull ups. I intend to purchase some leather pull ons as soon as I get issued with new structure PPE. As far as Im concerned, if a piece of equipment meets all relevent Australian firefighting standards, and perhaps if other Australian Fire Services use them, Im happy to spend the money privately and use them.

Leather pull ons??????? There are very few fire services in Australia using them now!!!!

Most have transitioned or are transitioning to the ankle style boot with zip, due to their ability to be worn at a HUGE range of incidents and their better ankle and foot support

PF_

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 12:44:27 PM »
Metro brigades use them

PF_

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2006, 03:01:57 PM »
Just for the record, had a look at some of Gawler's gear when they came to macca's last week.  Had a squiz at their pull on boots and they looked pretty damn comfy.  Also had a look at the stuff in their lockers.

IM pulling a thread out of the archives, some wont like that but oh well.. :| :-D

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »
Yes PF they are pretty comfy. Speaking from experience.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2006, 06:05:57 PM »
Anyone using the Haix Firefighter boots?

Toast

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2006, 06:51:15 PM »
Soon buddy, soon...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
Metro brigades use them

mfs?

have worn my brothers... extremely comfy, but personally id still rather have my zip ups... they provide the same level of protection, but remain cooler (not that i wore my bro's to a job) when worn, and its not a PITA to try and pull pants down over...

PF_

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 12:28:24 AM »
Metro brigades use them

mfs?

have worn my brothers... extremely comfy, but personally id still rather have my zip ups... they provide the same level of protection, but remain cooler (not that i wore my bro's to a job) when worn, and its not a PITA to try and pull pants down over...

Yeah MFS, as far as I know (maybe some CFS city brigades have some)  Good point with the heat thing, they looked to be quite warm what with all the padding.  Would be nice to use in winter as has been mentioned.  Does anyone know where to buy these type of boots? 

Where is your brother stationed?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21:29 AM »
hes a retainee at pt pirie

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »
Do the retainees up there run to every job with the full timers or just some of them??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
By looking at my PDW apparently Pt Pirie have a different ID for full timers and retainers (response pages). Also some of their fire calls caome through on their local fire line. So no the retainers dont get told about all the jobs. Hopefully down here in Gambier we will get paged for everything when the day staffing begins.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 07:10:38 PM »
i dont reckon they will.....i think there is someone on the inside out to send you broke!

Evil Laugh
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:19 PM »
Keep it on topic :-D

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2006, 08:57:33 AM »
Do the retainees up there run to every job with the full timers or just some of them??

They are meant to... however i think the MFS have there share of issues to. Just going by my brothers stories it would seem that the fulltimers up there are fairly determined to prove the existence is necessary... to the point of delaying retained response by any means necessary, even not responding them at all if there is a call on a local line.

Believe all pages from MFS comms adelaide and fixed alarm go direct to retainees as well as the full time crew. They have devised plenty of there own ways to slow retained responses... its quite amazing.

**sorry firefrog...