Author Topic: Joining MFS  (Read 33822 times)

PF_

Re: Joining MFS
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2006, 09:22:46 AM »
yellow just made a delightful match to his helmet :-P

Inch thick is good, means theres lots of info.  Do you just ring up and ask for it?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
I'd have to agree with PF & Probie_boy about their earlier replies on  this page & page 3 about TAFE SA having the certificates in Public Safety availabe at every TAFE Campus around South Australia

Being that everything has and is changing about getting Level 1,2&3 certificates it would be good if the certificates in Public Safety are available at TAFE so it would save groups having to hold Level courses when brigade members and recruits i.e. Cadets could just study these modules at TAFE during the week

Besides when I wanted to study something in Emergency Response that wasnt taught in level 1 & 2 I paid $200 to go and obtain a Statement Of Attainment Certificate which certifies me as a trained Emergency Response Warden

This kind of certificate course is only available if you are willing to stay up in Adelaide and attend a full day training course at Tactical Training Australia  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2006, 04:42:40 PM »
The book is about an inch thick last time i saw it.

Slightly off topic here for a second, on the news tonight there was the unfortunate fatal house fire at o'sullivans beach, there was no visible CFS presence there but one of the firies in BA came out of the house wearing PBI the pants were silver and pink striping and the jacket was silver and yellow striping, Go Figure???

There were NO CFS there.. Might have been an original trial set.. but there was NO cfs there..

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »
Just a little bit out of CFS areas :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »
A number of MFS personnel have now been spotted with green stripes, the jacket doesn't actually have CFS or MFS on the back. It is actually making it a little confusing on the fireground now.

PF_

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2006, 10:43:42 PM »
This is just my possible tohughts and have no back up for SAMFS.

I know that in the US (or they did until very recently if they dont anymore) that the probies had a green sheild on their helmet to distinguish them from the "seaosned" firefighters.  So maybe the new recruits are being given green striped until they finish the probabtion period.  I have no idea though.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »
is there a probation period with MFS???

PF_

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2006, 11:01:45 AM »
Dont know.  Theyre probably is I know SAPOL have one.

Offline Rainer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »
probation period is now 12 months.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »
whats the restrictions on being a probie?

strikeathird

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2006, 03:00:25 PM »
PF.. I have been told by those in the "know" , that its usually the 'swap' set.. EG. There gear is in being cleaned, and that is the set given out..  Or theres could have been damaged, and thats the temp. replacement..

Hence why no MFS or CFS on the back of it... :D

PF_

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »
That would make more sense.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2006, 07:37:06 PM »
There gear is in being cleaned, and that is the set given out..  Or theres could have been damaged, and thats the temp. replacement..

I thought that may be the case mate.

We have now been told by a person in the know at Region that if you want your gear cleaned quickly to take it to Lion at Wingfield yourself, they have a contract turn-around time of 4 days and it's quicker and easier than going through the whole process of taking it into Region and waiting for them to send it off.

We have also been told that if you have Nomex to just use that as your gear whilst the PBI is off being cleaned, not exactly what we were originally told when this all came about but I guess wearing nomex for a couple of days isn't a huge issue.

Also the PBI name tags are on the way, they are pushing to get the remaining PBI orders out by June but once that is done all the name tags will be sent out to brigades as well.

Wow - really off topic now   :lol:

pumprescue

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »
Last time we got our gear cleaned we didnt send it away until our replacement sets were available from the region, so we sent ours away to be cleaned and got the pleasure of thrashing another set at some jobs. We got ours back then sent the regions off to get cleaned....what a nice little circle

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2006, 10:59:58 AM »
We picked ours up in four days, some of it is even coming back with the name tags attached now.

I guess if you want loan stuff send it to Region, if you are happy with wearing Nomex for a couple of days and are able to get your gear to Lion yourself then do that.

Now if only i could drop off some of my own washing to them....

rescue5271

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
mATT,that is fine if you are in the city......

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2006, 03:23:10 PM »
have a whinge... thats why you can take it to region.

probie_boy

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2006, 02:58:19 PM »
does anyone know where i could get a sticker of a green shield? it'll live on my helmet! :mrgreen:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2006, 08:36:05 PM »
does anyone know where i could get a sticker of a green shield? it'll live on my helmet! :mrgreen:

eh? what for mate? im not sure your actua;ly allowed to have any stickers on helmets anyway, other than names, service years and rank (if appropriate)... have heard of the odd "no fear:"  sticker around the place, LOL

PF_

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2006, 09:08:47 PM »

eh? what for mate? im not sure your actua;ly allowed to have any stickers on helmets anyway, other than names, service years and rank (if appropriate)...

The probie needs his sticker :-P

probie_boy

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2006, 09:55:31 AM »
ok, maybe not my helmet. but i wanna get one and i'll stick it where my gear is! i could probably get away with a really small one on my helmet...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »
whats the green sheild meant to mean tho'? did i miss something?

probie_boy

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2006, 01:56:01 PM »
I read somewhere (maybe this thread, but can't be bothered looking) that probies in the USA have a green shield on their helmet. I want one.

I thought about it coz theres a guy in our brigade who's nickname is wombat. So he bought a little sticker with a silouhette of a wombat on it. It looks awesome

PF_

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2006, 02:08:03 PM »
I read somewhere (maybe this thread, but can't be bothered looking) that probies in the USA have a green shield on their helmet. I want one.

That is correct, would you like to play for the million dollar question or take the cheque?

probie_boy

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 02:27:20 PM »
can i claim my cheque as collateral? if so all i want is a massive new 34p that has no problems......and a sticker with a green shield on it.

anything