Author Topic: PPE  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
PPE
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:19:10 AM »
Gday,

Just curious as to how some brigades are coping with having two different lots of PPE.  PBI and Nomex/Proban

Technically you should carry both with you to a job as you never know what you may find when you arrive but really where do we store this gear?

anyone got any ideas?

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

rescue5271

Re: PPE
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 11:51:27 AM »
Come on Cam,have a bigger station so as when you get paged you can pick what set to take,better still each brigade could have a trailer and tow it behind the appliances :lol:

I think you will find that people are going to be more confused soon if a new lot of PPE gets its way onto the fire ground. I can only say that the need to have two sets is now becoming a OHSW issue and may be we jumped onto the PBI stuff too fast. It should be noted that a number of fire service's are now telling members to get dressed at the job when you know its a going fire,as they have had problems with members being too hot before they get to the job.....MY VIEW ONLY

PF_

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 02:07:02 PM »
Maybe Nomex should be made the gear to use when going to fires where there could be possible structural fires and nomex used all the time, eliminate proban.

Also maybe especially in the winter months PBI can be the gear used all the time for MVA and structural fires etc.  Gets rid of the hassle with taking 2 sets.

My Thoughts.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 05:40:03 PM »
Sounds good.  I use Nomex all the time anyway but doesnt really matter if the job your going to may have a structural aspect or not you may get called to another job after or enroute or anytime before you get back to the station.

I mean you can use you Nomex for structural fires like we do now but if someone is injured because they are not wearing the PBI will there be some legal issues?

Camo
Compton CFS Website

PF_

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 06:04:46 PM »
yeah, dunno...

It will interesting to see how CFS go in the PBI if there are any drama's with over-heating etc.

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:22:04 AM »
If your brigade or group still has NOMEX you can still use it,you only need to get PBI when the old stuff is no good and this is where some brigades/groups are getting confused about the whole thing... Who said you had to get the nomex out of your brigade?? NO ONE DID they said once the nomex has past its used by date which is 5 years in the field then you have to replace it with pbi gold......

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 08:24:08 AM »
Whats gonna happen though is once the nomex is past its use by you wont get another set which is stupid cos what are you going to use while your PBI is away getting washed?

Also Nomex is a lot more versatile then Proban for the reasons stated in my previous post about coming across a structural job and not having your PBI.

What are you going to do if you get called to a house fire while at a grassie?  Yeah we can respond but we have to go back and get our PBI & if thats getting washed it would be sorry we cant respond cos we dont have the proper PPE.  In which case the house burns down and everyone gets shitty!

I dont know if groups are gonna reissue Nomex but i certainly hope they do to save the above happening.  Also is a Nomex suit accredited for wildland use?

Cameron
Compton CFS Website

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:40:20 AM »
i dont think nomex is actually still available..

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 09:09:33 AM »
Yes you can still get nomex,it is always going to be a problem with two sets of gear to wear to call outs and there is no way around this.Problem isyou paged for a house fire get ya pbi on arrive on scene and its a large scrub fire behind a house....You are not allowed to have your other gear in bag's on the appliances as this is a OHSW issue and so the next solution would be for cfs to issue one set of gear to do both jobs... What was so wrong with the nomex stuff anyway?????

PBI gold has its good points as well as its bad points,if you are in a rural area  how long will it take for your gear to get cleaned and returned to you?? the MFS send there gear in at the end of a shift if it needs doing  and they get it back in time for the next shift..... But it would apper that in rural or remote areas there are still some problems has to what to do.... As I have said in another post they should provide the cleaning instructions to a industrial laundry and ghet them to clean it. I knwo to other fire service's that are getting or looking into have this done due to brigades in isolated area's. The CFA will be giving 2 sets of PBI gold to its members.....

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 09:20:07 AM »
Every set of gear is supplied with cleaning instructions....But the best option is through Lion. They professionally launder, repair if needed and certify fit for purpose.

I think I heard there will be regional spares, if there are delays getting your personal kit returned. Will have to verify that though.

Keep in mind the purpose of PBI. It is primarily for offensive structural fire fighting, it is not a multi purpose wear all day garment.

Has anyone seen a written a policy saying you can't take a second kit in a bag? I have been carrying a kit bag for years!!!!! Especially now with many dual cab trucks the gear can be on the back deck with the esky, water and ration pack. Until there is a written policy do what CFS has always done. Improvise and adapt... Sounds like a crank statement but it's true :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 02:56:51 PM »
True firefrog,but was there not a OHSW letter asking crews not to put kit bags on the rear deck after a couple of these bags caught fire while crews where on fireground????

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »
Now that you mention it.. Yes I heard that. Difficult, I hope CFS have an answer. :?

Toast

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
Nice to hear there is a 5 year date on the nomex, mines gone well and truely then. As far as having two sets, Nomex for grassys and RCR on hot days, and PBI for the rest. Keeps it simple.

probie_boy

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 05:43:21 PM »
i prefer just grabbing a set and getting on the frickin truck!

PF_

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 07:52:32 PM »
2 sets for different weather is pretty simple, apparently PBI gets like a furnace so wouldnt be much fun wearing it to a 40degree say grass fire.