Author Topic: Leave to appear  (Read 23296 times)

strikeathird

Re: Leave to appear
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »
LIke I said mate... altho there is little that can be done in the way of support at the moment... WHen you know when its going to be over here ill be happy to sit in on the proceedings for some moral support !

Im sure there will be a few others that will come too.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 01:40:23 PM »
roger...as soon as I have something definite..I will post it

probie_boy

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »
yeah mate, i'll come along if it doesn't interfere with school. respect to a brother!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 05:16:16 PM »
Isn't society funny, although black tuesday was a horrific day for the communities and the CFS we could do all the good in the world and get the odd thanks for it but as soon as it looks like something went wrong you get turned on, wether it's something major like that or something minor within you local community.  :cry:

But i guess it's a way for the people who lost loved ones and their lively hoods to deal and try and get over this.

Good Luck on the stand CaptCom hope all goes well. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 02:51:59 PM »
hello fellow firies..

I've just been given a new appearance date of May 8 in Adelaide...not sure if it's in the coroner's court or the Federal yet.

I doubt that it will be then but maybe a week later...I will keep you all posted as soon as I know.

rescue...tell your mate he doesn't have very good sources for his info...not as good as yours anyway.. :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »
Well all the best mate and give us a buzz and let me know how it all goes. I shall let that person know and see what he says.....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 09:05:01 AM »
All the best CaptCorn - hopefully the process won't be too much of a burden!

It would be nice to think that CFS may put together a paper on the lessons learned from this process - both the process in the coroners court (what can, will or could happen and how they operate) and also a rap up on proceedings and the lessons to be learned by all of CFS (and other agencies)

Would prevent Chinese whispers and the typical CFS grape vine (yea I know ...... dreaming now) but also allow those who have been through the process to put it behind them and not have to keep reliving the stories as curious members ask.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 11:25:45 AM »
thanks oz fire...unfortunately, I am unable to say anything good about the process and would relish an opportunity to publish something when it's over.

At least now that some of us are appearing in Adelaide, it will give you guys an opportunity to see what it's really like..

I'm expecting/have been warned that I will be on the stand for up to a week...so there should be ample time for other vollies to come and watch the battle.

As for chinese whispers..they are human nature unfortunately..I have had this conversation from rescue..someone he knew said it wasn't moving...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
thanks oz fire...unfortunately, I am unable to say anything good about the process and would relish an opportunity to publish something when it's over.

Maybe someone in CFSHQ can grab this opportunity and will hopefully publish something - to aid everyone - both in the future should it occur again and also to let everyone know exactly what does occur and why - may be the eye opener some people need and make them 'take five'
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

rescue5271

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 09:53:26 PM »
Yeah sure oz-fire,can't see that happing....

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 09:50:05 AM »
Maybe someone in CFSHQ can grab this opportunity and will hopefully publish something - to aid everyone - both in the future should it occur again and also to let everyone know exactly what does occur and why - may be the eye opener some people need and make them 'take five'

I wish it would be that simple oz fire...those who wish to work outside of the SOP's and be cowboys, probably will always do that ....UNLESS they are actually summoned to the coroner's court themselves...otherwise most will be saying that it won't happen to them.. we are finding that this attitude is happening around here but more "it won't happen to us AGAIN..and not this soon!"

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 09:26:06 AM »
May 8 in Adelaide at 2.15pm was the last information I was given...this date and time seems to be firming as a definite.

The witness prior to me can only appear next week because his lawyer is only available then.

They are talking about the Federal Court in 3 Angas St.

Will keep you all posted.

NOW it's getting scary...it's actually getting close!  :-o

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 01:08:24 PM »
May 8 in Adelaide at 2.15pm was the last information I was given...this date and time seems to be firming as a definite.

The witness prior to me can only appear next week because his lawyer is only available then.

They are talking about the Federal Court in 3 Angas St.

Will keep you all posted.

NOW it's getting scary...it's actually getting close!  :-o

http://portlincoln.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?story_id=475560
has some info about it.  Yep keep us informed.  And good luck!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »
If I have learnt nothing in this whole process Darius...DON'T rely on the media to report any of it accurately...and that includes our local paper!!

The media are all over it at the moment..waiting for the next witness to appear...we are definitely getting to the pointy end of the stick!

rescue5271

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 08:19:11 PM »
All the best for the day(s) that you are there hope all goes well,you are right about the media they only show/say what they think is correct. mind you they still get it wrong with the simple things in life and when there is good news to report its short and sweet but when its bad news they drag it out........................

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 09:12:18 AM »
May 8 @ 2.15pm at Coroner's Court, which is on 302 King William St.

This date and time is now quite firm (well as firm as I've ever seen it in this process)

I have been told to expect to be on the stand for at least 3 days.

If anyone decides to come and take a look at me being pummeled by the lawyers...I unfortunately, am unable to speak to you at any point during the day.

As a witness, we are prohibited to speak to anyone who may be seen to be coaching or giving advice, as a result, they don't allow us to talk to anyone but the SPAM team.  Our lawyer isn't allowed to say much to us once we on the stand either.

I will know that you are there but can't do much more than that - BUT I will be appreciative of your support.  :-)

PF_

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 11:20:05 AM »
I would have thought lawyers could give advice and talk to you.

Disgraceful that this has all ended up in court.  Good luck Captcom.

probie_boy

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
good luck captcom, remember, even if those lawyers treat ya like crap, the rest of us respect ya!

rescue5271

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »
I say lets all get together after the case and have a few beers and see if we can offer some support..

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »
I say lets all get together after the case and have a few beers and see if we can offer some support..
Sounds like a good idea to me....  :-D

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 09:16:34 AM »
I would gladly catch up with you all for a few beers and swap war stories...or at least listen someone else's for a change!  There is a pub about 2 doors down from where I will be staying..can't remember the name, near cnr Pultney and Angas.

I have been advised by my lawyer to submit a supplementary statement..basically, write a really long story about everything so that the other lawyers can't ask me about it..and we can say it's on Page ? paragraph ? ...great idea but means I have to relive the whole experience again..oh, and have it done by next week!

The only advice I can give any of you..if you EVER do IMT..make sure you take notes and give lots of specific details in the paperwork!

PF_

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:57 AM »
This kind of thing and the politics is the kind fo thing that makes me not want to go any further than a Senior Firefighter with CFS.  (maybe might try and be a lieutenant but thats my limit.)

rescue5271

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
PF: it does not matter if your a snr firefighter or a group officer we can all end up on the stand. I think the long and short of this is going to be are we going to be able to (a) keep members who have been on the stand (b) will new people want to join once they see what has been going on???

PF_

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2006, 01:35:22 PM »
Yeah I know, but prefer to stay away from the politics and stuff.  This wont be good to recruit members to the CFs as they might think that every fire will be like this and might deter them.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2006, 02:05:14 PM »
You are both right but I've been a firey for 19 years and this is the first time it's happened (first for any CFS vollie I think), so the chances aren't high (thank goodness!)of it happening.

Rescue you are right..it's not just been officers that have been called ..it's just that more pressure and expectations fall on the shoulders of the officers or those in IMT.

BUT if the process was taken out of the Coroner's Court as it's been recommended in the COAG report...it wouldn't be this ugly or wasted time spent on educating the lawyers on how we work.