Author Topic: EMS Ambulance Service in South Australia  (Read 44718 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
EMS Ambulance Service in South Australia
« on: April 08, 2006, 06:02:12 PM »
Hiya everyone i think its about time we visit the topic of other emergency services that are never mentioned on tv or seen at incidents

A couple months ago i managed to watch a little bit on A Current Affair about an Ambulance Service which is called EMS and its kinda like SAAS community first responders with the first response to medical emergencies

Last Year when i went to Adelaide i can recall my bus went by a medical center and it had Private Emergency Service sign on its front wall with a depot underneath of it

Any thoughts on this as I'm stumped completely and need someone to shed some light on it
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

Re: EMS Ambulance Service in South Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
You mean on Channel 10 in one of the segments, and called EMT's..

Emergency Medical Technicians...

They go to like drug and alhohol hostels, salvo's detox, plus others, and work with the Locom doctors service to assist patients who cant afford ambulance cover.. They are volunteers.

Last I heard there head training officer was the pervious New York EMS training officer...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »
technically im not sure if the EMTs in SA actually function as an emergency service anymore.... they dotn really run around the place lights and sirens, they are actually more like the SAAS transfer buses... taking bookings and transporting people that cant otherwise afford it. more of a charity?

or at least thats my undertsanding.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:19:25 PM »
There i a crowd around called Workcare Emergency Services or something similar who drive around in cars with red/blue lights. The idea was they would attend workplaces and administer first aid and take people to hospital and so on for less $$ than SAAS. Only thing is there was an article about their director in The Advertiser the other week that he is up on about 40 charges of doing things he shouldnt have been.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 09:33:08 PM »
here is part of the article
The Advertiser, 15-03-2006, Ed: 1 - State, Pg: 017, 110 words , NEWS
A PROSPECT man accused of running an ambulance service without a licence yesterday pleaded not guilty to 20 charges, including six counts of furnishing false information. David Zammitt - from WorkCare South Australia - faces charges in the Elizabeth ...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:02:32 PM »
I'm not really sure if it was on channel 10 strikeathird but there was a bit about this ambulance service on A Current Affair which is broadcasted on WINSA here in the South East

To be honest i only caught the tail end of this segment as i was busy using my computer but i do remember hearing that this service responds when SAAS is unavailable due to other calls but are volunteers

One part towards the end of this segment the service was filmed on scene by ACA camera crew treating someone for Asthma or a cut to their hand I'm not sure which one it was :?
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:21:06 AM »
In NSW and Victoria their are private ambulance companys that are used to do non urgent transfers from hospital back to other hospitals or age care units. There are move's here in SA to look at having the same type of services so as to reduce the workload of SAAS when it comes to doing transfers. The cost is lower that that of a SAAS crew or the SAAS transport crew,the private ambulances provide 24 hrs service around the clock,unlike saas that only work till aboot 5pm here in the south east... The show you are talking about robert was based on a programe that did work with people on the street's in Melbourne around the stkilda area(nice area not) and they where looking for funding to keep their one unit going.

I have come across the guys and girls that work on it as I did patient transfers when I work for a mate who owns one of the largest private ambulance service's in Victoria and it is he that is looking at coming to SA........The crew in the private unit is made up of a reg nurses with a PTO or a paramedic(off duty) who is making extra cash....The system works well in Victoria and crews must under go reviews each year and police checks each year....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:34:25 AM »
Thanks for that rescue 5271 to be honest i wasnt sure if it was in Victoria or South Australia but yeah that one scene as i described in my previous post actually was on the show  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »
I'm not really sure if it was on channel 10 strikeathird but there was a bit about this ambulance service on A Current Affair which is broadcasted on WINSA here in the South East

To be honest i only caught the tail end of this segment as i was busy using my computer but i do remember hearing that this service responds when SAAS is unavailable due to other calls but are volunteers

One part towards the end of this segment the service was filmed on scene by ACA camera crew treating someone for Asthma or a cut to their hand I'm not sure which one it was :?

That was Definately EMT from here in SA. I saw the same article and exact camera footage, but it was on channel 10 over in Adelaide.   (They were wearing blue jumpsuits and had an older ford longreach ambulance)...

Yes robert, they are a vol. group, who as I said, work with the locom doctor service and also work with youth and re-habilitation hostels around the state...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
I was right it was filmed in Adelaide  :-D but where is their depot as every volunteer ambulance service across Australia has a depot where the ambulance are housed

It would be good if there were more EMT services around SA so i nthe event of SAAS crews being comitted to other jobs this volunteer ambulance service could respond to other medical emergencies as well as do paitent transfers

Whne you think about it they are kinda like the SAAS community first responders but only have a different colour uniform and amubulance    :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
They used to be at Mitch. RSL , don't know where they are now.

They have been operating for a number of years..

But disagree with them running to SAAS emergencies.. There are systems in place to handle the current SAAS workload, and the training involved to be a SAAS or equivalent qualified PAramedic is far more involved than transporting low priority cases.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 06:58:16 PM »
A bit of info from the EMT website http://www.emt.org.au

The EMT Service provides an Emergency Medical and Trauma Service to the sick and poor in South Australia. Our service is located in Adelaide (population one million) and services the entire metropolitan area.

We are a licensed ambulance service through the State Government of South Australia under the Ambulance Services Act (1992). As such we are registered as an Ambulance Service Provider under the Act.

The EMT Service has three programs which are:

EMT SERVICE - as a licensed ambulance service provider we operate an ambulance service for the sick and poor.

STREETCARE - a service that provides basic life support and first aid to street people in conjunction with other mobile welfare services that provide for the homeless and destitute.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE - a service to other public safety volunteers to provide rapid response advanced life support.

We are a completely volunteer organisation and have no paid personnel in any capacity. All of our members are trained as Emergency Medical Technicians (basic and advanced life support) to internationally recognized standards.

These are the guys that Channel Ten did the story on a few weeks ago.

The other organisation that you were talking about is Workcare S.A. http://www.workcaresa.com.au they used to be based on Main North road at Pooraka but have now moved to Port road Hindmarsh.

You would see their sedans running around lights and sirens all the time, that's obviously now been stopped. I remember hearing they didn't actually hold an Ambulance Service license and as such were not permitted to run priority one.

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 07:39:17 PM »
If you go to the DOWNLOAD section robert (of the EMT site), you can download one of there videos..

And there is joining info, and info on what they do on the site also.

probie_boy

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »
interesting.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the link Matt it seems like becoming an EMT is the only way to go now being my application to become an SAAS Volunteer was unsuccessful once again  :-(

Im just hopinmg that they will allow me to join as a first responder even though im in Kalangadoo so i can provide basic first aid to sick &poor people who cant afford SAAS membership cover
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »
Mate, the unit runs out of Adelaide.. The only way for training is to attend training nights.. You have to be signed off as competent, and do pracs.. all sorts..

I would say 'active' membership, would be seriously difficult....

See how you go.

PF_

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »
Where is Kalangadoo?

strikeathird

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
Not really in driving distance of the adelaide CBD...

:lol:

probie_boy

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 03:03:21 PM »
a long way away :-D

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 09:28:57 AM »
about 30kms north of mt gambier (SA lower south east)

strikeathird

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 12:21:50 PM »
Yep...

Like I said.. not really in driving distance for a 4 hour EMT shift in Adelaide..

Maybe give SAAS vollies another try robert ?

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 08:43:43 PM »
Robert would have to move.................

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »
I tried to get it to SAAS as a volunteer strikeathird but they wouldnt accept my application due me living in Kalangadoo which is not within the required response time vicinity  :cry:

But there was one thing they were right about SAAS & SACFS are very different when it comes to calling volunteers for an emergency the Country Fire Service has a pager alert system but also fire sirens on stations which can be set off to let personnel who didnt hear their pager know of a callout

Where as with SAAS they only have their pagers to inform crews of medical emergencies end of story so living way out of the response time area theres no point of trying again as it will be the same story

Maybe i'll have another crack at trying to rejoin the SES even though it will be the same story because i live to far away from Millicent SES station the least they could do is allow me to be apart of their second response crew or communications team where at the least i'll be able to use my radio experience
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 12:58:42 AM »
Obviously SAAS vollies in your area don't stay on station while on shift???
I thought that would be a standard thing although alot of vollie stations arent that busy!!
The vollie station at Goolwa is an old police officers house they've got a room each with bed and a kitchen facilities and a lounge with TV DVD AUSTAR, and big recliners, come to think of it they got it damn sweet i think we should all push the CFS for at least the lounge area in our stations :lol: YEAH RIGHT!! But the SAAS Goolwa station does do 700-800 jobs a year so it would be required for them to be on station.

I know that a lot of the Goolwa SAAS members live in Adelaide, Robert you should come and join and do shifts here they even pay a good fuel allowance, it'll only be 5 hours driving each way :wink:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »
Robert I would follow this up as I am aware of a number of SAAS volunteers who live well out of their area and they still catch the ambulance........

anything