Author Topic: Programming ubct8 scanner  (Read 4081 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Programming ubct8 scanner
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »
Hi all,
Our brigade has purchased a ubct8 scanner to monitor and record GRN traffic to cover our butts and save the comms people a bit of time writing logs.  I am however having trouble programming it (a little technically challenged when it comes to scanners).  I have looked at Matt B's site and have had many e-mails to him but i guess i am just giving up now. If anyone can help please PM me, or feel free to call in and see us at Meningie!!

strikeathird

Re: Programming ubct8 scanner
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:02:29 PM »
Review regarding just the  UBCT8.

http://newcastlescan.tripod.com/id67.html

This is meant to be a scanner and programming manual.. but the PDF is not working
http://www.newcastlescan.com/files/ubct8.pdf

Maybe by tonight it will be back online ?

However Matts site looks like its got all the goods regarding programming info..

Good luck.

probie_boy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:37:55 PM »
can't you just ask group/region to give you guys a hand with programming it? i think thats what our group did.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:43 PM »
can't you just ask group/region to give you guys a hand with programming it? i think thats what our group did.

it was the group comms officer (at the time) who did all the scanners in your group, I doubt you'd get any help from R1!

to mengcfs: look on the SA-Scan yahoo group, lots of people have programmed them, they are much more of a pain than the UBC780 though.  Regarding recording it as a record of radio traffic, it's not a 100% solution, ie. not as good as connecting a radio to a recording device.  It's my tip that the lack of recorded radio traffic in many groups (and regions) is going to be one (of many) thing to come out of the Eyre Peninsula fire.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:58:17 AM »
....Regarding recording it as a record of radio traffic, it's not a 100% solution, ie. not as good as connecting a radio to a recording device.  It's my tip that the lack of recorded radio traffic in many groups (and regions) is going to be one (of many) thing to come out of the Eyre Peninsula fire.

Some units are trialing voice activated recorders situated below the SAGRN speaker at base. Problem is that they activate when people have a conversation while standing nearby.

For myself, during a busy operational time I have needed to review the radio log to find out information (eg time of last contact to person & where they were).

How would you retrieve that kind of information from a recording device ?

But i think useful for 'day to day' small operations and general radio traffic. But would hate to review a recorded session to create a timeline or for oeprational analysis.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
Some units are trialing voice activated recorders situated below the SAGRN speaker at base. Problem is that they activate when people have a conversation while standing nearby.

you'd have to pipe the audio into the recording device (patch a wire onto the speaker wire or audio out), not just put a tape recorder next to the speaker

I am considering something like this running on a PC:
http://www.nch.com.au/vrs/index.html

For myself, during a busy operational time I have needed to review the radio log to find out information (eg time of last contact to person & where they were).

How would you retrieve that kind of information from a recording device ?

But i think useful for 'day to day' small operations and general radio traffic. But would hate to review a recorded session to create a timeline or for oeprational analysis.

you'd have to play it back.  I don't think there's an automated way that's better than someone listening to the radio and moving tokens around on a whiteboard.

you can get a log of radio use from a program like ID Trunker connected to a scanner but you want beyond that.  You want software that does voice recognition and converts it to text... (not yet!)

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »
Other major comcens in SA use recorded GRN and playback facilitys.. (Where the last messages can be listened too straight away).. Im sure it is possible, but maybe with the use of voice/audio management systems ?

Don't think it would be cheap..

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 11:21:26 AM »
Thanks to all for your help.  We have now found someone reasonably close to do the programming for us.  All we want to do is a simple recording to our PC. We will be trialling Scanrec to see how it goes.  Up untill now we have had the digital voice recorders under the speakers, but as you say EVERYTHING is picked up.  Will let you all know how it goes.
PS: What do other brigades use to do recording, if anyhthing.

probie_boy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 03:01:03 PM »
dude if you have any other troubles try asking robert_34. he knows a fair bit about scanners too.

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 03:12:38 PM »
Yea im sure Robert34 would be happy to help.

:mrgreen:

anything