Author Topic: SES Station Numbers...  (Read 23845 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
SES Station Numbers...
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »
Not sure if anyones interested but just something ive been compiling as ive noticed these things...

METRO; 20's

STURT            73420
WESTERN ADELAIDE      73620
ENFIELD            72420
METRO SOUTH          72620
PROSPECT         73120
NOARLUNGA         72820

COUNTRY; 20's

CLARE            75329
LAURA            75929
MURRAY BRIDGE         72729
BARMERA            73829
SNOWTOWN         77029
MT GAMBIER         74629
ROXBY DOWNS          76829
MARLA            76229
MINTABIE         76329
KANGAROO ISLAND         72529
KAPUNDA            75829
BERRI            73929
MAITLAND         77229
WAROOKA            76129
KINGSTON         74329

i was trying to work out what the final two digits may stand for and have come to the conclusion that it is to do with road crash units (29) Vs non-road crash units (20)... originally i thought it may be road crash responses Vs storm responses, but then one of the 29's getting responded to a flooding/salvage job blew that out of the water..

was also wondering if perhaps 20s were metro units whereas 29's were contry...

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: SES Station Numbers...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:01:14 PM »
Thanks for that Medevac.  Quite topical as we were paged this afternoon to a tree down along with SES.  Some of the members were not aware of which code was for which SES unit.  (Some weren't aware what the code was at all) We had assumed that Sturt was responding due to the location, but by your list it was Noarlunga.

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »
72120 is Adelaide Hills (Mt Barker)

Is there a list around with the CFS station codes, as we have members wondering the same thing.. Well there is now that I pointed it out to them.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »
In CFS section of this forum under "Station Numbers Again" might be a few pages back... it only has a few CFS station codes and all MFS station codes.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 01:34:44 AM »
Thanks for that Medevac.  Quite topical as we were paged this afternoon to a tree down along with SES.  Some of the members were not aware of which code was for which SES unit.  (Some weren't aware what the code was at all) We had assumed that Sturt was responding due to the location, but by your list it was Noarlunga.

Did you arrive, do the job, and put a stop back before they went mobile ?

:P

Just jokes SES peeps... U know we love you....

:lol:

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 02:08:01 AM »
That's exactly what happened, with all respect to our fellow vollies.  Appliance was already back in the bay when SES unit drove passed the station enroute to the job.

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »

PLEASE PLEASE do that.. we have had a couple jobs where the CFS have gone too, done the job, and we didnt get a stop call. Nice way for us to waste our time looking for the job and so on.

Like I have said in another post, the area SES units cover compaired to that of CFS/MFS is huge. There are going to be a few more jobs done by the CFS/MFS I think.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:54:01 AM »
The appliance numbers would make sense - 29 is same as CFS for rescue and mfs 9 and from my understanding no metro SES units have any RCR capabilities???
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »

PLEASE PLEASE do that.. we have had a couple jobs where the CFS have gone too, done the job, and we didnt get a stop call. Nice way for us to waste our time looking for the job and so on.

Question how would the CFS know that you were getting called to the job ??

Toast

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:46 AM »
Its an odd one with MFS paging. We will have turnouts specifically for our Hazmat appliance or our tanker, but everything else is just '19' - Rescue Vehicle, regardles of the job.

In terms of stopping the SES, most of the time that I've seen them arrive at our jobs, we have had no idea that they were coming. It must be awful to go looking for a job thats already been done, but 'the nearest and most appropriate resource' should be used.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 12:31:41 PM »
In terms of stopping the SES, most of the time that I've seen them arrive at our jobs, we have had no idea that they were coming. It must be awful to go looking for a job thats already been done, but 'the nearest and most appropriate resource' should be used.

My suggestion would be to assume if it is storm, tree or flood incident, then SES is responding. Better to be informed that SES did not know about the job, rather than the volunteers travel for no job.

It is automatically assumed that if a fire or RCR exists in rural regions, then CFS is responding.

One of the new rules is that if the incident is car vs building, then SES will be responded for salvage. So if you respond to RCR & a building is involved, then give a quick stop call if no shoring/salvage required.

Ultimately SAFECOM SACAD will assist in resolving this. Hopefully an automatic address search for current incidents will be done within the computer system when a new call is received.

But you will always get the problem. Last year during a large storm event, Willunga CFS and Noarlunga SES (from LHQ at Lonsdale) were responded to a tree job at Willunga. We believe they were individual seperate telephone calls received, and neither organisation knew the other had responded resources.

The ultimate aim is for the emergency incident to be resolved quickly and safely as possible. So it does not matter who resolved the incident.

But all I ask is that you be aware that more resources from other organisations will being responded in case you need the extra equipment.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »
Its an odd one with MFS paging. We will have turnouts specifically for our Hazmat appliance or our tanker, but everything else is just '19' - Rescue Vehicle, regardles of the job.

Is confusion caused because with SES you are paging a whole Unit, not a vehicle ? With SES it is up to the responding Officer or Team Leader which vehicle is used.

Also, the SES trucks & vehicles are setup to respond to multiple types of incidents. For example, a heavy rescue truck carries equipment for tree jobs, shoring, building damage, roof damage, verticle rescue, lighting, flooding, etc. This makes it impossible to name vehicles by its purpose.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »
Whenever we stop our local SES unit for jobs they still rockup with the line "CFS can't stop call us"

They look like a bunch of donkeys, but thats their perogative though....
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 03:39:54 PM »
Whenever we stop our local SES unit for jobs they still rockup with the line "CFS can't stop call us"

They look like a bunch of donkeys, but thats their perogative though....

Exactly the same thing happens with us.  They jump out of their vehicles as we are jumping in to go home :-P

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
I think you will find this is the minority of SES Units. Seem both Units are in the same area though !!!

Personally I believe the rest of the volunteers would appreciate the 'job done, go home early' advice. :wink:
Andrew Macmichael

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »
Now wouldn't a common frequency/talk group be a great idea - could then transmit a direct stop and pass on any relevant info - similar to what occurs in EMA fire service areas - that way the officer of the incoming vehicle can make a valued judgment if they need to continue - sorry for being logical!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 04:28:45 PM »
Now wouldn't a common frequency/talk group be a great idea - could then transmit a direct stop and pass on any relevant info - similar to what occurs in EMA fire service areas - that way the officer of the incoming vehicle can make a valued judgment if they need to continue - sorry for being logical!

Too long for a muti-agency talkgroup to be setup, but it would not take long for CFS OCO's to call MFS ComCen to advise of the stop-call.

Be resolved in a couple of years when SAFECOM SACAD in operation. Then we are all talking to the one ComCen.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
fire03rescue - you'll know if an SES unit isgoing to a job with you because there station number will be on the page with yours...

mundcfs - your talking about VARs... SES got burned a couple of times a while ago by CFS putting stop calls on them before they'd even arrived, SES went home and an hour later got called back because a rescue truck was required... they know downgrade to priority two (or they should) and continue rather than taking a stop...

in reality though if MFS commcen does its job as its being payed to and per there new protocols...  then vehicle Vs building will now be "Building Impact" and respond the nearest SES as well as fire and rescue... also CFS/MFS should not be being responded to tree downs at all, seems to me that the dispatchers are fiddling with the responses... time for SES heirachy to put the foot down?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 06:18:09 PM »
seems to me that the dispatchers are fiddling with the responses... time for SES heirachy to put the foot down?
how are the SES heirachy meant to put their foot down when the CFS cant?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »
why cant the CFS? in relation to what anyway??? CFS dont seem to be 'pushed' out of responses or screwed over really...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 12:04:40 AM »
Medevac- yes they (SES) keep coming for VA's and even in the green book it says if first rescue is stopped then they can keep going on lower priority to the job for any other assistance but when the first rescue resource is already on scene there's no need to keep coming...

We've had them roll up to a job in the middle of town at 3am after putting a stop on them, were about to leave and they arrive jump out of their truck throw up all of the lockers start up their incredibly noisy generator, all before checking in with the OIC, that why they look like donkey's.

But anyway filtered happens and until everyone is responded at the same time by the same people miscommunications will happen and the services will have to work their best to get through it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 09:14:57 AM »
Medivac's info about stop calls is spot on.... SES have been burned a few to many times.

The situation has been explained, and most are happy. When notified that they are not required they revert to priority 2. Its good to have a quick chat to OIC etc, and it gets any 'green' crew at least a little exposure to RCR.....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 09:22:20 AM »
Sorry to continue taking this threat off the topic, but SES is not alone!

There have been many instances in the past where both CFS and MFS have failed to take a stop and continued P1 to the incident .... just in case!

(Actually sounds like a Group Officer or two I know :wink: :wink: :wink:)

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 09:30:30 AM »
Medevac
I have never seen SES called on my pager, I have been to a few calls where both SES and CFS has been called.
Most of the time SES has been called in later

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »
Medevac
I have never seen SES called on my pager, I have been to a few calls where both SES and CFS has been called.
Most of the time SES has been called in later

the transition has only happened just recently.. i believe your talking about car v structures where SES havent been on your page? this is probably due to MFS puttingthe call in as "Respond RCR" instead of "building impact"... and then doing it properly later...