Author Topic: ANZAC Vigil  (Read 14330 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
ANZAC Vigil
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:37:17 AM »
Hi all,
It seems a few Brigade's Cadets will be holding the ANZAC Vigil this year. Can anyone involved give us an insight as to what different Brigades are doing?

FOR INFO OUR CADETS PARTICIPATING IN ANZAC ALL NIGHT VIGIL TONIGHT. BRIGADE MEMBERS WELCOME ALL NIGHT. SERVICE AT 0630 HOURS - CORO CAPTAIN

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: ANZAC Vigil
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
Like the last couple of years I'll be representing among the delegates representing Wattle Range CFS Division in Millicent's Anzac Day march

But also I'm in the march due to relis from both sides of my family having served in WW2 so i have the obligation of keeping up the tradition.... plus our brigade used to do the Anzac Day March back in the late 1980's-eary 1990's but lost all interest so i am reigniting the tradition even though no one in our brigade seems to care about the CFS proud Civil Defence history/war time role

This is real sad  :cry:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »
At the Morphett Vale memorial a youth vigil will be held tonight.

The training session was run yesterday and I believe multiple youth organisations are involved (CFS, St John, Scouts, Guides, Army, etc).

The training session yesterday was run by a person in a CFS logo T-Shirt & jacket.

To give you an idea of the size of the event, all of the youth meet at the local footy oval at 1645. Then the first shift are to have tea and then the vigil starts. Twelve youths at a time will maintain the vigil for 30 minutes before the shift changes and another 12 start. Activities, food and sleeping for the remaining youth at the footy oval are conducted by the leaders of each organisation. This continues until 0530.

My daughter who is a member of Guides SA expects to complete three shifts during the night/early morning. This will be her third year of doing the vigil and she enjoys the contact with youths of other organisations. She will be wearing her Grandmother's medals as a sign of respect.

My son who is a Rover member of the Scouts is involved in assisting at the ceremony and vigil in the Adelaide city.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 08:47:56 AM »
About 8 cadets and leaders went down to Adelaide yesterday for the vigil  from region 5 and I can tell you this will be something that our cadets will be very proud to do. Our cadets did a vigil here in Naracoorte few years ago lot of hard work,cold and they did a great job,nice to see that young people are willing and able to pass on the true meaning of ANZAC DAY. I did not go this year to the local march as my wife is ill,each year the story's get better and people really show their true colours...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 07:57:09 PM »
Once again like last year i praticipated in the Millicent Anzac Day march along with 3 Millicent CFS members,our GO and 3 Deputies... the officers were dressed in their CFS Officers dress unifroms while us 3 volunteers had our 2 piece uniforms on

The worst part was that we were made to amrch behind the SES march pariticpants even though CFS comes before SES which was quite confusing  :?

At least the SE Times Journalist/Photographer was there to take pictures of both emergency services which no doubt will be in Thursdays Edition of the South Eastern Times

I've lost count of how mnay times i've been in the SE Times or Border Watch newspapers  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:25:15 PM »
Your just a regular ol celebrity down in the deep south Robert.... :wink: :-P
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 08:37:33 AM »
The worst part was that we were made to amrch behind the SES march pariticpants even though CFS comes before SES which was quite confusing  :?

huh?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:02:16 AM »

huh?

I think the reference is to Alphabetically

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 09:36:19 AM »
aaah i didnt think any of the parade was ordered alphabetically...

PF_

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
Maybe it is from the general public eye in the streets that thinks "the order" for emergency services is

MFS
CFS
SES

IM not saying that is it people so dont send me letter bombs and bullets in the mail but that is what most of the public would think.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 11:49:56 AM »
Just wondering PF... why would you say that though? really... the public looks at it as "the emergency services" IMO... i dont think they really distinguish between them much..

the only differance ive evr heard from the public is them thinking CFS only do rural jobs

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
Maybe it is from the general public eye in the streets that thinks "the order" for emergency services is

MFS
CFS
SES

IM not saying that is it people so dont send me letter bombs and bullets in the mail but that is what most of the public would think.

Ahhhhh just to stire the pot...... Combine all of the members marching as a single entity, emergency services to the community. This would include St John, Sea Rescue, SA Ambulance, etc, etc
Andrew Macmichael

PF_

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 12:10:12 PM »
Im not saying thats true, but because MFS are paid maybe, MAYBE  the public think they are ahead, I dont know.  The general public do not have a clear idea what CFS and SES do.  I know before I joined up I always tohught the SES did just mainly weather related problems and searches, didnt know they went to road crash.  Especially those people who live in the city might not have a clear idea.  I have learnt a lot more about what CFS do now as well.  See it from the other side of the fence.

As I said it is not my opinion that anyone is better as they are not.

Anyway, maybe Rob's comment was a bit of satire and too much is being read into it?

:lol: bajdas they all do a very worthy job and all are needed.  None should be given higher status over each other.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:19:22 PM by P F »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 12:13:38 PM »
Attended dawn service at Morphett Vale with a large crowd from the public.

Saw the last youth vigil stand. Great to see the combined group of 12 youths which included two CFS people in turn-out uniform.

My daughter completed 4 stands of 30 minutes during the night as part of Guides SA. Fantastic organisation at the vigil which included St Johns tent & first aid caravan, food, drinks, adult leaders monitoring and sleeping facilities. Youth were instructed to rotate every ten minutes around the Vigil circle which allowed blood to circulate (esp for people with no parade ground training).

End result:
* my daughter slept all day Tuesday because she did not sleep during the Vigil time.
* she is 15 years old & is enthusisatic to do the Youth Vigil next year.
* she understands & respects what diggers did.
* understands how bad current war is.

No better history lesson learnt....
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »
During war times the CFS or as it was known then as EFS had a very important role of protecting Adelaide & it's surrounding surburbs in the event of an air raid occuring

You aint seen nothing yet mundcfs i'll be in the newspaper or on the TV this year come November as im once again entering the Mount Gambier Christmas Parade  8-)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:55:35 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14:07 PM »
Not as Mrs Clause i hope :-D :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 01:35:01 PM »
very funny mundcfs...i am entering my own float the very one that got me the 2005 Mount Gambier Christmas Parade Encouragement Award
Kalangadoo Brigade

Toast

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 04:33:32 AM »
The EFS wasnt around during the war, buddy!

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 12:00:31 AM »
Encouragement award huh rob...

Wasn't encouraging you to try harder for next year was it??

hehehe... jks mate....

Any pics??

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 02:40:01 PM »
Actually striker the encouragement award is given to fist time entrants who have done their best to make a float using a very limited budget and simple resources such as tinsel and homemade xmas signs
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 09:06:30 PM »
Its alrite mate, I was just joking.

Did u get any pics?

anything