Author Topic: women in the service's  (Read 36499 times)

Manuel

Re: women in the service's
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »
Report it, you should. that kind of thing makes me angry :x, Have you approached anyone about it?

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 09:12:16 AM »
I agree with Manuel..I'm a female vollie and I wouldn't put up with any of that...they will continue if they know that they will get away with it.

I'm now a DGO and I would be ensuring that this kind of neanderthal behaviour be stomped out.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »
Report it, you should. that kind of thing makes me angry :x, Have you approached anyone about it?

agree, i do, with yoda - sorry mannys statement. report it, you must. the chin, you must not take it on.
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »
Hey Firetruck stop using my nick name for other people

I am a "female" and have been a CFS vollie for 6 years, when i joined my brigade there was 2 women and one was a 1st lewy, many of our brigade members are from the old "school", where women should be at home etc... and I had to prove myself more than my brother who joined at the same time, my captain of the time was very supportive of women and so is our current one. I don't understand why there is such a stigma about "women" and being on the frontline at major incidents. I recall one of the first strike teams I attended I rocked in with my appliance got off for the briefing and in front of everyone one of the brigade captains asked me what I was doing there, women don't come on strike teams, when I looked around I noticed I was the only female there. If someone says something like that to either a male or a female there needs to something done about it, it is not acceptable in the year 2006 for this to be occuring.
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

PF_

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 05:59:39 PM »
There is lots more women in interstate paid services than here, I wonder why that is?

(genuine question, no reading between the lines)

Its interesting how women are excluded from physical jobs, there has only ever been 1 female STAR force cop and no females in the SAS, they are not even allowed to try and join.  If a woman can pass BFF1, then let them in as they are more than capable of minimum CFS standards, as someone has said some are even better than the blokes at jobs.

Offline LFB06

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »
I agree with you there, a lot of women are more sensible on the fireground, and they tend to think things through quite well, in comparison to those sexest ***** who go all tunnel vision at an incident. Our brigade only has one fully operational female firefighter, i would like to see more of them in the CFS, but if things happen as explained before, well i can see why they are not.

I agree with Manuel above, report it :wink:, and hopefully you can get those people out of the CFS :x,

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 07:01:38 PM »
Actually PF, according to research done by the Bushfire Cooperative research Centre, (Beatson, R. 2005), South Australia has the highest female membership out of all the volunteer fire services in Australia, with 20 percent (hard to believe!). The Vic CFA has only 11%.  Overall, the average percent of female operational volunteers in Australia is 14%...

PF_

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 07:18:40 PM »
CFS Firey,  Paid services, especially the MFB have a lot more women, unless their media just focuses on the stations that have female F/F's, but a lot fo what I see there are a lareg amount of females there compared to here. 

I have seen a girl wearing a CFS shirt with "mini Bitch" written under a CFS logo while she was wearing it.  What do people think of something like that the public could see.  It is probably a mutual nickname at the station but the public will get a wrong impression from it.

corecutters

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 07:37:57 PM »
CFS Firey,  Paid services, especially the MFB have a lot more women, unless their media just focuses on the stations that have female F/F's, but a lot fo what I see there are a lareg amount of females there compared to here. 

I have seen a girl wearing a CFS shirt with "mini Bitch" written under a CFS logo while she was wearing it.  What do people think of something like that the public could see.  It is probably a mutual nickname at the station but the public will get a wrong impression from it.

Not the brightest idea...

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »
I agree with the name under the logo NOT being a good idea...different to have her actual name but it doesn't project a good image...and we do try to look professional..

pumprescue

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 12:32:26 PM »
Intersting Small Flame from all members in attendance at that training exercise including officers they have said nothing sexist at all was said to any female. In fact small Flame it was more a concern if anything for the size of the people footing the ladder to the person on the ladder, judging by the name Small Flame tells a story...

You cant support someone of greater weight on a ladder safely, OH&S, safety first people, no matter what sex you are...

Toast

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »
Intersting Small Flame from all members in attendance at that training exercise including officers they have said nothing sexist at all was said to any female. In fact small Flame it was more a concern if anything for the size of the people footing the ladder to the person on the ladder, judging by the name Small Flame tells a story...

You cant support someone of greater weight on a ladder safely, OH&S, safety first people, no matter what sex you are...

When in doubt, play the sexism card :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:29:53 PM by Toast »

pumprescue

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
Thats my point Toast...

These guys who were instructing are damn good fire fighters and were purely looking out for safety...if you are not taught right people will get hurt at the most important time... at a job

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2006, 05:18:11 PM »
When the siren sounds, when the pager alerts us, when we don our trusted yellow PPE we are all fire fighters, not men and women, we are fire fighters serving our community.

Each and everyone of us has limitations, barriers and hurdles to get over, we all just need to be big enough to ask.

When you wear the yellow, you are protecting your community and they don't care your sex, race, age or aptitude, what they care about is you being a professional and competent fire fighter and helping them in their time of need!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
Maybe Thats Her Nick Name But It Should Not Be Displayed To The Public Like That As It Promotes A Bad Image.  I Would Actually Like To See That The Shirt Is Not Worn In Public.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »
Just a friendly reminder;
Remember not to post names or identifying information about people here. No one has done it yet, but this thread has the potential there. Thanks!
:D

PF_

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
yeah mate I will not discolse any potential info of where I saw the shirt or who was wearing it and what brigade they were from  :wink:

Nah actually everyone should know it was................

Only joshin  :evil:

Offline Smallflame

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »
Just to update, after followup etc, the comment was heavily misconstrued, and as I had hoped ,it was poorly worded and to do with the ladder itself etc. Its up to the other female involved whether she wants to take it further, but when i got my call, I made clear it was not an issue considering circumstance, it was more the revving that went on afterward.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 08:01:54 AM »
Good to hear Smallflame......
Glad its all being sorted out smoothly   8-)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
Some time ago our previous CEO said we had 17,000 volunteers and 450 brigades during the Sydney fires after a comment from the media about leaving our state under protected.He said If they asked us for another 1,000 they would have them.

Truth be known we have about 10,000 volunteers now.....as a lot of which we lost because of all the crap and politics in this service.
Remember when there was a survey paper about why you left the service etc from HQ getting around im sure most of it was due to inuendo against individuals.

Volunteers are a valuable resource and some towns cant afford to be sexist.

The life they save may be your own people :-D     
Images are copyright

Toast

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 01:38:19 PM »
Some time ago our previous CEO said we had 17,000 volunteers and 450 brigades during the Sydney fires after a comment from the media about leaving our state under protected.He said If they asked us for another 1,000 they would have them.

Truth be known we have about 10,000 volunteers now.....as a lot of which we lost because of all the crap and politics in this service.
Remember when there was a survey paper about why you left the service etc from HQ getting around im sure most of it was due to inuendo against individuals.

Volunteers are a valuable resource and some towns cant afford to be sexist.

The life they save may be your own people :-D     

So did people leave due to the 'crap and politics' or the 'inuendo against individuals' ?

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »
Sometimes you have to wonder why people join the service...and need reminding that what we do, saves lives and property...yes, the politics and red tape can be an issue (and I know that after my coronial experience) but only if you let it be a distraction and drop the ball..

For me it's more about contributing to my community...whilst working within the safe boundaries of SOP's...if anyone had come to court and seen how the lawyers bashed you over the head with documents that we use eg Response Plans...you would think twice about working outside of them..

rescue5271

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
It does not matter what service or community group you are in there will always be people who will not let everyone do the job that they want to do for the better of there community. Its become more of a problem in brigades that have bad leadership and that those leaders will not allow females to do anything other than the radio or make a coffee. It is also time that male members got up and said something to these so called leaders,we should be happy that someone has come along and given their time to join the service. lets face it we are all getting older and the young ones can see what is going on but dont say a word till its too late.... rememeber we are a community based fire service who needs the support of the community.......

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 09:20:13 AM »
Maybe these so called leaders need to be reminded of those 6% that are male...more of them and more problems usually than with the females who are there to do the job and not worry about stroking their egos..  :|

Manuel

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 04:45:57 PM »
sooo true, :x

anything