Author Topic: SES/CFS Response Priorities  (Read 16985 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SES/CFS Response Priorities
« on: May 01, 2006, 02:34:31 PM »
You will find that P2 for SES means that there is no fire truck  going but still a lights and sirens job. P1 means a fire truck is responded too.

Matty
This is a quote from the "Ammusing pager messages" thread, in reference to the SES responding lights and sirens to a tree down with the CFS.

Am I to understand from this that the SES has Priority 1 when responding with the fire service, and 2 when they aren't? Presumably P3 is responding without lights and siren?

Offline MATTY

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: SES/CFS Response Priorities
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:06:25 PM »
this is correct cfs firey

PF_

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »
Do SES have trucks with lights and sirens?

Anyone have a pic?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:54:39 PM »
Do SES have trucks with lights and sirens?

Anyone have a pic?

I hope this was a 'tongue in cheek' comment, but just in case have a look at http://www.sturtrescue.com.au/vehicles.htm  :-P
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
You will find that P2 for SES means that there is no fire truckĀ  going but still a lights and sirens job. P1 means a fire truck is responded too.

Matty
This is a quote from the "Ammusing pager messages" thread, in reference to the SES responding lights and sirens to a tree down with the CFS.

Am I to understand from this that the SES has Priority 1 when responding with the fire service, and 2 when they aren't? Presumably P3 is responding without lights and siren?

I will need to confirm, but I understand that P1 is 'life threat' or 'potential life threat'. If this is allocated, then other emergency services are responded to provide the fastest response.

Depending on the response area arrangements between MFS and CFS, the most appropriate resource will be responded. For example in the metropolitan area, this is MFS, if country CFS.

A tree on a major road can be deemed a risk in causing a motor vehicle accident. Thus P1 can be allocated for at least traffic control. SAPOL will also be notified.

A piece of roofing iron with potential to fall into a busy street could also be deemed 'potential life threat'. Other P1's can included 'industrial accidents', land search, etc.

The complete CRD rules between MFS and SES have been published in the lastest SASESVA Frontline magazine, but it is not on the website yet. I will try and scan the page for you.

The new SES priorities range in P1, P2, P3, P4 and NIL response. I have not seen the official SES documentation, so the above is my understanding.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:28:45 PM »
Thanks...

So would you choose your response priority from what information you have, or do you have SOP's that define what priority you should use? For example, in the CFS, We have to go P1 to fixed/private alarms, because even though 99% of the time they are false, if we only go P2 and someone dies, we were in the wrong... (As a major generalization :P)
Ie, do SES SOP's say Tree on main road = life threat, tree on driveway = reduced threat, even though you know its not (like if you know SAPOL are on scene, so it can't get any worse...)?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »
It really depends on where you are at the moment....

There are some limitations as for when to use P1 or P2, but its also somewhat up to the OIC....

probie_boy

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
i went to a job once with sturt SES. it was some unstable trees that had been loosened by a small landslide and was threatening someones house. It was a bad night weather wise and the SES had been busy, yet they still showed up and helped out. it was good of them considering we pretty much had it under control and they had been out all arvo. My point is that they had been out all afternoon and only used lights and sirens once, according to one of the guys. As i mentioned somewhere else, going fast with lights and sirens on is the best bit!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »
as Mike said; i would think the choice of priority of response is up to the OIC and he  is then accountable for it...

Toast

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 02:50:29 AM »
i went to a job once with sturt SES. it was some unstable trees that had been loosened by a small landslide and was threatening someones house. It was a bad night weather wise and the SES had been busy, yet they still showed up and helped out. it was good of them considering we pretty much had it under control and they had been out all arvo. My point is that they had been out all afternoon and only used lights and sirens once, according to one of the guys. As i mentioned somewhere else, going fast with lights and sirens on is the best bit!

Ah... THAT job. Yeah, it was pretty much under control. Had the SES *not* arrived we would have all been in bed a few hours earlier. Not to bag them, but it seemed to turn into a case of too many cooks..

probie_boy

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »
hahaha...so by that comment i'm assuming that you were there?? Yes the good old fashioned "hurry up and wait" tactics were in full swing there that night!

Toast

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 06:17:33 PM »
Bring the Turfer (sp?) they said.... sit in the rain for 'only a while' they said. Three hours later, wet and mud covered we arrive back at station :P

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 07:41:17 AM »
Bring the Turfer (sp?) they said.... sit in the rain for 'only a while' they said. Three hours later, wet and mud covered we arrive back at station :P

LOL... such a commonly used theory (sit around for only a little while!!!)  :-D

Toast

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 02:02:43 PM »
Dont get me started on the hurry up and wait Hazmats...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 09:02:36 PM »
isnt that the normal story with grassfire striketeams...?

get called a couple hours late, priority one all the way there, stand around for a while, then go home...

strikeathird

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 09:40:04 PM »
^ Ha.. yes.. K.I jobs like that ring a bell !

Toast

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 01:42:40 PM »
Its not worth starting a new thread for this, but oh well. Over the past few days, we've seen a fair number of SES callouts. A lot of these seem to have been inconsistent in terms of the priority of turn out. P1, with two SES units and CFS/MFS, P1/P2 for only a tree down, that sort of thing. What happens if an SES unit is at a job, then get turned out to multiple P1/P2 jobs? Do they finish the current job and then run P1 to the next? Do they end up taking 15-20 mins to turnout then still going P1?

Another question that someone may know the answer to, why are the SES turned out P1/P2 to anyother job apart from RCR/and maaybe Building Impact? Life threat being... none? If the page dictates the response priority, can the OIC downgrade it?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »

16:44:49 24-09-06 CREW REQUIRED FOR LAND SEARCH AT MIDDLETON IMMEDIATELY TO STRATH BASE

16:42:19 24-09-06 MORE CREW REQUIRED FOR SEARCH

16:35:51 24-09-06 SOUTH COAST NOW OPERATIONAL 

16:30:57 24-09-06 MFS: RESPOND SEARCH 24/09/06 16:30,BASHAM BEACH RD,MIDDLETON, MAP 305 N 11 ,,ASSIST POLICE MISSING CHILD POLICE CONTACT NO xxxx xxx xxx,73229*CFSRES:

Just curious i realise CFS aren't trained in land search but surely some of these SES units could do with some more people and there quickly for some searches. There just seems to be some urgent searches going on around the place but they'll pull in units from 30+ kms away for a search when theres multiple CFS brigades within a 10km radius who could provide extensive manpower almost immediatly??? Whats peoples opinion???

And no i'm not searching for calls :-P

Mod Note: Phone number removal
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:01:25 AM by Mike »
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »
Becuase walking in a line and looking at the ground requires a lengthy training course  :wink:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 05:54:25 PM »
Sir i think i found a child lying in the grass.
Are you sure?
Yes, i poked him with my prodder and he swore at me it's definatly a child.
 :-P :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

PF_

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 05:56:49 PM »
yeah it is a good idea and could work.  Do you need to do any trainign for a search in all seriousness.

:lol: mundcfs, it might be chopper :-P

Toast

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 05:59:03 PM »
yeah it is a good idea and could work.  Do you need to do any trainign for a search in all seriousness.

"Ok, now lets all try walking forward and looking at the ground at the same time"
"BUT SIR"
"Yes, son, I know its hard, but we are an Emergency Service, THINK OF THE CHILDREN"

PF_

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 06:17:22 PM »
well you do need accreditation to use a chainsaw or make a sandwich.

Toast

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 06:21:07 PM »
well you do need accreditation to use a chainsaw or make a sandwich.
Yes, but you're hardly going to lop an arm off walking through grass :wink:

Manuel

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »
Well i guess the SES needs to do something on training night other than brush their beards :-D