Author Topic: a bit harsh  (Read 27900 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
a bit harsh
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:19:32 PM »
1908981 08:15:50 04-05-06 FLEX-A    ALPHA  1600  FYI we default again because there was NO driver available, THANKS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DID TURN UP !!! - SEAFORD STATION

Dont know about the rest of you but I think messages like this are a bit harsh. Obviously the brigade has issues with the number of drivers available. But you shouldnt bag the drivers you have that maybe couldnt make the call due to work/family committments etc.Too much being carried on the shoulders of the few drivers they have I think.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: a bit harsh
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:57:27 PM »
mmm if they fell its justified then so be it... there call.

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:23:31 PM »
Seaford need to be told thats not appropriate.  Kind of thing that should be told at training/ meeting night ...

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:40:25 PM »
Yes the wrong thing to say on the pager,now I know why the MFS have land down there... better still train drivers to drive the appliances and if its still a problem well do something about it..............

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »
I was always taught at courses and the CFS/SES Leadership course:-

"praise in public, discipline in private"
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »
Seaford CFS isnt the only brigade to have issues with driver numbers as some of the brigades in Region 5 often have difficulty getting drivers for trucks but we just inform our division base via GRN that there isnt any driver
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »
Day Crew Is Always An Issue, What Was The Job That They Had To Default On???

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 02:53:40 PM »
I personally don't have a problem with messages like this... its obviously an ongoing problem, and discipline in private hasn't fixed it... Maybe sending a page out is a last resort to try and get more crew... IMO its not aimed at the people with commitments who couldn't come, but rather the people who couldn't be bothered coming...  (All completely speculation of course :P)

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
It was a fixed alarm to seaford shopping centre, may be its time the brigade looked at doing something about drivers and getting a few more trainned up. The other problem I have noticed is some brigade who have a waiting list to join will not allow those who are waiting to get involved do the training.. I say remove your waiting list and you may get some day time crews at last into some of these brigades that are having problems.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 10:50:05 AM »
Oops our brigade has poached three members from Seaford in the last 18 months all drivers :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 03:06:15 PM »
Such is life,people will move on with in or with out of the service..... time for a mix of paid and volunteers at some stations like CFA........

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »
lets talk constructively about solutions and avoid any critical views on other stations.

Cheers :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 05:00:44 PM »
sorry only a joke, but look its an on going problem for a lot of brigades.............

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 05:22:16 PM »

Why does it not occur to anybody that the page that was sent out was intended ONLY for Seaford members which would "theoritically" be the case. If there was no online pager decoder we (the public) would not know of this message so it would be private.

The messages on the site are intended just for those who it is addressed too.........If its not on your pager, its not for you.

PF_

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »
I think people are disecting it for the reason that kind of thing ahould not even go on in private between th members, especially not over a page.  Saying what was said on the pager with all the group there at a training night would be much better as then you can hear the tone of the message, hear peoples thoughts, and here the thoughts of the truckies who didnt attend.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »
The person putting out the page might have thought that only his/hers brigade members are the only people seeing the message.
Not everyone knows about the pager web sites. I have told my brigades members that send pages to be carefull about delicate information

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »
I have been a member of a brigade which had problems getting drivers zt call-outs. I was a driver there and went when I could. If I was a driver at Seaford and saw that pager message i would not be impressed.

strikeathird

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 12:19:35 AM »

Why does it not occur to anybody that the page that was sent out was intended ONLY for Seaford members which would "theoritically" be the case. If there was no online pager decoder we (the public) would not know of this message so it would be private.

The messages on the site are intended just for those who it is addressed too.........If its not on your pager, its not for you.

Shutup.

It is common knowledge that the pages can be read... Don't get defensive over something you are not involved in.. And.. if you are involved (e.g a member of that brigade, maybe tell who ever sent it , that next time.. Think who CAN and WILL be reading it..)

Little common sense never goes astray....

Vollunteers are exactly that !  Vollies... Don't publicly bash them by sending pages which can be read by the world... There is the right way, and the wrong way.. of fixing problems...  A page like that is definately the wrong way...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:22:07 AM by strikeathird »

Offline canman

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 01:20:12 PM »

I agree with you F/F Matt.
We don't know if its that brigade's policy or not to send out messages like that. My brigade has done it in the past when we were going through a critical time. We found that making people aware of the situation often brought people back in area for further callouts.
I do believe it could have been worded better. It appears to have a little sarcasm/in your face attitude in it. Not good for moral.

Constructive comments on brigades pager messages is good but criticism without knowing the facts in dangerous.
Extinguish this.......

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »
if its not on your pager, its not for you

this is a good point...

ppl need to remember that paging and GRN radio is our form of communication... this is the same as ppl getting antsy about paging information regarding fatalities/personal involvement/SPAM/etc...
now, ppl need to show there own discretion at what they page out and use common sense, but its not up to us to judge them.

Toast

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »
I dont understand all the people having a go at what others put out on the pagers. If it werent for hte pager scanner websote, or your own scanners, you wouldnt see it. Does it affect you? No!

If a brigade has been defaulting often, the crew deserves a page to get the going.

All we need to do now is scrap the current pagin system and have a system whereby we get "Respond: Incident @ location" Nothing specifc as to what it is. You cant pick and choose then.

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »
I read today that seaford is to have dual responce to all calls till further notice due to manning problems.. Hope they can get some new members soon who are able to drive the appliances...

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 09:18:53 PM »
Yes, dual response with Morphett-Vale.

probie_boy

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »
Seaford is a fairly highly populated area, you would think that someone would join. Why don't they just do the "we need you now, or else we won't exist" pamphlet drop. It shouldn't have to come to that ever, but it looks like its happening more and more now. :|

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 10:34:54 AM »
My opinion only & because I live near there. Majority of people who live near Seaford CFS work either at Lonsdale, McLaren Vale region wineries or the city. Thus they are not near the station for your truck rollout time during the day.

The nearby shopping centre is being rebuilt and they also have had a a lot of fire alarm checking lately.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything