Author Topic: CALLSIGNS ON APPLIANCES  (Read 3377 times)

Good times

CALLSIGNS ON APPLIANCES
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:08:07 PM »
Now that a number of brigades have new appliances I have noticed a number of brigades that used to have 2 x 24's or 2 x 34's and now have a 24Pand a 24 yet still call the single 24 Alpha 24, how does that work, I was under the impression that if there is only one of an appliance then its just 24. I know for example Tailem Bend and Mt Compass do it, now there should be no reason to call it aplha, Mt pleasent until this year had two 24's and now have a 24P and kept their A24, the first thing they did was remove the A from the truck and now  just call it 24, I think is time the others follow that example.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Tailem Bend Alpha 24
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 09:34:47 PM »
Well call us superstitious but how can you just rename an appliance like that?  :)

Sure, the Alpha (or Bravo if you're overendowed with the same appliance type) was designed to differentiate between two or more appliances of the same type. Tailem had two Hino 24's delivered in 1990 and we had to chase down the "A's" and spent ages putting them on "just right!"  :)

In 1998 when the first P "pumper" (at the time I asked if it would be Tailem Bend Papa 24 but it didn't seem to catch on!!) arrived, yes, we realised Alpha didn't need to be Alpha anymore. But too late, Alpha she was and Alpha she is!!! 24 is still 24 and lives at Narrung, the new pumper is "pee" (or Bella Isuzu to it's friends) and Alpha is Alpha and that's all she wrote.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

CALLSIGNS ON APPLIANCES
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
If i were to hear that on a radio communication tho, I would honestly assume this meant you had another Rural 24 either out and about, or back at the shed.

I think keeping the Alpha on an appliance when it is not needed is not only rather pointless, but confusing also.

corocfs

CALLSIGNS ON APPLIANCES
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 05:28:21 PM »
before our 24P was labelled 24P it used to be A24, but it was our primary to all incidents (which apparently confused the rest of our group and so it was re-named, which is fair enough, because by rights it is powerful enough to be labelled a 24P with its PTO pump).
it was called alpha simply because it replaced the old A24 which was the worst of the two we had, and although A24 is meant to be a secondary appliance, whos going  to roll an old 1970s 24 before they roll our current 24P???

**probably should have been called 24 and had old 24 changed to A24 to begin with** but we got fond of calling it alpha

besides isnt the alpha male the most powerful (leader) of a wolf-pack? makes sense to me....

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Redundant Alphas
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 01:58:43 AM »
Yes, Strikeathird, logically you are probably correct! It may be pointless to hang on to a redundant alpha, but surely not that confusing?
I don't think anyone assuming that we had another rural back in the station (which technically we do with the RUP) would bring the service to an operational halt. Rest assured all the people who need to know, know what is in our station. Could be construed as pointless to have to remove the A's (placed with loving care sob, sob), change all the Group, Brigade and Specific risk and response plans, automatic alarms, whiteboard magnets etc. Although we did survive the change from the 41, 42 days :-)

Alpha doesn't necessarliy designate rural. Alpha was actually the "urban" vehicle when delivered and until 1998 carried the "urban" stowage kit and rescue gear (and was therefore lead structural/special appliance). Another Brigade in our Group has 2 x 24's and one of them has an "urban" stowage kit, the other "rural".

We do actually have two 24's. Maybe "alpha" will be replaced with another 24P and she can be ALPHA 24P LOL!!
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: CALLSIGNS ON APPLIANCES
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 11:31:13 PM »
keep it simple simon

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 10:01:04 AM »
^  nice post to bring a 12 month old thread out of the cobwebs... :?

:roll:

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
strikeanerd is too cool for me :lol:

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »
If you were any funnier I would think you were a comedian !!

:roll:

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 05:34:29 PM »
lets play nice in the sandbox  :-D