Author Topic: Country people are made of tuff stuff  (Read 6484 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Country people are made of tuff stuff
« on: May 15, 2006, 03:42:02 PM »
Saw the news article below.

I can't imagine the pain he was in while working the chainsaw. Then to realise that his broken leg was trapped under the tree he was cutting :|

Then to light a fire.

Wow.
------------------------------------------------------
Farmer under fallen tree chainsaws his way to freedom. 15/05/2006. ABC News Online

[This is the print version of story http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1638470.htm]

Last Update: Monday, May 15, 2006. 11:37am (AEST)
Farmer under fallen tree chainsaws his way to freedom
The resourcefulness of outback Australians has been exhibited once again.

A farmer at Girilambone, near Nyngan in central western NSW, has managed to chainsaw his way to freedom after a tree fell on him and broke his leg.

The ambulance service says the man was clearing a paddock on Saturday evening when the tree fell and broke his thigh bone.

He managed to break up the tree with his chainsaw, crawl away and light a fire.

He was kept warm over the next five hours by curious sheep that he found difficult to shoo away.

The farmer was taken by the Royal Flying Doctor Service to Dubbo Base Hospital where he has undergone surgery.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Country people are made of tuff stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:34:13 PM »
He was kept warm over the next five hours by curious sheep that he found difficult to shoo away.

wasnt a new zealander was he???

but seriously, makes me think of the rockclimber that had to amutate his own arm after a rockfall, and the farmer that was pinned by the leg under an overturned tractor and amuptated his own leg at the knee after a few days some years ago...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »
It makes you wonder huh but im suprised he managed to operate a chainsaw after sustaining a broken leg as it would have severely impacted on his ability to operate the chainsaw because of extreme pain
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »
cool..... hope he was wearing his chaps ;)

probie_boy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »
what a tough unit! gee you'd hope his aim with the chainsaw was good or else he'd be in a lot more pain!

I have the book about the rockclimber. He had to cut his arm off with a freakin pocketknife! Worst of all is he took photo's of his whole experience, and everyone of them is in the book. Worst one is the photo of the trapped bit of arm post-amputation. He took the photo as he said goodbye to his arm. :-o

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 08:56:15 PM »
see we are wild animals after all :-)

probie_boy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »
yewah, blood everywhere on the rock

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:58:14 PM »
After watching the interview on nine last night about the two guys from Tassie,one would have to say that those guys in tassie are tough.........

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »
After watching the interview on nine last night about the two guys from Tassie,one would have to say that those guys in tassie are tough.........

Yes, i believe it's from inbreeding :-o :-P
Lt. Goolwa CFS

probie_boy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 02:35:29 PM »
ooh low blow. however, while we're sitting here working our asses off in our pure bloodlines, they're flying to new york to sell their story to Oprah.

PF_

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
Its more likely Oprah's buying their story rather than them selling it.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 04:04:42 PM »
but are they??? i was pretty sure they sold exclusive rights to channel 9...

but how would that be, seeling your story for a few million... geez i wouldnt mind...

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 04:17:03 PM »
I believe the exclusive rights are only limited to Australian production / television.  So they can sell the story to any where overseas and outside of Australia.

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 04:34:57 PM »
thast correct nine bought the aussie rights and now the guys are in NEW YORK,they said that they will give some of the money back to the community and some to mrs knight..

PF_

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »
I heard reports saying they would send 10% to the Knight family.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
but how would that be, seeling your story for a few million... geez i wouldnt mind...

Yeh, but I would not want to go through being trapped to earn the opportunity.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 01:07:29 PM »
thats true...  :roll:

probie_boy

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 05:58:14 PM »
yeah sitting 1 km underground in a tiny donkey cage for 2 weeks, kinda makes earning that couple of million feasible...

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »
I dont think any kind of money can be enough to give these guys for what they went through..they will have this for the rest of their life and they will also have to deal with on going medical problems but above all they will have to deal with the loss of a workmate and a friend...The money will help in some was but will not resolve the dark side...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 09:40:20 AM »
I dont think any kind of money can be enough to give these guys for what they went through..they will have this for the rest of their life and they will also have to deal with on going medical problems but above all they will have to deal with the loss of a workmate and a friend...The money will help in some was but will not resolve the dark side...

Hopefully the same logic will be applied to the people forming the Case against CFS & MAC over Black Tuesday.

The Advertiser newspaper had a story http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19227135-1246,00.html this week stating "...All up the group involves 50 to 60 people with total damages sought between $15 million and $20 million," Mr Humphries said. "Most of those affected are seeking between $300,000 and $500,000...."

I know that it is dangerous to comment a lot in a public forum, but the impact of Black Tuesday in many ways (good & bad)is/will be huge.

I still believe country people are tuffer than city folks as per this Topic title, but........
Andrew Macmichael