Author Topic: Kalangadoo CFS  (Read 54062 times)

Toast

Re: Kalangadoo CFS
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2006, 12:34:44 AM »
The average age in the CFS is 40+

rescue5271

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2006, 08:06:38 AM »
PF,both brigades or towns tht you are looking at moving into have a very strong CFS brigade,and they are always looking for new members.. Mind you they are only caba,hazmat,brigades,ses do rcr in those towns....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2006, 09:17:48 AM »
I would advise against you going out to Roxby Downs PF to join an emergency service there as they already have a strong brigade like Blinky said

Unless you are planning to finish your diesel mechanics apprenticeship and want to head out there(Roxby Downs) to finish it you might as well try you luck at joining Olympic Dam Emergency Services only you'll have to contact Western Mining Coporation and see if they will take you on as an apprentice at Olympic Dam

Olympic Dam Emergency Services does all the same things as CFS like RCR,CABA,Hazchem and so on but they also do fire & rescue response in the mines as well

If my dad had of gotten a job there many years ago i would ended up being a fire fighter with Olympic Dam Emergency Services when i was older
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 09:20:23 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
Due to cut backs Kalangadoo will not be getting the air stripe and the pumper is on hold so I have found a 14 to put in there just in case the mill goes ahead...Only problem is that its a TONKA truck 14...Will that do :?

PF_

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2006, 11:01:33 AM »
I mean going into diesel mechanics at Roxby not emergency services.  Probably wouldnt be able to be CFS at KEith or Bordetwon as Id be staying at my grandads' farm while there which is halfway between keith and Bordertown.  Then after doing my apprenticeship come back to the city and join MFS. 

Rob, have you ever thought of moving to Mt Gambier getting a job there and joining the auxilleries as it seems you are very keen to be in the fire service but Kalangadoo doesnt seem to be working out?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
The thing is PF i have been living in Kalangadoo for 22 years and if the brigade does fold then chances are it will start back up again because of the community feeling unsafe without a local brigade

I do have a backup plan for if and when the brigade goes into recession but thats all i can tell you as its top secret  :wink: and no its not the goal that i have been aiming at
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile

rescue5271

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2006, 04:25:27 PM »
Nice looking appliances there is one of these in the MOUNT and it goes well so they tell me..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »
I like the design of that truck but if something like that is purchased for the pulp mill then a 2000 or 3000 litre tank will have to be fitted on it
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
I like the design of that truck but if something like that is purchased for the pulp mill then a 2000 or 3000 litre tank will have to be fitted on it
There seems to be a lot of room on the back that should make fitting a tank easy... And of course you'd have to paint it white too ;)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2006, 06:13:35 PM »
The fire trucks over at our mill are red
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »
Well that will save a little extra money.... ;)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:33 PM »
Its gonna be another 2 years before this mill is up and running as there is some red tape still to cut

When it does start up i have no dobut they will be asking for employees and a fire crew
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2006, 08:51:42 PM »
Robert: Has anyone in your brigade done a recruitment workshop that the CFS run????? If not why not,if you are having problems then the brigade needs to fix them and pull their finger out and have a open day,get the media involved but above all, be more filtered positive about the community that you protect...Yes there is life out there....some where..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »
Hey Blinky thats a real good idea i might as well do a recruitment workshop because no one else in our brigade wants to even pull their finger out

The last open day i can remember our brigade having was when we unveiled that Ash Wednesday Memorial Plaque

If possible can you let me know when the next course is being held in Region 5 so i can go and do it  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2006, 08:50:48 AM »
Robert contact the regional VSO and I am sure she would be happy to help you do a open day you guys need to pull ya heads in and get moving or loose it....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »
I agree with you we should be pulling our fingers into gear instead of running the risk of going into recession with no chance of starting up again

Back in the 90's our brigade used to have 2-3 crews during day & night time hours but its gone down hill since then due to many members quitting because of medical problems or family reasons
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:28:11 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2006, 01:50:18 PM »
Why the hell would you have 2-3 crews? you only have one truck!!!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2006, 02:26:55 PM »
Well F/F Matt back in the 90's we had 18 active members and that made up 3 crews... what im trying to say is that whenever we had a big fire 1 crew would go out as first response and the 2nd or 3rd crew would be relief
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:31:23 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2006, 02:55:19 PM »
robert, I'm no mt barker, but we are situated on a through area (main road to the freeway) and we never seem to have huge problems with membership and crewing. We occasionally struggle on weekdays, but thats it. We recently had a bushfire awareness thing and we really whored up the trucks and station and we got 5 new members out of it. So it shows that open days and so on work.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2006, 07:59:21 PM »
How many appliances does yr brigade have probie as we've only got 1 appliance and only 7 active members so if something doesnt happen soon in terms of the town supporting us they will have no fire cover come next fire seasonĀ  :-(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:07:54 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2006, 09:03:48 PM »
Robert,it will not be the end of your town if you dont have fire cover,penola and nang would be there fast...Hate to say this but a problem in your town needs to be aired..Call a public meeting and put the cards on the table.Make sure you follow the chain of command before you do anything...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2006, 09:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice Blinky but it is just the matter of getting it aired at a brigade meeting where issues like this are very hard to put on the table

Also i have heard on the vines somewhere that our brigade isnt the only one likely to fold in the next few months
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2006, 11:43:43 PM »
Seems like all we talk about lately is this brigade and its problems..

Ring your regional HQ. Make them aware of the issues... This forum isn't going to solve anything...  Go through your VSO, or RHQ Commander...  or RO or GO... Do something other than talk about it on here.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2006, 01:21:28 AM »
Well striker, this thread IS dedicated to Kalangadoo CFS... ;)
And as far as talking about it here not solving anything, from my experience with dealing with the region, whinging on a forum is probably just as helpful :P