Author Topic: Roxby  (Read 18933 times)

Offline Evac

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Roxby
« on: May 20, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »
Heard today that with the growth expected for Roxby in the coming years that they need a full time emergency service. What i heard was that the MFS are looking at a fulltime day crew with retained as support 24/7. The owners of Olympic Dam will remain doing their own mine however the town will be looked after by the MFS.... :?
Practice Doesn't Make Perfect....... Perfect Practice Makes Perfect..

rescue5271

Re: Roxby
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »
Sure and pig's might fly next week,I can not see SAFECOM letting the MFS open a station there when there is a a good volunteer brigade there that are able to do the job.westing mining have a excellent fire/rescue service that is also able to help in the town if asked to.There would not be enough work for the MFS and more than likely the would bus them in and out of town to do there shifts...If this is true has anyone asked the CFS brigade how they feel or if they need help :?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »
I agree Blinky and plus Roxby Downs CFS has good back up from Olympic Dam Emergency Services
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 11:46:31 AM »
is there an echo on this forum?

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:04:19 PM »
YEP ECHO :SURE MOUNT BARKER HAVE NOT MOVED????

PF_

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »
is there an echo in this forum...this forum....this...for...this for...this....um.........

Offline Ports

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 05:35:48 PM »
Yes, my mail has it that there truth to this rumour. It's is only a matter of the Commission in conjunction with BHP Billiton deciding whether the station will be retained or full-time.

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 09:01:49 PM »
What a waste of tax payers money if this goes a head,and one would hope that BHP will not support this move,funny in Victoria recently BHP in line with its community program helped build a new CFA fire station at Port campbell....

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:46:14 PM »
Hi there all

Well I know for fact, its noted in the old act when the town was formed - when the township population reached 10,000 there is provisions for MFS.

Well in response to the above - the population was meant to reach this figure 5 years ago but never (current population less less then 5000)

this agreement was with WMC - but its now owned by BHP.

CFS in Roxby is struggling with numbers - but what a waste of my tax dollars. I honestly believe there is other area within the Adelaide areas which should be considered more higher on the listings for MFS stations.

But I have been working in Roxby for over 16 years and I will believe it when I see it.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 02:46:30 PM »
I honestly believe there is other area within the Adelaide areas which should be considered more higher on the listings for MFS stations.

*cough*mt barker*cough*
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline Ports

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:25:51 PM »
Believe it or not your comment may come to fruition. Apart from the MFS building new stations at Paradise, Beulah Park (Norwood)& Roxby Downs, my mail has it that MFS stations are going to be built at Mt Barker and Seaford also.

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 06:23:47 AM »
Fireblanket: what do you mean in ya mail?? was it a letter to you or some junk mail that was in ya mail box from the MFS/union?????  MFS still have to change there boundary before they can open a station but at the same time they can buy land but that would be under safecom and not mfs????

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 10:42:25 AM »
I think the safecom act allows boundary changes with little or no trouble - could be wrong though...

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »
We already know that the MFS are putting in a station at Seaford, Aldinga and Mt Barker, if your not sure just have a look at the UFU website. The brigades in these areas aren't stupid, I'm sure they can see the writing is on the wall, yeah they may keep a rural truck or two but get realistic people.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 03:50:22 PM »
But are they really putting in stations or is the union doing some brown string,have seen them do this before in Melbourne only to upset the Volunteers and it backfired on them I would not worry till I see a plan and a large fire station being built on it.......we all know how the union works.......

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 09:06:41 AM »
whos worried??? i say bring it on. 24/7 fire and RCR coverage without the worry of day crews/lack of drivers/no rescue crew etc...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »
Doesnt Olympic Dam Emergency Service provide backup RCR cover for Roxby Downs CFS as it says on the CFS promotions website that Olympic Dam Emergency service carries RCR equipment on their appliances
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 11:31:14 AM »
mmm they carry the gear, but Roxby SES would be primary for that area with Andamooka SES for backup/defualy

PF_

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »
Maybe Roxby have the gear for rescue and work at the mine, cut and spread any problems etc.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 12:09:24 PM »
Hi there all

Well I can confirm BHP Emergency Services have three sets of Holmatro Gear (two sets on the surface and a set Underground) - and they do back up the town Volunteer Emergency Services when required or asked (in Ambulace - Fire & Rescue).

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 07:49:03 PM »
Wayne,as you are up that way is there any truth that the MFS are coming or that they have the land and if so how does teh local CFS brigade feel???????????????

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »
Blinky

Thanks for asking - What i do know all agencies have been asked to put a proposal together as the up and comming expansion is huge - being all emergency services agencies.

Some organisation have deliberately let rumors slip hoping to cause a stir as Roxby will become a huge town within the future of SA - and I believe it will become a powerplay within the political sector.

There is no land that has been allocated (know for a fact)we have enough trouble housing the existing workforce.

Just to clarify the above - its not a rumor but BHP is like any other large organisation they are asking external agencies of what emergency response capabilities they are able to provide with the looming expansion planned.

I hope this set some minds at ease - as for Roxby I honestly believe I will NOT see MFS in Roxby Downs within the next 5 years (this is my view only as I think the costs with far out weigh the current need - but politics work in funny ways)

As I have said in previous post there is alot of other areas within SA which currently have MFS and shouldn't and others whom have CFS brigades and shouldn't (for those whom have been around will know whom & what I am talking about.

Thanks

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

rescue5271

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »
Thanks for that wayne,see it does pay now and then to ask people who live up that way....

anything