Author Topic: Independant Firefighters Union for the CFS  (Read 13154 times)

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Independant Firefighters Union for the CFS
« on: May 21, 2006, 07:00:09 PM »
Feel this would improve our needs,what do you think?

Toast

Re: Independant Firefighters Union for the CFS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 07:16:02 PM »
It could. A group, much like the FRAG, that can differentiate the needs of rural brigades and urban brigades and act accordingly would be SUCH a leap forward.

Sadly we can't all exist soley on a single spec. 34P!

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 08:13:25 PM »
A very good idea. Does anyone know what happened to FRAG and what brigades belonged to it. i think if the FRAG or something similar was established we would have problems with the rulings for what makes you a frequent responder. I reckon we would have this problem because if the FRAG was established and the members of it got the best of everything (equipment, training) the non members would be really pissed especially those who just missed out on being a frequent responder.

BTW What makes a Frequent Responder? Call Numbers, SFEC's...

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »
Do we need a union?? is it not the job / role of the VFBA to support its members?? As for FRAGS this was only for the so called busy brigade's and they where way over the top and way out of touch with the real CFS.....

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:03:10 PM »
Ok, Whats the real CFS then mate... there is a huge difference in needs for brigades! you cant just have one association for your Salisburys and the infamous Kalangadoo. Different needs, people, equipment and huge difference in brigade activity.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »
Believe to be apart of FRAG your brigade had to attend an average of one call p/week??? There might be other criteria but I'm not sure
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:21:43 AM »
As for FRAGS this was only for the so called busy brigade's and they where way over the top and way out of touch with the real CFS.....

As has already been said, what is the real CFS? And so called busy brigades? Is there not a small difference between your handful of calls and hundreds of calls a year brigades?

Currently things seem to be a bit 'way out of touch' with urban Brigades, in terms of appliances/stations etc... Maybe there needs to be a more distinct Urban/Rural split, in terms of management.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:11:46 AM »
as blinky mentioned, the VFBA is the "union" of the CFS, and since it's made up of all of us, you get out of it what you put into it.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 11:14:32 AM »
The only issue i have with the VFBA is that it is funded by the C.F.S so why would it want to bite the hand that feeds it???

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:22:39 AM »
The only issue i have with the VFBA is that it is funded by the C.F.S so why would it want to bite the hand that feeds it???

I think that's a fairly simplified description of the funding, but that aside, how else would they be funded?  given we don't get paid I don't think many people would be keen to pay $x per week for it.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »
People have enough issues now with the funds they contribute out of their own pockets for CFS - let alone to go towards a union.

FRAG did achieve a lot, for all of CFS, however their focus was primarily for the busy and very active brigades, however what they raised was aprofile and that filtered to all brigades.

Just a pity that FRAG was a huge commitment for those that were on it and they too had lives, work, families, social lives and CFS brigade commitments.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »
What do u mean by extra commitment?

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 05:46:19 PM »
well from where I sit and what people in te busy brigades have said that some members of FRAGS went overboard,wanting to be paid for this and that.Is that not a retained fire service????there should be no difference from a busy brigade that does 300 and a rural brigade that does 20 or 50 calls thay all have there needs and these need to be met.

Offline E-ONE

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 08:19:25 PM »
No difference......150 calls, 2000-5000 more houses, medium to large shopping complexes, several schools, several arterial roads, mulitple industrial sites and service stations.  :-P

Although no CFS area is the same there are similarities but there is also a huge difference between Coomandook and Morphett Vale or Burnside and Kalangadoo :lol:

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »
Thank GOD I dont live in kalangadoo.............

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 09:34:17 PM »
If my dad had of taken a job in Ceduna or at Olympic Dam when i was just a little kid i would have ended up being a fire fighter with Roxby or Ceduna CFS rather than Kalangadoo where there is issues with crewing and members not getting along with each other
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 11:38:50 PM »
Honestly Robert get out of that town and move on because that town will swallow you up
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 12:07:39 AM »
If my dad had of taken a job in Ceduna or at Olympic Dam when i was just a little kid i would have ended up being a fire fighter with Roxby or Ceduna CFS rather than Kalangadoo where there is issues with crewing and members not getting along with each other

What on earth has this got to do with the thread?

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 07:39:03 AM »
Personally i would pay a union fee,its tax deductable and we offer free fuel getting to the fire station.So who cares giving a little bit more if its going to help things.If you always do the same things,you always get the same things.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »
as blinky mentioned, the VFBA is the "union" of the CFS, and since it's made up of all of us, you get out of it what you put into it.

HMM well our brigade aint in the VFBA (so's to speak, we dumped them) and i believe its the same deal with most if not all of our group.

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 03:57:11 PM »
But you can not join the UFU as they dont allow volunteers to join..I am not sure if they let the retain MFS guys join????

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 04:08:44 PM »
I dont hear much about the VFBA these days only in the volunteer magazine thats about it
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 04:33:07 PM »
Big VFBA meeting in Naracoorte tonight 8pm ...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »
HMM well our brigade aint in the VFBA (so's to speak, we dumped them) and i believe its the same deal with most if not all of our group.

Every volunteer is represented by the VFBA, without exception.  When you dumped them, you only lost your voting rights. Hence, you are now represented by a union that you have no say in...

I agree that there needs to be an independent union. Realistically, the VFBA doesn't do much for volunteers, especially when compared with what the UFU can achieve. Sure they've brought about a few changes, and fought a few battles for the volunteers, but are the volunteers actually any better off because of them?

I believe the SAVFBA is funded by brigades paying membership (only ~$20 a year). Why can't the brigades just spend that money on the independent union, without any out of pocket expenses from vollies?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 04:46:26 PM »
hah well at least we save our $20 then