Author Topic: Scania's and Pumpers  (Read 10348 times)

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Scania's and Pumpers
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 04:36:42 PM »
I think personally that European trucks definitely have the edge over their American and Japanese counterparts.
By the way when I say European, I DON'T mean Pommy crap.

The European trucks usually have higher tech, quieter motors, better retarders and braking, turning circles and chassis and overall build of the vehicles is far better.

I make a lot of this basis upon lots of vehicles I have driven or worked on in my numerous jobs.(coach driver & auto electrician)

As for using Scania's for fire appliances, they are exceptionally good and I don't know of any firefighting crew that honestly don't like them.

Regards, Mat
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »
plus... they actually look like a real fire truck!!!

but in reality it has very little to do with its fire fighting capability... hmm except for PTOs i guess  :?

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
I think Medevac their firefighting capabilities are excellent with the Darley LDMH 1000 pump able to shift large amounts of water.

A lot of thought has been put into the bodies/locker setup on these vehicles with all lockers low to ground for easier access and airbag rear suspension which also lowers appliance whilst in punping mode once again for easier locker access and for ladders etc.

I have been in the MFS for nearly 14 years now and have used many different pumpers over the years and these are by far the best produced so far.

I think Medevac that the truck is only just one small part of the package, but a excellent, reliable vehicle with a well built and thought out body and good quality pump and you should have a winner.

These at the end of the day are only two wheel drive urban pumps and good only for that purpose so I hope that they can produce excellent four wheel drive pumpers fit for country use.

Regards, Mat

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 10:52:10 PM »
but really how much does that have to do with the chassis itself??? all the firefighting capability is really to do with thwe buildup i think?

dont get me wrong, i think they are a great build of pumper

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 11:12:34 PM »
Yep, Fair call.

If you stuck the same body on a Volvo it would be just as good, but on other chassis might be average.

Regards, Mat

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 07:20:31 AM »
but really how much does that have to do with the chassis itself??? all the firefighting capability is really to do with thwe buildup i think?

dont get me wrong, i think they are a great build of pumper

Have you been for a ride in a Scania? Leaves everything else for dead, in an Urban context. Superior fire fighter comfort & superior ride and handling ie: superior safety (IMO).....

You are correct that as far as fire fighting the chassis matters not. Take a ride in a Scania you will understand why people seem to have this irrational love for them.. :-D

PF_

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 10:14:23 PM »
Plus they look cool.  They look sweet at night with the flashing lights. :-P

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 10:59:21 PM »
ive played with them, but never ridden in one...

i know there a great truck and buildup, was just stating a fact.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »
They are very nice to ride in and even to drive (scanias). I am one of the lucky ones who gets to do it fairly often. lol

pumprescue

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:42 AM »
Stirling Pumper=

Compact and well presented is this low cost solution for Medium Pumper requirements. This Pumper is based on the relatively inexpensive FVD950 Isuzu Dual-cab and offers an extremely affordable alternative to Scania or M.A.N. Medium Pumpers.