Author Topic: alcohol, drugs & the fireground  (Read 3002 times)

probie_boy

alcohol, drugs & the fireground
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:59:19 PM »
Has anyone ever had to deal with a crew member, whether in their brigade or someone elses, that has rocked up to an incident whilst drunk or on drugs of some kind? :?

I have heard about it here and there, but was just wondering how common it is and what OIC's and the like do with these crew members, both during and after the incident. Obviously, don't name names.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: alcohol, drugs & the fireground
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:12:06 PM »
Many, many years ago we had some people respond to a callout who had been drinking. The OIC did not need to say anything. The rest of the crew had already told the person to go home or stay in the LHQ buildings.

To continue the discussion on drugs, I assume this just refers to illegal substances.

I have issues with anyone on pain killers because that can mask an injury and maybe that person is trying to be a hero by doing tasks they should not be doing.

Thus is the person on prescription pain killers is a risk to the rest of the crew ? In some cases YES.

But how do you handle it when the crew is trying to rush out the door in the truck ????

I believe a personal privacy issue exists because there is a limit on what you can ask medically of a person.

Or am I wrong on the above ??
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

Re: alcohol, drugs & the fireground
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
have only seen it on a course many years ago,you should never drink too much while doing a CABA course as we where all informed if you spew up you will wear the mask all day and this poor guy had to. when I know look back on it he is a high ranking paid staff member in the CFA.... :roll:

anything