Author Topic: Small incident catering  (Read 13375 times)

strikeathird

Re: Small incident catering
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 03:30:25 PM »
Can you butter bread?

Can you spread vegemite?

Can you fold gladwrap?

Congratulations you have PASSED !

:P

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »
Sometimes it is not that easy (wish it was)....the question was posed because of the food poisoning risk and the following pager message:

"11:41:41 21-06-06 GROUP INFO: A FOOD HANDLING COURSE IS BEING RUN BY THE COUNCIL TONIGHT AT 1900 AT THE HACKHAM SPORTS CLUB (NEXT TO MORPHETT VALE STATION) ANYONE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING PLEASE CONTACT M/VALE LT 1 - MATT -  - MAWSON BASE"
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
Food handling and safety courses are essential in todays society. It's not as easy as it used to be as if a food poisoning incident breaks out and the people handling the food caused this and did not have the proper training they can then be held personally liable for any outcome of the outbreak.

This may be worst case scenario but even if the food is not being sold to people all the food safety and hygiene rules still apply.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »
I am SO very proud of my food handling course that I did. It was great. There were about 10 of us, two of us were operational firies, the rest were Brigade Auxillary, and my god, its the closest I've ever come to seeing an all out fight.

But hey, another usless qualification.

Anyways, in regards to what probie_boy said with people coming in and saying, "OH HAY heres some pizza and garlic bread, go for it!" Its been more than once that I've seen that happen with no correct allocation of food-crews, and hence some get stuffed full of food while other go hungry :(

PF_

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »
law of the jungle, first in first served.

Toast

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 05:07:22 PM »
Sadly, its bullshit on the fireground

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 05:27:13 PM »
Anyways, in regards to what probie_boy said with people coming in and saying, "OH HAY heres some pizza and garlic bread, go for it!" Its been more than once that I've seen that happen with no correct allocation of food-crews, and hence some get stuffed full of food while other go hungry :(

had that happen to me a couple of times... very filtering unhappy

rescue5271

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 07:57:13 PM »
Our auxiliary have done a food handling course,some have done level one and some have done level 2,first aid, radio and few have done road law. there are 15 members who do a great job and I have seen our station turned into a fast kitchen in a matter of minutes and meals  walking out the doors.. Just come and do a CFS course here in Naracoorte meals are great...

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 09:11:46 AM »
The potential for food poisoning during Black Tuesday resulted in eskies of food being chucked out because nobody knew how long they'd been there...

Imagine feeding everyone and then having them all end up in A & E with food poisoning...

I managed to find a ham and cheese sandwich that had been sitting on the dash of an appliance at 1530...I hadn't eaten since 0400 and I didn't care if it gave me food poisoning..it was food!

rescue5271

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 12:45:32 PM »
that is why when you do large scale catering you need to date/time and pack the food in ice and send out to the fireground.also check that people who are doing the catering know what they have to do and make sure that you also meet the needs of members who have special food requirements...This is a good job for the brigade/group logistics officer to follow on with...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 09:36:02 PM »
It reminds me of that VB ad on tv where the 3 guys end up in A&E because of eating kebabs after having a few VB's  :lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade

PF_

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »
after a hard nights drinking, a kebab and if the garlic sauce doesnt kill you the next day your missus will.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 01:27:33 PM »
How many brigades out there carry kettles or portable stoves on their appliances for coffee?  Theres nothing like a hot drink at 3am...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
How many brigades out there carry kettles or portable stoves on their appliances for coffee?  Theres nothing like a hot drink at 3am...

I know that Field Commands are different, but one of the first tasks the volunteers do when arriving on site is to setup the big urn, get the water boiling and setup the coffee/tea/soup supplies. We also carry six 10litre packs of filtered water for crews to use.

This helps especially for a pre-dawn gathering for a land search. It can get the crews coming to us rather than chase them for crew lists paperwork to be completed. :wink:

I admit we keep the biscuits within the Field Command for during the day, otherwise they disappear toooo quickly.  :roll:
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 02:55:39 PM »
Uh PF i think it was if the missus doesnt kill you then the garlic sauce will  :lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2006, 04:26:57 PM »

Yep.... both trucks, bloddy fantastic for the long nights at jobs.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 04:39:21 PM »
mundcfs: What setup do you have? A kettle or stove? Do you use a 240 volt kettle and generator, or 12 volt?

PF_

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006, 04:58:55 PM »
Uh PF i think it was if the missus doesnt kill you then the garlic sauce will  :lol:

:lol: yeah thats the one, my bad.

rescue5271

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »
mobile coffee and food shop would be great.....at some early morning calls.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 11:22:33 PM »

Yep.... both trucks, bloddy fantastic for the long nights at jobs.

Gas Mate stove that run off the cans of gas and a kettle. We used to have a electric kettle but our gen. set would trip out when using it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2006, 06:42:45 AM »
Once used Golden Chef van (when they were around) at a hazmat. Worked ok but probably a bit on the expensive side but was effective.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 02:31:53 PM »
salvo's = awesome

sorry for being off topic but i have an interesting story about the salvo's. One of my grandfathers mates fought in Papua New Guinea during WWII. During one battle, this guy and another soldier are being pinned down by machine gun fire when my grandfathers mate jokingly said "jeez, i'd love a smoke". As though out of nowhere this salvo dressed in camo casually strolls up behind them and says "would you boys like a smoke?", handing them a pack each. It completely freaked out my grandfathers mate, especially considering he had just said and there were bullets everywhere. strange stuff, good story i reckon.
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 10:37:51 AM »
Interesting pager message last night to 'SES State Duty Officer' and local resources.

20:11:23 03-07-06 MFS: RESPOND CATERING 03/07/06 20:09,QUORN TOWN,QUORN, MAP 0 0 0 ,,PLS CONTACT MFS COMMS RE CATERING FOR 16 TAFE STUDENTS FOLLOWING RETRIEVAL AT QUORN,79550*CFSRES:

18:51:34 03-07-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: QUORN RESPOND TO DUTCHMANS STERN CONS. PARK, SAPOL REQUEST LIGHTING AT DUTCHMANS STERN BUILDING IN RESERVE... LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON SCENE - MANPOWER REQUIRED > 3/07/2006 18:51:18

18:38:15 03-07-06 MFS: RESPOND LIGHTING 03/07/06 18:34,QUORN SES,QUORN, MAP 0 A 0 ,,P3 FOR POLICE/SAAS FWD CONTROL AT DUTCHMANS STERN RESERVE, ALSO CATERING FOR 16 TAFE STUDENTS, CONTACT (mobile phone),76729*CFSRES:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:42:37 AM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 11:48:49 AM »
yeah, what was that incidente about?
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 01:52:26 PM »
Does this mean that SES still do catering?

anything