Author Topic: roadside marker's  (Read 4264 times)

rescue5271

roadside marker's
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:38:16 PM »
Good story on 60 Min's,tonight about roadside markers and how people deal with them,and for some people its closesure or a place to have as their own shrine. I understand that and in many ways have some compassion towards the family's and friends but these shrines are also a road hazard and can all so easy cause another car accident by people turning there heads to look at them. Some are not small and if one drives up the duke's or riddoch hwy you will see alot as you will in other areas. Is it fair for those emergency workers who where there to be reminded of what took place there???  We all have to move on in life no matter what happens,and I am sure that emergency workers don't need to be reminded of the bad side of our job as we drive up and down the highways..
THIS IS MY VIEW ONLY.....

Toast

Re: roadside marker's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:51:45 AM »
How dare you remeber someone you lost, becuase it gives me bad memories...

I think they serve as a reminder to stay safe on the road.

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:43 AM »
I don't mean to offend anyone by my comments,so if I have I am sorry.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:17:03 PM »
Yes it is sad for the families, but I think they are a bit of a hazard.
Well I always look at them

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 01:53:41 PM »
Bit of a touchy topic...  Especially to those who may be directly involved in such circumstances..  However - I think there should be boundaries..  EG - The black and red poles (5 foot high of what ever they are)  are a timely reminder as to the events that have occured at the scene.. a small bunch of flowers or the like is quite appropriate.. I think the boundary has to be drawn when the rememberance icon / shrine turns to a distraction and danger to other motorists.. I recall one in an area I used to live in which was of hot debate because it was a danger to other motorists as it was a distraction....... 

Touchy and very difficult subject though... And I for one would not be prepared to tell the family who lost a loved one to pull down / remove some items in there shrine because it is distracting to other motorists.. I can't see it being taken too well...

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »
im a for and against person on this subject but one thing i will say.

How ditzy of a driver do you have to be to be distracted by a black pole with some flowers on it and crash because of it...now seriously if this is you tell me now so i can stay off the road next i see you because you might be distracted by my car and come crashing into me!

Camo :-D
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »
Okay, to put it into perspective Camo... As your experience with roadside vigil (sp) / markers is obviously very limited.

Think of a dark, fairly commonly used piece of road, a vigil located less than half a metre from the roadside (on a bend),up to 6-8 foot high, with flowers, clothing, crosses, candles (often lit) and all sorts of other memorabilia...  some times, on this dark , fairly commonly used road, up to 10-15 people standing around this vigil, often on the road and road side causing a severe traffic hazard...

As I said, it is a touchy subject as unless you have experienced it would not know the pain or heartache involved....  And as I also said, I for one would not have the nerve to tell the family to remove the vigil or any I have seen like it...

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:49:56 PM »
We don't have them on EP but I sometimes wish that we did...I find them a good reminder for people to drive safely...I always find it interesting to see where they are located eg straight stretch of road etc...and wonder why an accident had occured at that location...

We attended a MVA fatal that was on my way home...the family have erected a cross etc at the location..it provides us with a reminder as emergency services but also for the family...

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 05:43:54 PM »
Okay, to put it into perspective Camo... As your experience with roadside vigil (sp) / markers is obviously very limited.

Think of a dark, fairly commonly used piece of road, a vigil located less than half a metre from the roadside (on a bend),up to 6-8 foot high, with flowers, clothing, crosses, candles (often lit) and all sorts of other memorabilia...  some times, on this dark , fairly commonly used road, up to 10-15 people standing around this vigil, often on the road and road side causing a severe traffic hazard...

As I said, it is a touchy subject as unless you have experienced it would not know the pain or heartache involved....  And as I also said, I for one would not have the nerve to tell the family to remove the vigil or any I have seen like it...

Cant say i have seen one that extreme that is just silly really....i remember we had one in MT Gambier not quite as big but the council actually met with the family to have it removed/desized.

even still my comment on driving still stands.  Just like these people that cause accidents while watching emergency services at another accident site....ooooh pretty lights *BANG*
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

probie_boy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »
i have a shrine thing set up near my house for a fatal accident a few years ago. car vs tree, so all the memorial stuff is around the tree. There are a few bunches of fake flowers, two small pink crosses nailed to the tree and another sign reading "amy's tree". It isn't illuminated or anything which is fine, and some people even use it as a reference point for directions etc. Anyway my point is that it gets the memory of the deceased remembered whilst not being over the top.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
in reality it could be deemed roadside litter, or vandalism to trees... depeding on the situation, but personally i wouldnt go stopping greiving families.

but it should be limited. all these trees/roadsides with shirts hanging there, huge banners and candles are more of a hazard than anything really...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 05:09:59 PM »
I know this is touchy, but don't we have cemetery's and memorial gardens to honour the deceased ? Memorial seats on paths need council permission, to build anything at home you need council permission, but you cna build anything on the side of a road  :?

In the TV show one person admitted that the memorial had been vandalised. So they re-established the memorial using 'TEN' bags of concrete and rocks. They stated that 'no one will be moving the cross now'....

Now that scared me. With that much anchoring the cross and a vehicle ran off the road and hit the cross. OUCH. Hopefully the cross would snap at its base before another person is injured. An accident happened once, could happen again.

I agree with the black & red poles. Have seen some with 'RIP (name) (date)' on them. I agree with small cross with name. But bigger memorials need to be downsized.

My personal opinion only....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything