Author Topic: Mount Barker Pumper  (Read 44061 times)

strikeathird

Re: Mount Barker Pumper
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2005, 12:45:45 AM »
what a complete load of crap...
all the time/effort required to get Dennis here.. it seems to have been a failure (from what i have read, been told, observed) and now its getting retired so quickly...

i hope CFS never goes down this road of importing appliances again.

You obviously havent thought long about this!   And have heard things, but not actually seen/investigated yourself.

As was stated, there was always going to be some teething problems.  The dennis would out do ANY current CFS pumper, INCLUDING the ones being built at the moment, I have NO DOUBT!

If CFS were to go down this road again (and I hope they do), it would be cheaper, quicker, and more economocally(spelling) viable.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
I think that the one for Mt Barker. Sorry about the appliance numbering hiccup. What happened to their 14 Landcruiser? Last time I was there they still had that floating around!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2005, 12:40:50 PM »
has become heysen 14
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

corocfs

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2005, 12:05:23 PM »
If the CFS wants to import more appliances, perhaps they should get ones that havent been retired from that service due to there age....

this would be exaclty the same as say Jamaica importing our old 24s that have seen 20yeasr service in Australia, and were decommisioned becasue they are falling apart, and too old to be safe (>>?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2005, 02:19:20 PM »
The rumour (yes rumour) is that CFS want to do more, the teething lessons over and many valuable lessons learnt - it's on wards and up wards - having now seen the appliance - very impressed, very nice, congratulations Mt Barker :-)

As for overseas appliances - mmm SAMFS, NSWFB and QFRS sell/donate some of their overseas and they are well over the 20 years age bracket.

Also, many CFS brigades get refurbished appliances that have been in urban areas for 10+ years - if it's good to do it within our service, why not bring in others to bolster that!!!!!!!!!!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2005, 09:14:29 PM »
Part on progression means having some forthought for what is going to be needed in 10 years time or 5 years time in an area. Now I don't think that 3 years ago the CFS would have got the funding for a Urban Pumper with 1000GPM pump, excellent stowage, BA seat and a cab chassis that has a great power to weight ratio. New of the production line you'd be forking out say $500,000 at least. Now because of strong union bans in the UK on appliances over 5 years old if you could buy an appliance to that specification for only $100,000 and have in arrive only 7 to 10 year old and have it fit for ADR's for only another $50,000 then why not.

I say it's probably the best pumping appliance currently operational in the CFS and it has cost under half of that of a MFS scania, and if we were to import more then it would probably be under half the cost of a new type 2 pumper.

Good on the people for at least trying to be a bit innovative and trying to give our fire fighters better equipment and fire fighting capablilty!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2005, 07:24:30 AM »
I for one am not too sure if we should buy from oversea's,We have a very good firetruck firm in this country and yes I can hear people say that there are a few firms but I am sorry SKILLED are the best. You only have to look at there workmanship and there after sales follow up but above all they know what they are doing...

I think its time to move on about the MOUNT BAKER pumper its here and one would hope that those that placed the order now have taken note of what people have said about the applinaces. I have only read in here what people think have not had a chance to talk to anyone about it,mind you I was at the comps and did see a few people there but it slipped my mind...

As for a type two are we buying more??????

strikeathird

« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2005, 11:48:35 PM »
I for one am not too sure if we should buy from oversea's,We have a very good firetruck firm in this country and yes I can hear people say that there are a few firms but I am sorry SKILLED are the best. You only have to look at there workmanship and there after sales follow up but above all they know what they are doing...

I think its time to move on about the MOUNT BAKER pumper its here and one would hope that those that placed the order now have taken note of what people have said about the applinaces. I have only read in here what people think have not had a chance to talk to anyone about it,mind you I was at the comps and did see a few people there but it slipped my mind...

As for a type two are we buying more??????

I would take a dennis over a type two ANY day.  Whether it's made here or not!

Wagon 1

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »
Just for info, the English lease their appliances for 10 -12 years, once they leave service they are more than good enough for us. Think about it, we keep our trucks for 20 + years, so we can get a lot of life out of the Dennis yet, I would be dissapointed if we stopped getting them. Having spoken to some Mt Barker people after they tried the Type 2 all reports say the Dennis wins hands down.

Also, you can buy these Dennis for between 5000 and 15000 pounds, so 25000 dollars at the most, not bad hey!!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2005, 11:37:07 AM »
I would like to see the revised cost of changeover.... the first will always be the most expensive, the question is how much over the prolonged period?

Wagon 1

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »
New Zealand pay around 120,000 to 150,000 for a fully rebuilt appliance.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2006, 10:28:23 PM »
As of today Mt Barker are running the type 2 callsign being Barker Rescue. Probably too confusing calling it pumper 2

rescue5271

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2006, 06:02:46 AM »
I understand that two appliances where picked up from mount barker yesterday one being there rescue not sure what the other one was?? rescue is going to go to the beach. I am sure aldinga beach will like it but am more sure mount barker will miss it.... :-(

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »
The 24P goes to Littlehampton and the Rescue goes to Aldinga Beach. Callsign for the pump/rescue is Barker Rescue.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2006, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure Mt barker won't miss it at all, they are getting a canter replaced with a turbo intercooled isuzu, at least the new one will do more than 90 on the freeway.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
They might be able to go faster, but it also means they've lost a truck, I think thats what rescue5271 meant.  Am I right that they have 3 trucks now? 24, Pumper and Pump/Rescue?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
  Am I right that they have 3 trucks now? 24, Pumper and Pump/Rescue?
Correct

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2006, 07:57:58 AM »
mmm.. but they were always going to lose that truck...
sure theyll be much happier with dualing pumpers than the old rescue.. thr problem is the loss of rural trucks...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2006, 09:21:07 AM »
4 people to run 2 trucks?

would it not have made more sense to roll a regulation crew on 1 truck and still ask for littlehampton and maybe another brigade? with all the talk bout putting crews at risk......

Ill reserve my other opinions at this point......

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2006, 09:58:02 AM »
whats wrong with taking a pumper to a grass fire :?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
does the pumper have 'pump'n'roll' capabilities? even a little firefighter pump similar to what the QAV's have surfices.
and before anyone complains about that... look at it this way... it gets the job done.
Besides if barker is genuinely concerned about their ability to deal with a grass fire then they should have automatic dual responses. not call or back-up as is seen fit!
But i can only suggest these things, its up to others to act on them......

rescue5271

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2006, 10:18:56 AM »
yes all type two pumpers have pump and role,but dont they still have a 24????

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2006, 10:56:29 AM »
ok, maybe i didnt put the dual response comment quite right.
your comment related to having to respond 2 pumpers to a grass fire. my comment relates to your concerns for safety about this.

To clarify:

If worried about the safety of 2 pumpers on the fire ground then 2 brigades (or more) should be automatically dispatched to fill the need of rural appliances.

rescue5271

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »
Jason are you sure they dont have a aux pump? as all the type two pumpers that I have seen have a aux pump on the left handside for that reason????

rescue5271

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
Well how silly are they,all the others that CFS have have a aux pump so as urban brigades can still pump and role,I think they can still add one on so it may pay for them to contact tec services and get it done.....