Author Topic: PBI Gold  (Read 14802 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: PBI Gold
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
Interesting.... Would be interested to hear if others have been told the same as yourself Mengcfs. Seems strange that something so popular wouldnt be tested againt the new standards.

Same old story i suppose....Why would we test the old stuff and stick with it when someone brings something out supposedly bigger and better :|

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »
BIGGER AND BETTER

the age old argument I think its more

THEY HAVE IT I WANT IT, IF THEY HAVE IT IT HAS TO BE GOOD!

PBI is good don't get me wrong it was just the way that the honchos have gone about implementing it
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

rescue5271

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
Load of crap if you ask me,why is it that other fire service's are still issuing nomex and in two cases PBI gold has been removed from a fire service store's list....It is also funny that you can still buy level 3 nomex and where it.....

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
Our guys waited about 2 months,follow it up may have got lost or its sitting in the region office...

you want to know where the the PBI is? sitting in huge bags at STC, thats where. There must be in excess of 50-60 sets up there i reckon. it is probably all for training though.
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 04:16:52 PM »
hmmm yer got sized up several months ago, and havent heard a peep since...

Offline The Assistant

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »
The bags of PBI Gold up at STC are no longer in bags because they are the new CFS Training sets for CABA and CFB, I think someone would notice people walking around the fire ground with CFS Training written on the back
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »
Load of crap if you ask me,why is it that other fire service's are still issuing nomex and in two cases PBI gold has been removed from a fire service store's list....It is also funny that you can still buy level 3 nomex and where it.....

Because for once the SA Fire services have lead the way and not followed!

We complain about a conservative state and city but when we do something properly and progressive we cut them off at the knees.

What do we want conservative or progressive or are neither good enough  :roll:

ltdan

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »
"Reality Check Friends :?"

Answer, Yes I do have a set of PBI Gold and do wear it.

And, Yes I do have a Level 3 Nomex kit aswell!!

No-one is saying PBI Gold is filtered on contrary it is very good but what I was trying to point out was that you did not have to get it straight away if you have Level 3 Nomex it would be still ok and the reasons why.  (I was trying to point out cos it's new does not mean you need it.)(We don't all get new fire-trucks when new one's are built every year).

If I am not mistaken and very rarely I am not the cost of PBI Gold is approx $1400.00 if you want to show me evidence it is not well go for it.

You can buy Level 3 Nomex, but you won't be able to buy it out of central funding, so that's up to you.  But if you alrerady have the Pants & Jacket L2 from central funding how hard would it be to get a liner.  (Think about it, I am not going to give you the answer.)

Finishing, it seems that too many people want to argue or contradict people's thoughts and idea's, and from what I have read today you have all dissapointed me.  Talk about topics you know have knowledge and experience on before you start talking about stuff you think you know about it.

Mod Note :- language gentlemen.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:02:21 AM by Mike »

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 05:12:41 PM »
So this is where we are;

We all think PBI is good and will take it when it comes (or did take it for those who have it) but it would be ok if NOMEX stayed.

Ok, lets have more productive chats here, like we have been..........and stop throwing sand in the sandpit :-D

ltdan

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 05:19:55 PM »
here here :roll: :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
Bugger my sand pit is full :cry:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 05:29:10 PM »
Finishing, it seems that too many people want to argue or contradict people's thoughts and idea's, and from what I have read today you have all dissapointed me.  Talk about topics you know have knowledge and experience on before you start talking about stuff you think you know about it.

aaaah funny post

Toast

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 05:31:22 PM »
Now about those new BA sets the MFS are in the process of getting...

strikeathird

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 07:17:34 PM »
If I am not mistaken and very rarely I am not the cost of PBI Gold is approx $1400.00 if you want to show me evidence it is not well go for it.
You can buy Level 3 Nomex, but you won't be able to buy it out of central funding, so that's up to you.  But if you alrerady have the Pants & Jacket L2 from central funding how hard would it be to get a liner.  (Think about it, I am not going to give you the answer.)

Finishing, it seems that too many people want to argue or contradict people's thoughts and idea's, and from what I have read today you have all dissapointed me.  Talk about topics you know have knowledge and experience on before you start talking about stuff you think you know about it.

Well.. You are right about the cost, yet ask for people to prove you wrong.. Then are disapointed by people being contradicting...

Any way..

My personal view was - I had fought structural fires in both PBI and Nomex, and would never return back to nomex...(for structural fire fighting).. I have been traind in CFB, which I believe they use Lion gear for? .. and wouldnt go in those cells with Nomex on... Now... Could CFB cell temps be reproduced out on a job??  With the right conditions, of course...  Yet you would still go in in L3 Nomex cause it was still in good condition?  Even though knowing the benifits of Pbi Gold...

My argument was nothing to do with the politics involved in the purchasing, and the hype up about it, and i apologise if thats what it looked like.. I simply wanted to put forward that just cause what you have, might be fine, if there is something better, wich will PROTECT you to a higher degree, why not get it??

It's all about going home at the end of the day right??

pumprescue

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 07:28:46 PM »
Wear your PBI to all jobs, would you mob start acting like fire fighters instead of fighting like girls....

If your brigade hasn't got it start asking some questions and push the point instead of sitting back crying....

ltdan

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »
aggressiveird:
I agree does feel more comfortable and gives better radioant heat protection in an agressive fire attack e.g. CFB.  And from previous experience in wearing L3 Nomex and PBI Gold in the burn cells that point does stand.  But wearing L3 Nomex in the cells was ok, and was bearable and I did not think my life was threatend at any time. 

But the question strikeathird:  If you are attacking a fire in "real life" at the same confined temperatures would you be doing it??.  I don't know?? Would depend on the situation and the job. 

Can remember from previous domestics I have attended and offensively attacked the fire inside the premises it did not seem to get as hot as it does in the "burn cells".

But would always depend on the job, the risks, and the logistical back up you have or on the way to the incident.

Of course, if your level 3 was worn out why wouldn't you get PBI Gold.  But even so their is still political questions about it e.g. when or not to wear PBI Gold, and how to make that decision from a simple pager message.  And this will a debate for a very long time.

We always improve and we have scene dramatic improvement in the last ten years, for example the phrase "out with the old and in with the new", sometimes this phrase is not always the best suitable to everything.

We would all agree that equipment e.g. appliances have improved from research and fire-fighters comments.  And the same applies to PPE, look at the change in boots, look at the change at reflective clothing, look at the change of safety eyewear etc etc etc.

I quote from a famous footballer "We have eyes in the front of our head for a reason "to look forward and not back."

One day "Toast" we will all be the same and then you won't have to worry about it anymore.

:-)

ltdan

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »
apoologies people:  the above reply is for "strikeathird" not "aggressiveird"

"what the"

:? :-)

strikeathird

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 08:31:32 PM »
Are you being a smart a r s e .

I did have the slightest bit of respect for you before... But you seem to be good at making a dik of yourself.

ltdan

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »
:?why :?

ltdan

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
no :?

ltdan

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 08:42:06 PM »
i think you have not understtod what I have said or typed.  I thought I was being positive not negative. :|

strikeathird

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 08:51:08 PM »
aggressiveird..

Bit hard to be a typo... but if you say so...

ltdan

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 08:54:24 PM »
true it was a typo :lol:

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 10:56:14 PM »
good thread! but play nice and for the last time do not circumvent the language filter - I will act if you force my hand.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2006, 05:35:12 PM »
If i remember correctly the grant from the government was for $2 Million.

PBI for all BA Operators and the rest was being spent on New Proban Uniforms.

something like 1500 PBI and 500 Proban.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org