Author Topic: Pagers?  (Read 12396 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Pagers?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »
Well BAJADS there is a emergency radio warning system down here in the south east which is broadcasted by the local radio stations during major fires
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 09:32:53 PM »
Well BAJADS there is a emergency radio warning system down here in the south east which is broadcasted by the local radio stations during major fires

I believe that is state-wide on ABC 891, as well as some FM stations.

But could the brigade siren be used to notify residents to listen to that radio because an immediate or significant potential threat exists to them.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »
My brigade uses their siren to alert the town if we are short of crew although our fire siren hasnt been used since Ash Wednesday to alert people to potential threat of a wildfire
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 81631

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
I live in an area that is classed as rural.  We only sound our siren once a month for training and if there is an incident where ANY part of the township is at threat, or if we will need to go near the school during there pickup drop off times the teachers keep the kids in the school and the parents don't mind that either they know we will be coming through soon.

I used to live in area where the siren was used for every call and an all clear but i have not heard this used since I was a kid - personally i think it would excessive. 

(I like the siren sets all the local dogs barking and howling  - its funny.)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »
We get that too 81631 everytime our siren is set off on a Wednesday night for siren test the dogs go nuts and many people complain when ever we set our siren off during day time hours just to alert volunteers who missed the pager call or inform residents that we have shortage of crew

But setting the siren off because of crew shortage has saved our butts several times with volunteers rocking up shortly after the siren is set off... i get the feeling with the low amount of rain fall we've had in the last month or so combined with really cold nights killing of grass were in for a really bad 2006-2007 fire season

If this does happen our fire siren will likely be going off every few days because of fires starting left, right and centre and to inform town residents about the high risk of threat
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 05:37:33 PM »
We utilise our town siren mainly during fire season and daytime only if its a fire in our own brigade area as a warning to the public,and the odd ocassions when we need more crew that havent heard the pager.
Speaking of which for those that dont know you can no longer GET ANY PAGER holsters that we rely on so much to clip on our belts etc...direct from the GRN help desk and Link!!!!!

No wonder we have to leave them inside or put in a drawer for safekeeping while we work outside.

Dont get rid of your station siren just yet..remember Ash Wednesday!

Unless your lucky to have a secret stash of them somewhere!
Images are copyright

anything