Author Topic: Australasian Road Crash Rescue Challenge  (Read 36180 times)

Manuel

Re: Australasian Road Crash Rescue Challenge
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2006, 10:18:21 PM »
Hey stirling came 20th out of 23(the source was not completely sure), oh dear  :oops:, when i saw them they did look a little scrappy, but i heard that a few of them were sick.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »
South Coast SES who received a wild card entry in to the comps came in 15th and had the 3rd best medic (Their medic is an ER nurse)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 02:08:48 AM »
Hey stirling came 20th out of 23(the source was not completely sure), oh dear  :oops:, when i saw them they did look a little scrappy, but i heard that a few of them were sick.

Confirming 20/23

Manuel

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »
Well done to blackwood coming 8th 8-)

rescue5271

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »
Does it really matter what people came??? as long as they had fun,made some new contacts and above all picked up some new RCR skills.. Well done to all the teams.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »
Hey stirling came 20th out of 23(the source was not completely sure), oh dearĀ  :oops:, when i saw them they did look a little scrappy, but i heard that a few of them were sick.

its funny, i've noticed how competition results seem to make SOME (not all of you fine people, in fact these people aren't on SAFF to my knowledge)people judge RCR brigades at real jobs. These competitions, although as real as can be expected, in no way create an environment that would even slightly resemble a real site. Also the fact that when you roll to a job, the complete champion RCR crew may be unavailable. It just angers me a little. rant over
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

rescue5271

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2006, 08:38:16 PM »
I find with comps that the rules change so much whats the point??? If you do a good job,save a life then that is the best reward one can hope for. Comps have there good points and bad points,what is taught in RCR is not always used on the road as all RCR brigades know things change....Anyway it was a fun weekend,good on them for having a go,mind you $2000 to enter little rich for some...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2006, 01:00:30 AM »
In my opinion, training for the comps is training for the comps, not for real incidents... For example, a third of the mark is placed on the team's medic, who rarely forms part of an RCR in real life (In metro areas anyway ;)).

It would be much more beneficial to train for real jobs, practicing what will work, rather than what will impress the judges...

My opinion only ;)

rescue5271

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2006, 08:06:03 AM »
Down this wat the ambos do the medicpart its very rare that we do it,comps have the good points but you can not judge RCR on that . The only way is in a real job but that is not what we would like to see,at the comps you can only make it so real....

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2006, 08:32:26 AM »
To me the comps are a bit of wank factor. And it does seem as though an air of 'this lot are better' is banded around.

Dont get me wrong though.... through the years there have been many innovations introduced by teams that have become standard practices.

But if I ever had someone my crew walking around making as much noise as is done there..... well.... wouldnt be at all happy!
One of the principals taught in the SES basic. Safety, System, Speed, SILENCE.
All being said, real jobs will always be different to the comps. Its very hard to judge overall team awareness at a competition if nothing is said....

Well done to all the teams who had a go, we all know it takes a lot of hard work. The time and effort spent by those involved doesnt go un-noticed by the rest of us!

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
Yes it is for fun, but there is a lot of difference from the team that came first and to the team that came last.
Good on every team that gave it a go. it can improve your skills