Author Topic: Appliances  (Read 12261 times)

strikeathird

Re: appliances
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2005, 03:45:52 PM »
Quote from: rescue5271
We had  meeting after meetings with CFS about our new rescue unit,they wanted a water tank and pump and we said NO and got what we wanted a state of the art rescue/hazmat unit that has seen alot of work in the last two years. Our next project would have to be a new pumper to replace the one we have or better still a 24p to back up the pumper.That would mean that we would have 3 appliances with pump's and a dedicated rescue/hazmat unit.

How many times have you been on a fire appliances that has RCR gear only to be paged to a RCR job? its a little hard to leave half way into a working job. I will take some new photos of our new rescue and once I work out how to post them on here will do.

I agree, Rescue / Hazmat appliances should be souly that.  They arent there to put the wet stuff on the red stuff, thats the job of a pumper.....

strikeathird

Re: appliances
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »
Quote from: rescue5271
I can see the need for a few skyjets in the CFS in some urban area,s also in country CFS area's like murray bridge,nuri,naracoorteand area's where CFS work with MFS.sure the cost would be high as you would also have to supply a pumper,the future hold's great change in the service I for one would hope that the VOLS get a say in what is going to happen.

I would not like to see over duplication of services in country area's the strain on local community involvment into 3 service's is too much.

It's quite funnty, -  Over in the States, "Vollie" brigade have apparatus such as 100 foot Ladder trucks, Tillered ladders, Tele-booms, Platform's.... everything......Vollie brigades over here wouldn't see an aerial appliance sitting on the apron in it's life time.

corocfs

Appliances
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2005, 05:41:05 PM »
i think you'll find that most of the "vollie" brigades in the states do an average of 3500 jobs a year because they handle fire and EMS, they also have much denser populations and differant styles of building that need differant approaches to fire cover.

although i am beginning to think that we need some kind of aerial pumper or "skyjet" type appliance in urban fringes and country areas protected by CFS, luckily for us we have adelaide MFS with the bronto and i think theyres an old abbey skyjet somewhere closer to back us up. but the three storey houses going up in areas such as blackwood park are a definite concern.

also... having a rescue or hazmat appliance with no water/pump is nothing but a threat to the safety of its crew. ALL appliances regardless of what theyre primary purpose is (maybe excepting CAFS QAVs) should carry a minimum of 1000L water and a 30m HP line (and a pump of some type of course) for fire protection.

i know that all motor vehicle accidents should have at least two brigades rolling straight away, but who knows how far away back-up is sometimes? you may arrive in your dedicated rescue unit to find a car burning that you cant put out with an extinguisher and your brigade thats on its way to do fire protection for you has had to defualt? how far away is water then?

the first job at ANY car accident should be to establish sufficient protection for your crew.

Good times

Appliances
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2005, 06:14:51 PM »
Funny you should say that Alex, I remember listening to 204 and 441 respond to an MVA at Unley, 204 got there first with a car on fire and went, oh crap, now what do we do. So it does happen, I know a few American Heavy Rescues have a small pump with a few hundred litres of water in case they arrive first, nothing huge, just enough to control a car fire.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Appliances
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2005, 06:24:27 PM »
A couple of fire extinguisher can go a long way (Yeah Right!!).
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

strikeathird

Appliances
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2005, 08:37:03 PM »
Quote from: corocfs
i think you'll find that most of the "vollie" brigades in the states do an average of 3500 jobs a year because they handle fire and EMS, they also have much denser populations and differant styles of building that need differant approaches to fire cover.

although i am beginning to think that we need some kind of aerial pumper or "skyjet" type appliance in urban fringes and country areas protected by CFS, luckily for us we have adelaide MFS with the bronto and i think theyres an old abbey skyjet somewhere closer to back us up. but the three storey houses going up in areas such as blackwood park are a definite concern.

also... having a rescue or hazmat appliance with no water/pump is nothing but a threat to the safety of its crew. ALL appliances regardless of what theyre primary purpose is (maybe excepting CAFS QAVs) should carry a minimum of 1000L water and a 30m HP line (and a pump of some type of course) for fire protection.

i know that all motor vehicle accidents should have at least two brigades rolling straight away, but who knows how far away back-up is sometimes? you may arrive in your dedicated rescue unit to find a car burning that you cant put out with an extinguisher and your brigade thats on its way to do fire protection for you has had to defualt? how far away is water then?

the first job at ANY car accident should be to establish sufficient protection for your crew.

Thus why the Rescue doesn't roll without a Pumper!  (Talking CFS here, not SAMFS).

strikeathird

Appliances
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2005, 08:38:10 PM »
Quote from: JamesGar
A couple of fire extinguisher can go a long way (Yeah Right!!).

Quite the contrary - I have seen a couple of extinguishers go a VERY long way !

BUT -  A CFS Rescue truck should not roll out the doors unless following the Pumper to the Job..... - (Bit different if called into a Support area, and Fire Cover already on scene)

MATTE

Appliances
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2005, 02:44:46 PM »
I believe every group has different assets to protect and the group i come from only has 2 standard SACFS appliances. The standard 24 appliance at my brigade is used primarily for MVA's and running fires.

On a recent Strike Team incident control wanted to use our custom 24P appliance with their own assembled crew. They were told no. 24P requires training and these other firefighters didnt have sufficient knowledge to crew our pumper. That was a problem but one easily solved when they told to find a standard SACFS 24.

Supposedly our 24 is an urban/rural appliance but i would rather see one of our groups pumpers plumbed in out the front and ready to go rather than 24 (Plastic Fantastic). I also dont think that the pump on a 24 is powerful enough for Structural applications, especially if your are running 2 hp's and 2 64mm lines.

What would happen when a relief crew uses your brigades appliance and something goes wrong eg. Drivetrain problems, Pump failure. Does your group/brigade pay the bill?

corocfs

Appliances
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2005, 09:57:29 PM »
G'DAY MATTE!!!!!

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Rescue Appliances
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2005, 07:32:36 AM »
Quote from: corocfs

100% Correct

All rescue appliances  should have a pump

corocfs

Appliances
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 08:21:16 AM »
thanks for the support fire03rescue, fire is one of the biggest threats at any car accident.

first we get a tin can, fill it with petrol, oil and other combustibles, then after its already been heavily damaged in a collison we start to work on it (not just extrications, but battery isolation, dealing with leaks ,etc...). fire protection should beat the rescue to an incidetn every time.

we all know that they should be following the pumper, but most cases the rescue will be the sole appliance responding from its station, so for an incident in its primary it is likely to be first on scene, and a single fire extinguisher (or two) isnt sufficient if our "working" on the car causes it to go bang.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Rescue Appliances
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005, 11:32:45 AM »
The main problem with not having a pump on your rescue appliance is when will the other appliances arrive.
We all have problems on occasions that we can't get two drivers
 :?:

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Appliances
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2005, 06:50:12 PM »
Hi All,

Back to the original topic of appliance's... I wouldn't mind this one sitting on the apron as our 'Rural' appliance next to a Scania Dual Cab Aerial Pumper...Ha Dreams I know! Have a look:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~g1412r/h1a.htm
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Appliances
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2005, 06:59:07 PM »
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Appliances
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2005, 09:30:24 AM »
Sweet, James!

Yes, we'll order one, please.

It'll look funny white I reckon :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Appliances
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 08:22:07 AM »
I Like it :D Could see lots of people asking state to upgrade their licenses to HR though......

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Appliances
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2005, 06:29:15 PM »
Quote from: kat
It'll look funny white I reckon :-)

Have a look here Kat, Not to bad in white, think it would look great with yellow and red checker stripping down the side!

http://www.ssfire.com/deliveries/images/Rio%20Rico%20FD.jpg
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Appliances
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2005, 09:09:49 AM »
Nah..... It just doesnt look right..... Seems a little out of proportion. However the aerial unit would look good no matter what colour it was!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Appliances
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 05:43:22 PM »
Have to agree with Mike.

Looks a bit funny - white with blue stripes doesn't do it for me :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

rescue5271

Re: Appliances
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2005, 08:07:17 AM »
Was up at moore's the other night and a few new 34's and 14's up there waiting to go out to brigades was a good place to view the fire at murray bridge...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Appliances
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:13 AM »
Americans sure love there Ford F-series

have seen a "brush" truck somewhere (cant remember which station ... american tho')that is a Humvee... cool truck, ill try to find a pic