Author Topic: Pagers?  (Read 12384 times)

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Pagers?
« on: July 11, 2006, 04:26:26 AM »
just a question for the forum:

I have been a member with a Urban CFS brigade area where we never had a siren at the Fire Station - just pagers for alerts.  I now reside within a rural area where the siren is well respected and it brings the community alive when sounding (especially during the summer)

We have pagers as well - but its amazing when on a rare occasion we miss our weekly siren testing and the community asks why?

My question to the forum is: since the introduction of pagers a few years back could we be loosing this community alert/notification - as I have seen allot of the newer stations loose there sirens or not use them as they have pagers?

I am after peoples views & ideas.

Many thanks

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Re: Pagers?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »
I Like The Siren, We Use It When We Can Eg During The Day.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »
our siren goes off evry call we get...

but personally id otn see a need for it in our urban area. if everyone wheres there pager there is no issue. and quite honestly the public dont need to get all worked up everytime they hear it go off for a private alarm or MVA...

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »
I am after peoples views & ideas.

we only activate the siren for a fire in our area (and weekly testing).  It is really for notifying the community (since having pagers), but as you mention, people take notice of it (semi-rural area in the hills).

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:47:51 PM »
We use our siren a lot during the day, as we have members working on tractor they do not hear the pagers but hear the siren. The locals like it but complaints come from the Motel down the street.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »
I Think That Its Good, It Alerts The Public They We Will Be Having Members Responding To The Station & Also Will Be Responding A Truck To An Iccident.  More For Public Awareness.  Does Also Come In Handy For Those That Don't Hear There Pagers.

Toast

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
Our siren is quite broken at the moment. Always a good thing. We've had some complaints around the place, but I believe we hope to have the siren fixed in time for the fire season only to use for large fires in our own area. *NOT* for every MVA/Alarm/etc

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 03:40:59 PM »
We use our siren during the day but not at night (common sense prevails), unless it is a fixed alarm , in which case we have no choice.
There is a policy on the use of sirens, including consultation with the community.

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:32:02 PM »
we only test our siren on a training night,but since pagers(GRN)came on line the siren does not get used much we have been talking about using it more so as to get members from other brigades that may be in town or if our members have forgotten to take the pager with them....there are new guidelines for the use of the siren there was an article in the last Volunteer...

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 09:51:30 PM »
hi there all

Many thanks for all the comments - Sirens wins

I am a siren person as well - and I guilty - I some times forget to carry the pager.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Toast

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »
Sirens don't help those of us who live too far away to hear it...

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 07:36:54 AM »
That is true,I know of a number of brigades who have remote sirens that are placed over the township,I was talking to a guy who says you could do pager via SMS to your phone just in case you leave the pager at home.....

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 08:55:26 AM »
Blinky - SMS.

I have done a little homework into this (as we considered it), the problem you have is there is no guarantee you will get it on time.

If you use SMS you will notice some times there is huge delays usually because of overloading (to many people sending messages - usually peak times)

I do like the idea, as long as we could guarantee 100% timely displays - I always carry a phone but not a pager.

Toast

I am also in this position some times - we reside approx 1.5km from town and if we have any variance (wind & rain (only some times) we also don't always hear the siren.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
Yes it's funny how much weather conditions affect sirens, i live 1km from our station and on mornings with a slight breeze i can't hear the siren but if the breeze goes the other way you can hear the siren up to 7km away at currency creek.... I've also heard of brigades having 2 sirens one at each end of the town, however i don't know if there are any out there still running two.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 01:50:27 PM »
Blinky - SMS.

I have done a little homework into this (as we considered it), the problem you have is there is no guarantee you will get it on time.

If you use SMS you will notice some times there is huge delays usually because of overloading (to many people sending messages - usually peak times)

I do like the idea, as long as we could guarantee 100% timely displays - I always carry a phone but not a pager.

Toast

I am also in this position some times - we reside approx 1.5km from town and if we have any variance (wind & rain (only some times) we also don't always hear the siren.

Wayne

I have a friend in QLD who is apart of the Queensland RFS and her brigade relies on sms to alert their brigade members for a call out as its alot more reliable than pagers due to all of the members carrying mobile phones around
Kalangadoo Brigade

Toast

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:26 PM »
I live 4km from our station, what with hills and heavy bushland in between... I can hear three other sirens from here, yet not ours.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 05:39:51 PM »
Hi there Robert34

I do agree if we could guarantee mobile phone sms's being 100% instantaneous -  it would have saved the organization millions as majority of people carry them.

Wayne.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 07:33:19 PM by firefighter_sa »
Wayne Ellard

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 06:44:02 PM »
SMS can never be relied on during an emergency.Sometimes it takes far too long from when a message is sent to when it is received. Our pagers may not be perfect are pretty reliable in most area of the state.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
robert - phones are a good form of sending/recieving messages, however they do not garauntee the message will be recieved in a timely fashion (as others have pointed out)

however the GRN network has been designed to transmit and recieve these messages almost instantaneously...

i mean come on people... wearing a pager isnt hard, and there a damn sight smaller than they used to be ;)

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 09:05:16 PM »
Nothing bets the GRN pager:

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »
2nd Nature to put the pager on in the morning....Dont know what is so hard about it?

I work in a workplace where there is alot of lifting and stuff and it doesnt get knocked around so you cant really use that excuse.

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »
2nd Nature to put the pager on in the morning....Dont know what is so hard about it?

I work in a workplace where there is alot of lifting and stuff and it doesnt get knocked around so you cant really use that excuse.

Camo

I agree Camo. I have members who work as welders, farmers etc and say "What if i break it?" I say "easy - i give you a spare and send yours away to be repaired. Don't worry about it!"

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 10:38:22 PM »
Back to sirens - we don't use ours at all, but I've spoken to quite a few residents who rely on hearing the sirens if there's a fire. (That is, they expect that if there's a fire, they will hear the fire sirens...)

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 12:09:43 PM »
even though people whinge about the sirens going off, I feel it is an important part of community fire awareness here in the hills, especially during fire season. I feel people will react more effectively to hearing a siren and seeing smoke on a 40 degree day. By all means respond with pagers, but i think maybe sirens should be used for responses to fires and maybe dangerous HAZMATS. Sirens for fires though should probably only be set off DURING FIRE SEASON or on a day where the incident could change rapidly.
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »
Could the sirens become part of an emergency notification system to the local community, not just for fires ?

The previous post mentioned HAZMAT, but I would include flood, etc.

For this to work though, the community needs to know what they should do if they hear the emergency siren.

Do they switch on the battery operated radio (they always have one right :wink:) to listen for further information. Where would they tune the radio to ? Could the local broadcast frequency (cannot remember the frequency, but it is used for local information only) be used ?

For example, if you look half-way down this website page, the local council provides information via radio in as part of a 'flood warning systm' http://www.wangaratta.vic.gov.au/CA256B5800826065/page/About%20Council-Parking/Local%20Laws-Local%20Laws?OpenDocument&1=100-About%20Council~&2=770-Parking/Local%20Laws~&3=075-Local%20Laws~

Would this be useful in a wild-fire, HAZMAT with moving toxic cloud, flood, severe storm, etc, etc being linked to the communities emergency siren ?

Or am I totally wrong here  :?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.