« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 07:50:37 PM »
Im still 50/50 on the concept.

Need to see it in action i guess...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: CAFS
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 10:09:14 AM »
Having used CAFS in anger at rural incidents - I'm sold! Having seen the Blackwood 24 CAFS at a rural incident I'm sold there two (providing their pump operator can keep it together lol). Having seen CAFS intersate and various versions for rural applications I sold here two. Also for bin fires, car fires and rubbish fire - sold!
However, where I'm not sold is the structural application. As already stated by Mattb, there is heaps on the net about it's use and some great papers on CAFS versus water particle attach (3d attach, fog attach and combination attack)however what isn't well written about is the effect the foam concentrate has in fire investigation. Several things to consider - the foam breaks down the hydrocarbon chain - hence had to collect the evidence, secondly the foam blanket takes a while to disperse - alternatively it needs to be wash away - both lead to deterioration of the evidence used to determine cause.

So horses for courses - excellent in the rural application and in non structural fires, but I'm not a fan for structural fires!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 07:37:52 PM »
almost fell off my chair laughing when i found out that blackwood CAFS (or rather possibly one of the drivers from blackwood) blew up its engine (i believe this will mean the third engine for that truck)... and it will be offline indefinitely!!! apparently they are looking at bringing the old blackwood 24 (the benz) back online...

ROFLMAO that trucks been cursed... gearbox problems, engine problems, pump problems, hose problems.... kinda reminds me of stirling pumper...

when will the CFS stop groups from making custom trucks??? always seems to end in tears...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:43:09 AM by medevac »

Toast

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 09:44:48 PM »
Its ends in tears when a Brigade submits an plan for Truck A, but then get from CFS something that kinda sorta resembles 'Truck A' but is a cheap version with a few bits tacked on and a few bits missing.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2005, 06:41:46 AM »
mmm im just mean... :-D

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »
Interesting - CFS HQ and R1 gave full support to the Blackwood CAFS. I believe they saw it as an excellent opportunity to get some valuations done instead of relying on external info, often written with a fixed point of view.
I have been told that the original spec for the track was changed - hence a big contributor to the problem - cost cutting may have been the expensive option.
None the less - hopefully it will allow the boffins to make a valued and local decision on CAFS in CFS - as they have done with many other things that brigades have trailed :-o

strikeathird

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2005, 12:12:19 PM »
Cost cutting... HA !

Wagon 1

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 11:08:54 AM »
Its ends in tears when a Brigade submits an plan for Truck A, but then get from CFS something that kinda sorta resembles 'Truck A' but is a cheap version with a few bits tacked on and a few bits missing.

You read my mind toast, what the brigade submits and what they end up with a re often very different, CFS = Cheap Fire Service.

They will always go with the line that we have so little money and we try our best to get as much as we can for our dollar, but there has to come a point where cheap is not always the best option.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005, 01:23:04 PM »
Murphys Law Of Combat Could Apply?
12. Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.

strikeathird

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2005, 01:28:03 PM »
hahaha

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2005, 08:02:51 PM »
I have been watching this thread for a while and really had to smack my fingers several times when I have gone to type a response to what I have read, but I can wait no moore (pun intended)

To my knowledge no cost cutting existed in the design and manufacture of the appliance

The original option was to re-use the old back end - after a refurb. We were able to build a new back end for a few K more than the refurb cost option.

The CAFS system has had problems. PTO/Drive line issues. These have resulted in a failure of the engine on 2 occasions. On the second occasion the appliance was being returned to the station after some minor body repairs.

The CAFS system performs to expectations and has had several enhancements from the common usage in the USA. Refinement is still ongoing, but results to date are pleasing, maybe some more to refinement is still required.

How and when to use CAFS is and will be an ongoing debate. As with anything of this nature in an environment as varying as CFS / SA - Rural - Urban - opinions will always differ.

To anybody not involved in the process of developing an idea into a reality, I would invite you to have a go some time - you will see the process in a new light

If you were to put a cost on the man hours put in by the brigade and other volunteers it would be staggering.

Andrew.
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2005, 07:46:12 AM »
Well put Andrew

Some people just love to hate

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2005, 08:25:14 AM »
The Blackwood truck is ready for its second re birth. For reasons better left unsaid, a bug was detected in the appliance, and has been a Major factor in its failure and un reliability.

The Bug in no way is a result of the Hino Cab chassis or any component or manufacturer in the process. Some miss matching had occurred, resulting in a weak link in the system.

The weak link has been address and we hope to have the truck up and running very soon.

I believe the appliance will, with more practice and usage refinement prove its worth, not in all situation, but in some area where no other appliance offers the versatility as the CAFS system.
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 01:09:48 PM »
anyone know if blackwood CAFS is back online yet??

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 02:19:30 PM »
Would Like To See Some Action Photos Of This Unit In Action. When Its Operational Can Some One Up Some Pics???

rescue5271

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 06:20:20 PM »
I did hear on the radio(grn) that they where still having problems the other day could not use the CAFS system and had to go back to water?????

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2005, 07:34:30 AM »
mmmm im just wondering if they have the actual truck back...
heard it could be offline until well after the fire season...

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2005, 08:04:43 AM »
all back and working and using CAFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2005, 09:08:40 AM »
noice...

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006, 11:14:14 PM »
CAFS works you just got to not have people making trucks that dont no what they are doing or have faulty parts..

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »
CAFS works you just got to not have people making trucks that dont no what they are doing or have faulty parts..

Ain't that the truth - there wouldn't be too many companies in Australia that haven't been plauged with dodgy equipment, dogy trades people/staff or alike.

It's good though to see companies working hard to bring new equipment in and then with the smarts to engineer solutions to problems, to ensure that CFS can utilise this equipment - better that than them closing their doors and going interstate and leaving those here to suffer their problems and poor workmanship!

anything