Author Topic: hypothetical incident 2  (Read 16924 times)

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
hypothetical incident 2
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »
hypothetical incident no. 2 :mrgreen:

it is 7:50am on a Thursday. On the South Eastern Freeway there has been a large MVA in the Heysen tunnels. The car travelling in the left lane has cut across in front of a delivery van in the right lane. Post collision, there are 3 entrapments, 1 in the delivery van, 2 in the car. As a result of the heavy traffic flow, a petrol tanker can't slow in time, sideswipes another semi, sandwiching it between the semi and the wall. as a result of this impact, a hole has been torn in the side of the tanker, spilling fuel in a slow leak. both truckies are NOT entrapped. The 2nd impact has not affected the 1st impact. Cars are banked up between the 2 accidents, but people at the site of the fuel, have fled through the emergency exits in the side, leaving the 3 entrapped and 2 people trying to help them.

In a bit of a twist, Stirling rescue is offline with mechanical problems.

enjoy 8-)
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: hypothetical incident 2
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
uptrack or downtrack?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:55:40 PM »
actually considering the time of day, im going to presume downtrack.

that area should have stirling, burnside and 441 responded initially for RCR i believe, so with stirling rescue off the run, i would respond default for them (which would be blackwood), stop all traffic back up at the crafers exit due to lanes blocked and fuel leak, respond extra appliances and transportSA to assist with fuel spill cleanup, and let the rescue crews do there job with the extrication

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
But has the new station at Crafers been built ?
We could stop traffic with the boom gates if the new MFS station has been made half way up?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »
^^goodpoint  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »
Who controls the electronic signs on the freeway and expressway ? Is it TransportSA ?

If so, is that a quick way to divert traffic along with SAPOL at Crafers exit.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »
believe sapol are able to change them... but transportSA would definitley be able to.

i dont think any signs there are for diverting.... youd probly use the signs to lower speed limit and then plenty of signage and a few sapol cars to block it...

leave it up to SAPOL.... traffic control is there problem

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 02:41:21 PM »
I believe the eagle on the hill exit sign can swivel to say 'road closed'. generally used when doing high level maintenance on the tunnels.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 03:02:49 PM »
Pretty much what medevac said except maybe adding on another rescue (Mt Barker or Adelaide 204), Maybe a few tankers for Standby extra water, which i would say Burnside and/or Stirling would respond if they had enough crew.

Then of coarse if someone lit a smoke i would just turn around and go home and come back another day.

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 03:11:15 PM »
I am with medevac,if there was a fire I think the tunnels have a sprinkler system that would help to attack the fire as for run off I would have thought there where drains withshut offs on them to stop flow of fuel into storm water drains.....

Offline standpipe

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 03:19:35 PM »
Who controls the electronic signs on the freeway and expressway ? Is it TransportSA ?

If so, is that a quick way to divert traffic along with SAPOL at Crafers exit.

The signs are controlled by Transport SA at their Norwood traffic control centre.
This can be in response to a phone call from SAPOL or another emerg service or in response to something they see on the cameras.. :-D
find 'em hot leave 'em wet !

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »
But has the new station at Crafers been built ?
We could stop traffic with the boom gates if the new MFS station has been made half way up?

oh ha ha! :oops: :lol:

medevac, its on the down track, so the petrol is flowing towards the entrapped people.

also, what would you prioritise, containing the fuel leak or freeing the entraped peeps?

Sorry, i forgot to mention that 2 of 3 entrapped (lets say delivery driver and 1 occupant of car) have serious injuries.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »
containing the fuel leak would be a priority as it would endanger incoming rescue crews, thus preventign them from performing there duty...

the tunnels have a sprinkler system as clinky said, and im with tillerman, i would presume burnside and stirling tankers would mobilise when they had enough crew...

Toast

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »
There would be 441, Burnside Pumper and Stirling Pumper all responding to the initial page. All three appliance have RCR capabilities. Stirling 24 would also be responding as it carries our Heavy Rescue gear in the event of rescue being offline for any extended period of time. This satisfies the SOPS for rescue with at least one RCR brigade per vehicle with persons trapped. For good measure I would respond 204, MAAAAYBE 2023 with the heavy rescue pod. Access will have to be all appliances from the bottom of the downtrack tunnel. Traffic diverted to the old road. All persons from the other vehicles contained in the tunnels taken to the Transport SA centers at either end of the tunnels for shelter/food+drink facilities as it will be sometime before they can head home. First priorities are going to be those trapped, with the crew not concerned with these containing the leak in the petrol tanker with the Hazmat gear on either 441 or Stirling Pumper. The OP suggests a SLOW leak of fuel, so depending on what is spilled, either the use of a hell of a lot of Soakerall, foam blanket or both will contain the spilled fuel. I would also think about the response of Stirling or Burnside tanker for extra water.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 04:28:55 PM »
hey, does anyone have a pic of 2023? i've never seen it.

also, i'm unsure if there are many drains within the tunnel, does anyone know?

hey toast, what do ya mean with the TSA centres in the tunnel? wha?

Toast

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »
2023 is just a truck that MFS can load different pods onto. Eg: Bulk water pod, heavy rescue. We have a photo of it I think from an RCR in Ironbank, I'll try to find it. The TSA centers are the white buildings at either end of the tunnels, they are not much but they have minor facilities that would enable a few people to be sheltered and served hot drinks etc. Better than sitting out in a normal crappy foggy hills morning.

PF_

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 04:52:34 PM »
Well its good Stirling are offline, they only came 20th in the rescue comps, jeez, 20th, losers.  I hate Stirling

(disclaimer: I ahve no problem with Stirling or their ruddy 20th place ( :-P ) it is purely a joke as it is being mentioned in other area's of the froum about how we hate Stirling apparently.  Just thought Id better put in a disclaimer so no one takes it the wrong way  :wink:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »
mmm your right PF we should probly call the NSW fire service for there assistance...

Toast

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
Hot damn Medevac, I was about to say that we responded Burwood NSWFB to cover us  :wink:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
:lol:

Manuel

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 04:59:12 PM »
Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling

yep every thread has something about them in it, they must be good :-D

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »
mmm your right PF we should probly call the NSW fire service for there assistance...

I knew the RAAF base with the Orion aircraft was in Adelaide for something....to bring in the NSW teams 'american style'...because they can fix anything :evil: :roll:
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »
hey, does anyone have a pic of 2023? i've never seen it.

See http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/Appliance_Display.asp?Service_Code=SAMFS&Station_Code=20 towards the bottom of the page. The 'bulk water POD' is towards the middle of the page on the right hand side.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 05:12:51 PM »
That's a lot of Stirling.... ;)

firetruck, when you say 2 serious injuries, do you mean life critical? Because that would make things much quicker and easier :)

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 10:27:44 AM »
Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling Stirling

yep every thread has something about them in it, they must be good :-D

its better that than kalangadoo...

cfs_firey, injuries are such that if the people aren't extricated within 60 mins, they likely won't make it to hospital.

on a side note, anyone considered using rescue choppers? its up to you