Author Topic: brothers down  (Read 12444 times)

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
brothers down
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:36:05 AM »
you arrive at a four story abandoned building in the 'burbs. There have been two homeless sleeping in there on the second floor. The fire has been deliberately lit on the first floor. One of the homeless guys gets out, but the other hasn't shown up yet. The homless guy that got out informs you of his missing friend. the fire has engulfed half of the first floor and part of the second floor. You have sent two teams of two into the structure to look for the guy. Standing outside, you hear a large cracking and then a thud. You receive no response from your team via radio. You send in another team of two to find out the problem. when team two reach the second floor, they see the hose line dangling from a huge hole that has opened up under your team. When they peer into the hole they see the four fireys lying on the first floor. two are not moving and one is yelling in pain clutching his leg. As the building is abandoned, there is no running water inside or electricity.

i know that we wouldn't normally do this, but i stole this off a real event that happened in NYC.

game on!
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Toast

Re: brothers down
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 05:03:28 PM »
Uh.... its a no brainer? Send the first RIT back down to the first floor to help the firies that have hit the ground? If you have more people to send in as a RIT, then do so? If no more people then get the current pair to keep hauling guys out?

After the firies are out THEN maybe go look for the other civvy.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
Basic rule of fire fighting - look after your own first, then attend to the rest!

Multiple lines in - 1 from the first floor, directing a stream down to the floor below to give the crew down some protection, although not enough to steam them, 2nd, 3rd and 4th crew in to undertake rescue - combination of holding the fire back - direct attack and holding the fire back whilst other retrieve the crews - having paramedics ready, willing and able as you bring the down crews out of the door!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

corecutters

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:44:41 PM »
Upgrade to the next alarm, you would probably have already gone first, maybe second with the fire as involved as it is, so I would get further resources coming in anyway.. - Informing comms you have 4 men down inside the house.

As was said above, direct resources in 3 roles... Protection of the downed members, Rescue, and combatting the fire as best you can so it doesn't flank your donkey and trap the Rescue teams in..

Once out, surround and drown.. Maybe there is still another civvy in there, but at the moment it is clearly too dangerous to send your members in.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
Hey firetruck did you get this scene from the movie Backdraft  :?
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:32:03 PM »
no robert i read the situation in FDNY fire commisioner Tom Von Essens book, "strong of heart". its a good read
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

PF_

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:26:56 PM »
Where did you get that from?

on an unrelated note, has anyone seen the book "bravo two zero" by andy mcnab or "Stayin Alive" about how an SAS guy was on the run from Iraqi's?

Toast

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »
On an unrelated note, POST A NEW THREAD ABOUT IT.

PF_

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 07:55:41 PM »
easy tiger

There is a book related post so I made another book related post  anyway, if youre not part of the solution (finding the book) youre just part of the problem so dont ruin this thread   :mrgreen:

corecutters

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
After a week I have managed to read most the threads referring to anything, sort of Fire Service related...   and I have to say, most threads go off on about 30 tangents.. - So I would agree with Toast up there.

PF_

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 08:47:01 PM »
It doesnt warrant a new thread, it is not fire related anyway.  I dont know why people get os het up about threads going off topic, it happens, not the end of the world.  Has anyone seen those two books?

Toast

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 01:12:51 AM »
P F, Go here: http://www.safirefighter.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=53&topic=711.0

Now, back to saving those downed firefighters....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:16:26 AM by Toast »

PF_

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 03:44:51 PM »
getting back on topic what you do when this happens is "shut down all interior operations, get your asses in their and find them"

What happened for real and did they get out okay?

corecutters

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »
^^ and Watch the fire flank your rescue crews and take all of them...

Active fire is a little more complex than it may seem PF... If you instantly decide to shut down all interioir operations you leave yourself up a deep creek, without the shortest of paddles...

- Temperature and fire conditions start to re-build, and possibly re-ignite in areas you have previously moved through
- Pyrolosis gasses start to build
- The previously reduced fire starts to rebuild, moving into areas you believed were safe, the core strength of the structure you were in starts to weaken further.
- Your rescue crews now have no protection from the fire, the heat, the building gasses which could potentially lead to a flash over.

Everything needs to be taken into consideration, and however vitally important it is to get your guys out, don't kill the rest of your team in the process..

Have you done BA or Compartment Fire Behaviour? .. If not, you will learn much of this on those courses... :)

PF_

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 06:44:22 PM »
havent done BA or CFB course yet.  I know you cant just drop everything though, was quoting Ladder49 when Jack got trapped and John Travolta said that over the radio.  :-P

But thanks for the science lesson mate :wink:

corecutters

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 07:02:16 PM »
Not that much of a Hollywood buff...

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 10:10:44 AM »
I Believe The Quote Was Shut Down All Exterior Operations & Get In There And Find Him.

Toast

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »
I Believe The Quote Was Shut Down All Exterior Operations & Get In There And Find Him.

This man wins.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »
Yay What Did I Win?

corecutters

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 07:28:59 PM »
A CFS cap......

(After you pay for it............)

(No matter how many years you have volluntered... Cough the money son !)...

(Unless you are an officer  -  Then we will give you one...)

(Cause clearly they are more important...)

(Even though no matter how many more years you have served as a F/F copared to them as an officer... )

(Still gotta pay......... Cough the money son!)

(Woop Too late................ outta caps...)

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:31:12 PM by corecutters »

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 08:04:29 AM »
LOL

Your officers got it good..... we still had to pay for ours!

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »
I Got A Royal Show Main Arena Crew Cap So I Am All Good I Was Hoping For A Fire Truck Or Turn Out Bag.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »

jeeze everyone in my brigade got a CFS cap and polo shirt (paid for from brigade funds).  We also had the option to buy a CFS windcheater (with your own money).  I thought pretty much every brigade did something similar, it's not very much money and helps you all look and feel part of the team.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 01:19:05 PM »
Nope We Have Quiet A Few Members, We Get Our Turn Out Gear Thats About It.  Anything Else You Have To Get Yourself.  We Put Our Brigade Funds To New Stuff That Could Be Used On The Job.

Toast

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 03:14:46 PM »
Nope We Have Quiet A Few Members, We Get Our Turn Out Gear Thats About It.  Anything Else You Have To Get Yourself.  We Put Our Brigade Funds To New Stuff That Could Be Used On The Job.

Cotton T-Shirts as part of PPE  :wink:

anything