Author Topic: pbi gold  (Read 45829 times)

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: pbi gold
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
That is interesting Matt a few months ago you were saying the poster said Pbi could only be worn to structure fires or car fires but can be worn at OIC discretion.

I think the position changed substantially once some of the HQ gurus became involved, their thoughts were that it was paid for and provided to be worn - not sit in a station because it might get dirty.

If it gets dirty send it in for washing, if it gets damaged send it in for repair, don't compromise firefighter safety because of a budgetary concern.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »
wow that thinking is kinda out of character from what we are used to.

Offline firey666

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
Guys and gals, you work out who you are.

If you have PBI and feel the need to wear it wear it, What are they going to do if you go against a group policy which holds no water at all.

go with the state directive, It is to be used for Structure and can be used fro RCR and limited protection at Hazmat.

In the end its your life not theirs, use that is why they provided it.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
If your Truck, Qav, Tanker/BWC or command vehicle doesn't have proper burnover protection, would you feel better wearing PBI gold whilst cowering under your woolen blanket, with adrenaline leaking out your backdoor?
Yeah I know that you wouldn't want to wear it actively fighting scrub fires, just a scenario!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2008, 12:28:25 PM »
Why would you have PBI pants and a Nomex coat to some jobs?
Not having a go at anyone, but I can't
work out the logic in doing this.

You're allegedly supposed to carry your structural kit with you at a rural fire, so Lofty Group have suggested that rather than carry 2 sets of gear, you wear your PBI Gold pants, and carry 2 coats.  Most of your body heat is supposedly lost through your upper body anyway, so having heavier pants shouldn't make that much difference heat wise.  (It just looks a bit ...gooberish, as Pixie said).

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »
Wont look so Gooberish if a Gold version of the Level 1 Turnout coat was created ;)

Since PBI gold can be purchased in 4 components (Coat outer, Coat Liner, Pants Outer, Pants Liner).

The CFS could supply to all volunteers the following:
Coat Outer
Pants Outer

And for BA operators, current situation, but also a Liner-less Coat too.

This would return the CFS to single coloured turnout gear.  :-D

OH SORRY NUMBERS, TOO LOGICAL, MY MISTAKE  :evil:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:06:16 PM by Zippy »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
That is interesting Matt a few months ago you were saying the poster said Pbi could only be worn to structure fires or car fires but can be worn at OIC discretion.

I think the position changed substantially once some of the HQ gurus became involved, their thoughts were that it was paid for and provided to be worn - not sit in a station because it might get dirty.

If it gets dirty send it in for washing, if it gets damaged send it in for repair, don't compromise firefighter safety because of a budgetary concern.

After all they get our services for free, so if they want that to continue we will wear what is the best protection for us....Thanks :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »
It just looks a bit ...gooberish, as Pixie said).

Wont look so Gooberish if a Gold version of the Level 1 Turnout coat was created ;)

If people have a current L1 Jacket, I don't think it looks too gooberish. The day/night reflective striping is consistant overall. I honestly think it looks worse when you have volunteers in a combo of:

L1 Day Stripe
L1 Night Stripe
L1 Orange-Yellow Coat W/ CFS Coat of arms on the shoulder.
L1 Orange-Yellow overalls
Red/Silver CFS Back Marking
Silver Silouette Back Marking
Silver Italic Silouette Back Marking

Mix that all together for an outfit and your regular volunteer looks far worse than a bloke wearing PBI pants and a L1 Coat.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...