Author Topic: CFS FAQ's  (Read 23943 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFS FAQ's
« on: August 12, 2006, 01:39:49 AM »
The following thread is for compiling a list of the most frequently asked questions or misunderstandings in relation to the SA Country Fire Service.  Please do not discuss these issues here, but rather start a new thread. As more questions appear, I'll add them into this post so that they all appear on the first page.

If you see something incorrect below, and its only minor, it'll be best if you PM me, rather than clutter up this thread. thanks!

Q: Why does CFSRES or URGMSG appear on all response pages even when CFS aren't responded?

A:(From corecutters)
1) From day dot the SAGRN pagers were programed for the Tone 7 to be a response tone.
2) The set prefix (word / symbol that triggered the activation of tone 7 was   *CFSRES:   or    URGMSG.
3) So if MFS send pages to MFS DO's or Stations with pagers, the prefix *CFSRES: will set off tone 7, just like CFS pagers... Despite the fact NO CFS is responding.....

(from Darius)
URGMSG is the same as CFSRES in that it activates tone 7 on the pager, however URGMSG additionally triggers the siren and (optionally) opens the station doors.  Hence a brigade can choose slightly different actions for different calls or at different times of day etc.  That was the intent anyway, some brigades have CFSRES set the siren and open the doors (making CFSRES and URGMSG the same).

(and finally, from medevac)
[it is used for all services because] CFSRES is a pre-determined part of any response message in the MFS CAD database (same as the 'MFS'prefix, and the date/time)... this is due to the fact that MFS/CFS/SES quite regularly responded together, and it keeps things simple... not having to change/add bits and pieces when it is determined that CFS or SES are apart of the response...

Q: What's a pumper?

A:(from skirkmoe)
By the definition of volume in a pump (not talking pressure here for a moment. but the simple thing is....
1000-2000 lts/min = light pumper
2000-3000 lts/min = medium pumper
3000+ lts/min = pumper

these volumes are usually operated at about 1000kpa or there about 150psi. If you start to talk about high pressure then it's usually 3,500 - 4,000 kpa... so about 3 times what a standard appliance usually runs at.

A standard CFS 24 appliance runs usually a 300GPM, so about 1140 lts/min. A 24P or 34P runs a 500GPM pump.... so 1900 lts/min... so in reality if we call a 24P and 34P a pumper, why can't a standard 24 or 34 also be called a pumper, after all it fits in the same bracket of pumper!

The HE-500 pump that runs on 24P and 34P appliances is only a volume pump, not a pressure as it's only designed to be used around 1000 kpa... (so when people just keep winding them up to get more pressure it usually does pump damage) that's why some of the older type pumpers and new ones have a separate high pressure stage. Some people may remember the old SAMFS Isuzu pumpers that were in Adelaide, glen Osmond and prospect (now based in country stations) but they only had a 500GPM pump also so they were not usually used to boost...

The new Type 2 appliances run a Rosenbaur NH30 I think it's called, it's a multistage 3000lts/min pump.... so on the boarder of medium and pumper status. As also has been stated they have a number of inlets and outlets to be able to boost more effectively....
Anyway I have probably rambled enough for the minute and hope i haven't caused too much confusion.

P.S. - if an appliance is a 'pumper' the stowage is different as has been suggested.... 4xCABA, different hose, PPV etc. I'll try and dig out a stowage list from somewhere....

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:14:58 AM by CFS_Firey »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: CFS FAQ's
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:07:41 PM »
Images are copyright

Offline Ashes

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:59:45 PM »
We will have a detailed definition of the Pumpers in the CFS on our website shortly after having discussions with HQ.  There are certainly some broad statements about capacities and flow rates and I hope the pages we display will define these in line with the CFS model.

Looking at the database we have here, there are not many we found to be over the 3785l/m rating.  One is at Nuriootpa, and the other is at Millicent with 3800l/m.  The Dennis is another one I am attempting to find the details on.  I think I deleted the email.

It looks like the details will be in line with the NFPA definitions.

Ashes

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »
Thought nuri and millicents type2 were only running the rosenbauer pump that tops out at 3000l/pm??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »
They are only the NH30, so the only pumps over that is Dennis. unsure about if burnside and stirling meet the heavy pumper catergory.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »
As discussed in another thread, Burnside Pumper only just makes Light Pumper....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:35:51 PM »
They are only the NH30, so the only pumps over that is Dennis. unsure about if burnside and stirling meet the heavy pumper catergory.

As stated by a Lofty DGO Stirling Pumper is a great appliance, its the pump which keeps letting the side down,due to the bandaid job first stage pump they put in it,instead of the one that was supposed to be installed. :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline disOrderly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »
What is the CFS State Air Desk?
Check out the Australian Healthcare Forums: http://aushealth.forumup.com.au/

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:14 AM »
The guy's who deal with the bushfire hotline/air attack response/intelligence/paperwork processing.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
The guy's who deal with the bushfire hotline/air attack response/intelligence/paperwork processing.

Not quite. Bushfire hotline is still handled by MFS [Adelaide Fire], even when the air desk was open 24/7 MFS still got lumped with the hotline!

Offline J_Buss

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
    • SilverSounds Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
What is MFSs Change of Quarters mean and why does it have response tone?
Also what do CFS do at 'helicopter landing' incidents?
J_Buss

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
Change of quarters refers to moving appliances from their home station, to another station, to cover the second station, when they are tied up on something.  Regularly see MFS appliances being moved  to other MFS stations. 

CFS called in to cover MFS stations when things get very busy (I understand that for one of the Wingfield fires, there was only one MFS appliance in a metro station - CFS were covering all of the other stations, and all of the MFS trucks were at the fire!) 

CFSRES tone is used for CFS, as it is actually a callout.

CFS (and sometime SES) crews are called to set up a helo landing site - they need to find a suitable location, nearby the location, clear it of hazards, ensure people aren't in the way, check for hazards such as powerlines, and advised the incoming chopper, provide a GPS location for the location, and, if at night, light the area for the chopper (and there are specific lighting requirements.)

They also need to liaise with the chopper in regard to thing like weather conditions / wind speed / direction etc.

Depending on where the chopper lands, relative to the incident, CFS crews may also ferry the incoming crews to the scene.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline J_Buss

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
    • SilverSounds Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:24:04 PM »
Ok
J_Buss

misterteddy

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:35 AM »
I think "thank you" was the word you were looking for