Author Topic: station stats (O2 & SES/Rope Rescue)  (Read 22842 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: station stats (O2 & SES/Rope Rescue)
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2005, 02:00:58 AM »
why bother getting you out of bed... to do a job that you haven't got all the tools for?

I was referring to responding them to incidents which we are already attending because its their job

what specialized rope rescue gear do you carry?[/b]

We carry everything needed for a high angle rescue - Stokes Litter, Lowering devices, Haul safe (for raising), Belay setups, plenty of rope, and harnesses etc.
The only type of rope rescue incidents we need help with are vertical rescue (ie, someone fallen down a mine shaft, or into an empty sewage pond). In these situations, the only extra equipment needed is a device to redirect the rope above the hole...

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2005, 10:12:14 AM »
By the sounds of this particular job maybe s.e.s should have been responded for backup, it can't hurt.

We had a job a few years ago that saas called us to help carry an injured patient out of a gorge, s.e.s went to the media because they thought it was thier job, so now we just respond them to everything and if they get a stop thats their bad luck.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: station stats (O2 & Rope Rescue)
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2005, 09:45:11 AM »
Poached is a very strong word! I am aware of many cases where another service has taken a function that was "once" performed by SES, however locally the SES either didn't want to continue with the skill, didn't have the membership, couldn't respond in an appriopriate time frame or the community decided that the two services were the same peole and hence placed the majority of the primary/initial response equipment with the fire service.

As for duplication - this affects all services - EVERY service - and coverers everthing from RCR, Hazmat, Vertical Recuse, Confined space, CBR, USAR the list goes on and on (why do SES have pumps - when they want to do resuce - sand bags would do - fire service has pumps????  - sorry devils question - but duplication and it's about stats!!!!)

It's all about STATS - maybe one day someone will overlook the stats and look at value to the community and workload on the emeregcy service teams  :-D

Firetruck I'm sure you can very easily find this out!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2005, 03:28:12 PM »
Poke me when that day arrives.....    :-D  :lol:

corocfs

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2005, 09:32:19 AM »
dont take it as gospel, but im pretty sureSES have pumps, to pump out basements at flooding jobs.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2005, 06:57:34 PM »
Interesting that although many list members seem to be strong advocates of one fire service in this state (ie: MFS/CFS amalgamation) that they seem to differentiate with the SES. Surely one single fire/rescue response agency for the state would be the go, keeping in line with this thinking.

(Note that I personally remain unconvinced that that the fire/emergency services or the community would be better off under a single banner for many off thread reasons).
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2005, 11:16:32 AM »
I think peoples views differ, as the SES have no role in Fire, or Fire related rescue at all.  Thus why amalgamation with the Fire Services would be rather unusual.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2005, 11:28:45 AM »
I think if everybody takes a step back and look and some broader issues one service to provide all emergency services in this state wouldn't be that difficult.

There is a significant replication of services provided in all MFS, CFS and SES. Not only in primary response roles, but in operational and non operational roles. This includes Staff like VSO, Regional Officers and Training officers.

A one service for all doesn't mean that to be in the, lets say civil response (SES) that you'd have to be fire trained, vica versa, to be in the fire service you have to have training in Search and Rescue, USAR and Flood Mitigation. If you look closely, in a lot of areas throughout SA a lot of people already volunteer in colocated SES/CFS brigades/unit. Most members at Yankalilla already carry out both role, I believe this is also the case in Strathalbyn and many other areas.

It would be an easy transition and the money saved for no longer replicating staff role and equipment could be placed easily back to the volunteers, with improved equipment, training, support, etc.

I don't see whats so hard about it!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2005, 02:41:25 PM »
I think peoples views differ, as the SES have no role in Fire, or Fire related rescue at all.  Thus why amalgamation with the Fire Services would be rather unusual.

I'm not sure - I think the more unusual thing is to have an SES?

I don't think, for example, the LAFD are assisted by an SES type agency? I think many fire services around the world handle all fire/rescue type responses? (Including paramedics but let's not go there!)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2005, 03:54:24 PM »
Interesting thought - one service and reduction in staff costs!

ESAU and then Safecomm were introduced to reduce the staff and hence wages and on costs of duplication across three services!  Surprisingly though, ESAU and now Safecomm has higher staff numbers and therefore wages and all on-costs than the original ones when each staff maintained those services individually.

Operationally we are different ... however as has been stated we could provide other services with members transitioning between services/functions.

For this to occur, we must also consider medical assistance/first responder - witnessed this several weeks ago interstate and the fire service arrived 12 minutes before the medical service and this was a Tuesday night, 5 km from the CBD!

Internationally singular services provide that of many here, however we would loose a percentage of our members and as stated before, how can we perform additional roles until we are competent in all of our current ones - and that ain't happening for a long time!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2005, 06:09:22 PM »
I've started a new topic about when the CFS needs the SES: http://www.safirefighter.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=53&?topic=213
Perhaps there should be another one discussing a combined service?

strikeathird

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2005, 08:52:32 PM »

I'm not sure - I think the more unusual thing is to have an SES?

I don't think, for example, the LAFD are assisted by an SES type agency? I think many fire services around the world handle all fire/rescue type responses? (Including paramedics but let's not go there!)

I agree, I believe the Fire Service could handle it all.  The only thing I could think of where the need might be apparent, would be MAJOR storm, or natural disaster typer responses, where damage is so far spread, the extra manpower is required.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2005, 11:35:13 AM »
New thread created here:

http://www.safirefighter.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=53&topic=214.0

Discussion related to the combining of services... Lets try not to digress on this topic much more....

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2005, 08:27:32 PM »
Back on to the station stats topic, how are peoples call rates going so far? Below, same or above last year at this stage of the year?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
We;ve clocked up 30 or 31 so far. Been really quiet actually, but had 8 calls in the last week.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2005, 09:33:44 PM »
Queitly motoring along on 78 after 2 calls yesterday
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

strikeathird

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2005, 01:32:07 AM »
Round the 50 mark.

rescue5271

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2005, 01:38:26 PM »
We are up to 24 its been very quite but we have had two scrub fires in one day about 3 hours apart and that is not good...

corocfs

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2005, 10:47:42 PM »

anything