Author Topic: Summer Crew Jobs  (Read 36154 times)

rescue5271

Re: Summer Crew Jobs
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 09:47:15 AM »
But you never know whats going to happen in the CFS.........

probie_boy

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 03:02:05 PM »
hey guys,

im a little closer to becoming an employee of national sparks and wildfires.

i was asked to come in for an interview last monday at black hill conservation park. That went pretty well.

Yesterday I received a call saying that I had got to the next stage, which is the medical and physical. The medical is this friday, and the physical next monday. If I pass both of those its then down to just skills and who they think is best.

wish me luck.....ya filtered!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
I rung up Forestry SA & DSE this arvo regarding the jobs i applied for at those 2 agencies for the fire season and they said that applications are still being processed

So its a case of wait & see thats why everytime i go out I'll have my house phone diverted to my mobile for the next few weeks incase of a call to go in for an interview  :-D

Good luck mate but remember that once you pass the medical the fitness test isn't gonna be a walk in the park its going to be a really tiring walk over anywhere between 3-5 kms in 30 minutes or more carrying either a 11 or 15 kg backpack

Take it from someone who has done the DSE fitness test and found it hard cause NPWSA & DSE fire fighters are the ones who go into scrub & other inaccessible terrain to fight fires

So just take it easy ok  :wink: and dont be intimidated by the competition cause chances are you will pass and they wont
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 01:10:11 PM »
Good luck mate but remember that once you pass the medical the fitness test isn't gonna be a walk in the park its going to be a really tiring walk over anywhere between 3-5 kms in 30 minutes or more carrying either a 11 or 15 kg backpack

Take it from someone who has done the DSE fitness test and found it hard cause NPWSA & DSE fire fighters are the ones who go into scrub & other inaccessible terrain to fight fires

So just take it easy ok  :wink: and dont be intimidated by the competition cause chances are you will pass and they wont

Probie just came back from KI perfect training ground :-D :lol:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:17:41 PM by CFS_Firey »
Images are copyright

probie_boy

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 11:07:59 AM »
yeah, and I have actually been training for it a little. I knew what the requirements of the physical were already, so i have a bit of a heads up. you watch, i'll be all hyped for the physical and find out I have high blood presure or something and will fail the medical! I doubt it though.

parks actually tried to call me 5 times, but I was on KI, and I don't think they've even heard of the words "mobile phone tower" over there. so they tried again and got me when i got back. its hilarious when you land at the airport and your phone vibrates for about 2 minutes straight with messages and missed calls.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 01:31:35 PM »
....but I was on KI, and I don't think they've even heard of the words "mobile phone tower" over there. so they tried again and got me when i got back. its hilarious when you land at the airport and your phone vibrates for about 2 minutes straight with messages and missed calls.

Last I heard is that Telstra are the only mobile phone tower on Kangaroo Island.

If you walk through parts of Deep Creek conservation park, a Telstra connected mobile phone will connect to the Kangaroo Island tower, while every other mobile disconnects.

Found this out during planning for a bushwalk with young kids. Big shuffle of mobile phones between parents to ensure walkers could contact the 4wd vehicle if required.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 06:12:09 PM »
hey all,

i passed my medical today. I was just a little porky  :-P and had had average flexibility, but besides that, it was all good.

now only have my physical monday, one hurdle to go!

:-D

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 06:27:24 PM »
A physical that consists of a single Hurdle jump? What are our fire services coming to?  :wink:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »
Good on ya mate for passing the medical  :wink: when i went for the DSE job a couple years back i passed both stages but bombed out on the fitness test as alot more was required plus you need to do the test within a required time of 30 minutes or less

2090 the fitness test requires all applicants to undertake a pack hike carrying a backpack of anywhere between 11-20kgs other a certain amount of distance within 30 minutes or less trust me i have been there and done that  :-D

boy of probation good luck on the fitness test mate as you'll be up against people who have probably had the same job before but dont let the competition intimidate you ok  :wink: dont make the same mistake i did

Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 11:05:33 PM »
Good on ya mate for passing the medical  :wink: when i went for the DSE job a couple years back i passed both stages but bombed out on the fitness test as alot more was required plus you need to do the test within a required time of 30 minutes or less

2090 the fitness test requires all applicants to undertake a pack hike carrying a backpack of anywhere between 11-20kgs other a certain amount of distance within 30 minutes or less trust me i have been there and done that  :-D

boy of probation good luck on the fitness test mate as you'll be up against people who have probably had the same job before but dont let the competition intimidate you ok  :wink: dont make the same mistake i did

thanks a lot mate

yeah i know what im up for.

this one is complete 4 laps of the front area of black hill c.p. in 30 mins or les with a 10kg weighted pack on. and do 100 rakehoe strikes in 3 mins or something. thats what you have to do to pass to the best of my knowledge.

probie_boy

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 10:45:50 AM »
hey,

well, i failed unfortunately. :cry:

I was on lap 4 of 8 when the instructor pulled me off.

so after all that effort, nothing. which sucks really bad. you feel like you wasted a month and a half.

oh well, next year.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 10:55:51 AM »
:-o why did the instructor pull you off after all you did 4 laps is there any reason why he did this :?

As for me i rung up Lita Recruitment Services yesterday following up on the job application and they still havent heard anything yet from Green Triangle Forest Products so its another nervous wait :|
Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »
:-o why did the instructor pull you off after all you did 4 laps is there any reason why he did this :?

He said because I looked like I wouldn't finish the 8 laps in under 30 mins. He said i "could do one more, but you're pretty much done".

oh well, i'll try again next year!

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »
Well you did your best mate,always next year... Now we could run a book to see if robert gets in???
blinky bill
my view only

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »
what was tour time after 4 laps?

keep trying

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 06:02:25 PM »
Opps
what was your time after 4 laps

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »
I have applied for another forestry job and this time its with StateWide Forest Services who are a Tasmanian base bluegum forest company with an office/depot in Mount Gambier

At this same time in 2004 the Green Corps job appeared in The Border Watchso this might be a repeat of my success in getting a job in 2005 cause i've got an interview next week with the employer quite possibly on Wednesday  :-D and its about in the same time frame when i got a interview with the Green Corps

Plus the added bonus which i think maybe the clincher is my CFS leve 1 & 2 training cause the job requires people to not only do pruning,planting,competition control but also fire fighting

The job ad specifically stated that having CFS training would be an advantage so it sounds like i may have both feet in the door as well as a job come the end of this week coming

Will keep you updated  :wink:     

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
Have you got your truck licence Rob? As I see they wanted that too.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
They didnt specifically ask for a certain licence ath just a regular drivers licence but i did tell the employer on the phone that im willing & keen to do any training which includes truck licencing if its offered to me

If that doesnt prove how keen I am in getting this job so badly I dont know what will  :wink: :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2006, 01:05:56 PM »
Sometimes being TOO KEEN can lose you the job as well :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 02:35:08 PM »
I didnt show i was TOO KEEN SA Firey but saying that you are willing to do any training offered does the give employer a good impression  :wink:

Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
Opps
what was your time after 4 laps

14 mins or something to that effect.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 04:11:23 PM »
14 minutes for 4 out of 8 laps in a 30 minute test???

i know your gonna start slowing down a bit, but i think the instructor needs to go back to math class....

probie_boy

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
i believe it was because on one lap i exceeded the 3:45 lap time which was supposed to be the standard. but, still stupid.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »
Thats normal for running laps, you start at a good time  a few slower laps in the middle and then most people go faster for the last few laps.

anything