Author Topic: SAAS Overload  (Read 15155 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SAAS Overload
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 08:55:49 PM »
i heard a rumour a while back also that Blackwood Brigade were all being put through the training

Are Blackwood actually carrying an AED, I heard a brigade in the group was, can anyone confirm it??

thats affirmitive.

although i highly doubt it will ever get used... around here, we either get the call half an hour after SAAS or not at all....

rescue5271

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 08:11:16 PM »
You are correct there is more to a heart case than just o2 and CBR and I would say that should the fire service follow those steps our roll would be to provide basic help till SAAS arrive but in remote areas you may find a brigade will be trained in some drug admin to the patient due to the distance of the job....Its not rocket science its basic life support.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 12:15:47 PM »
A while back SAAS approached MFS with the idea of them being first responders similar to how paramedics in US do.Apparently when asked how much extra they would get for doing it the answer was nothing,so based on all the risks involved they were turned down flat.

However the MFB have taken up the challenge with VIC ambos and seems to be working well.

CFS/MFS can always be called if due to overload and a life threat situation exists similar to what happened at Mount Gambier the other week which was talked about in another thread,so when the call comes we do what we do best...serve our community :-D

Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 02:22:56 PM »
CFA/MFB are all doing medical calls with vic ambos and have done for a number of years and its working well,they are just about to start a trial in some country areas where there is little or no ambo's...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 11:00:25 PM »
who said we dont help SAAS??? lol...

1919416 21:43:32 16-09-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: MANNUM RESPOND TO MANNUM AMBULANCE STATION - 2 CREW MEMBERS REQUIRED TO ASSIST SAAS; DRIVER AND BASIC FIRST-AIDER < 16/09/2006 21:43:18

1916012 21:33:07 16-09-06 MM181 Cat3 Lot 127 Purnong Rd, Purnong VIOLENCE AT SCENE

Offline Smallflame

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 06:33:29 PM »
Robert, the problem with training people in Oxygen resus and external de-fibrillation, is that the skills need to be updated on a yearly basis (that is, you have to do a refresher course very year).
That's more time commitment for volunteers, and a lot of money.  Instead, I can see strategic brigades getting the training - in areas where SAAS are far away, or under-resourced...

Despite people having training in these areas through the advanced resus courses offered, I've talked to an amazing number of people who have had the training who don't understand exceptions in which things like Oxyviva kits shouldnt' be used. I can see the day someone comes across a CO2 retainer, and the following dramas once people with basic training in advanced resus try to administer 02 at  litres a minute...

Unless more comprehensive training is offered, I can't see responding C/MFS being very sucessful as anything other than a last resort.

Toast

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »
Despite people having training in these areas through the advanced resus courses offered, I've talked to an amazing number of people who have had the training who don't understand exceptions in which things like Oxyviva kits shouldnt' be used. I can see the day someone comes across a CO2 retainer, and the following dramas once people with basic training in advanced resus try to administer 02 at  litres a minute...

Unless more comprehensive training is offered, I can't see responding C/MFS being very sucessful as anything other than a last resort.
Thats a terribly small percentage of people who would have that issue. The training that is currently provided is far more along the lines of assisting ambos, or brief use at an incident rather than to be responded soley for that reason.

pumprescue

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 07:59:08 PM »
CFS/MFS/SES who ever if they are trained in advance resus are there for life threatening cases where they are the only help available. As you would notice in your training on this they say you are trained in it because it is better to do something then stand there with your finger up your bum and let someone die. we are not ambos but if we have to do the job and we are trained just get on and do it.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
OXYVIVA every appliance should have one

All MFS appliances do, so why are we continually knocked back for a life saving device not only for the public but us FIREYS. :x

An Ambulance wont always reach you in TEN MINUTES :-o

Anyone else having trouble convincing the powers to be for grant approval for these lifesaving devices?

Sick of hearing the NOT STANDARD STOWAGE argument :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 12:09:40 AM »
The RCR brigades on the Flurieu are meant to be getting them at some stage for the Appliances carrying RCR equipment but in the couple hundred prangs i've been to probably only once or twice it would have been useful, but trying to convince the powers that they'd be more useful on the rural appliances is also going on deaf ears???
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline squiddy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 08:06:12 AM »
Until such time as the desk jockeys and pen pushers who decide emergency service budgets are actually out there doing our work we will continue to be knocked back for this equipment because "an ambulance will be on its way". I think these people are living in a dreamworld if they think we will always get a timely response from an ambulance service that is having major crewing issues.

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 12:08:01 PM »
The issue of Oxygen Therapy gear on appliances has now gone to the Strategic Leadership Group for discussion.

Whatever they say will be the go for the state, it's no longer in the hands of one Regional Commander.

Stay tuned.

rescue5271

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »
about time,   but how long is a piece of string

PF_

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 10:34:51 PM »
twice as long as from one end to the middle

anything