Author Topic: Brigade Level Training  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Brigade Level Training
« on: July 12, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »
Gday Folks,

Not sure if this is in the right spot but im sure someone will move it.

Anyway.

Just curious, how does a brigade keep up its skill levels if it doesnt have any in house training?

Been thinking about this for a while and even though what im about to suggest would mean taking more time out of Vollies busy lives but it would improve safety on the fire ground.

What if State HQ were to implement a yearly training roster for brigades to complete in house?  e.g 1 training per month on the basics like pumping and hose work etc.

Would this be too much pressure on brigades to complete?

What do people think and what things should/would be included?

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Brigade Level Training
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »
i can imagine the uproar it would cause right now...

but your right, im often a bit concerned about the brigades that do 0-5 calls a year and train "as organised".....

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:09:45 PM »
Camo:
mate you have hit the nail on the head,I say bring training on there are brigade's out there that dont do any training and there needs to be some sort of training in house or at group level. Just beacuse you have done BFF1 and that is all you do does not mean you have the skills to do it for 10 years or more...We have a great training session here In Naracoorte and we make sure that we cover the area's in training that the brigade responds to(RCR,CABA,ROPE / CAVE RESCUE and HAZMAT)

Manuel

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 12:20:42 AM »
Soooo true that training is important, I think that many brigades have brought in their own standards. But as Rescue5271 said a good training session is a well organized one, and if it is organized training session people should be intrested.

Offline D_wan

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 12:38:09 AM »
that is soooo true,
 i also believe we should dedicate at least 1 training per month to the basics, they prove to be some of the most critical mistakes and should be 2nd nature to every member.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:07:23 PM »
As you will soon see the members who havent attended training for a while,will come as soon as fire season hits,and scramble to get on the appliance....so OIC's if you havent seen them for 12 months they havent kept their skills up so if anything happens the OH&S lady will be right onya :-)
Images are copyright

PF_

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 06:42:48 PM »
We got a rule like that, if you havent shown up to trainign for a month or so then you dont get on the truck, if there is enough crew I would assume...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:07:03 PM »
As you will soon see the members who havent attended training for a while,will come as soon as fire season hits,and scramble to get on the appliance....so OIC's if you havent seen them for 12 months they havent kept their skills up so if anything happens the OH&S lady will be right onya :-)

You are right on the money safirey its common in alot of brigades i can tell you that  :wink:

Oh yeah Blinky and Camo i might be thinking about doing training with either of your brigades one day soon before the fire season thats if you wont mind me coming along to a training session by myself  :-D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 08:12:18 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 12:52:57 PM »

Oh yeah Blinky and Camo i might be thinking about doing training with either of your brigades one day soon before the fire season thats if you wont mind me coming along to a training session by myself  :-D

I would suggest going to Blinkeys training....they would be able to offer you more then what we could.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

corecutters

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 01:04:13 PM »
Nice handball, now who's going to kick into the 50..  :P

Congrats on having a get up and go attitude to do further training !  I wish some others were more like it !!

Various brigades train to what they consider their need.. Which I guess in reality, if you only attend 5 calls, might seem sufficient... - But what happens when you are called to a deployment interstate, and you haven't rolled a hose or started a pump ni 8 months?

I think some form of regulated training, should be put into place, HOWEVER, only with consultation with the fire fighters !

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 01:57:15 PM »
I agree corecutters training should be important regardless of how busy or amount calls a brigade gets as this training will come in handy when it comes to strike team deployments during fire season

Also doing first aid training  wouldnt harm as from what i have read in today's Border Watch that Mount Gambier MFS & a couple Gambier Group CFS brigades were called out to assist with medical emergencies the other day when Ambos were busy on other calls

Kalangadoo Brigade

corecutters

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 03:27:05 PM »
I agree corecutters training should be important regardless of how busy or amount calls a brigade gets as this training will come in handy when it comes to strike team deployments during fire season

Also doing first aid training  wouldnt harm as from what i have read in today's Border Watch that Mount Gambier MFS & a couple Gambier Group CFS brigades were called out to assist with medical emergencies the other day when Ambos were busy on other calls

I highly doubt they would have responded in replacement of the Ambulance, that would go against all protocol. They may have responded to a call from SAAS to assit the crews AT the job, but not "instead" of.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »

I highly doubt they would have responded in replacement of the Ambulance, that would go against all protocol. They may have responded to a call from SAAS to assit the crews AT the job, but not "instead" of.

They didnt respond in replacement of SAAS corecutters but they did respond due to the heavy workload that SAAS Paramedics as they had about 3 or 4 cases going at once and couldnt be everywhere so thats why MFS & CFS were called to aid SAAS crews with medical emergencies 

Getting back on the topic before us, the way CFS groups could increase training is by getting all brigades in 1 group to respond to a mock incident like a bushfire or flood and blow the cobwebs off their skills that way and brushen them up as well as give the appliances a good work out   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:38:47 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

corecutters

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »

They didnt respond in replacement of SAAS corecutters but they did respond due to the heavy workload that SAAS Paramedics as they had about 3 or 4 cases going at once and couldnt be everywhere so thats why MFS & CFS were called to aid SAAS crews with medical emergencies 

Getting back on the topic before us, the way CFS groups could increase training is by getting all brigades in 1 group to respond to a mock incident like a bushfire or flood and blow the cobwebs off their skills that way and brushen them up as well as give the appliances a good work out   

I'm sorry, but where did you get that from? - I dont understand this part - and couldnt be everywhere so thats why MFS & CFS were called to aid SAAS crews with medical emergencies.   -  You are saying they couldn't be everywhere, to me that means the fire service were responded in their place, which, doesn't occur.

The ONLY time they would have responded, was to ASSIT the SAAS crews, who would have been ALREADY on scene. - EG - Patient lift, etc. 

They would not get responded because they had a heavy workload, and needed first-aiders / people to attend in their place.. That doesn't happen !  (Maybe like I said to assist with patient lifts becuase other ambulance crews were tied up, but not to directly assisnt with any emergency related Px treatment).

Don't shoot from the hip, or say things that can be easily mis-read. They get questions being asked, and mis-lead people from the truth, or what you could actually mean. ~ Last thing you need a post on this forum to do, is tie up comms staff or agency heads with questions from "Bosses" because they have read this and want to know what the heck you are talking about..  (Ane trust me, people up the chain of command do read this forum, and others like it, and, rightfully so).

And don't post Assumptions.  They make an A$$ out of U and ME  (ASSUME)...

CC
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:21:16 PM by corecutters »

Offline Crankster 34

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 06:23:46 PM »
CC - Robert pretty much correct with his comments.

Mt Gambier MFS and a CFS brigade were responded a day or two ago as first responders to a cardiac arrest case in the Mount. As Rob said Ambos were flat out and didn't have a second car to to backup the first car at the Cat 1 job.

I will try and dig up the pager message but it definately requested first responders to assist with the patient.

Maybe Athol can tell us more..
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 07:00:40 PM »
I seen the pager message myself and was surprised to see MFS get dispatched for a Cat 1 case but according to what i read in the Border Watch is that Mount Gambier MFS carry medical oxygen tanks & first aid kits in their appliances

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 07:06:21 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

corecutters

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 08:47:36 PM »
Well if this was the case I apologise (I am the first person to step up to the plate and apologise when proven incorrect), however, it goes against anything i have ever heard of / any protocol I know of...

So.. Let me kind of understand this... Fire Service were responded to a Cardiac Arrest (which is a Category 1, and would be a normal 2 car SAAS response), instead of the ambulance, because they were busy at the time with other jobs?   - Were additional SAAS cars sent also??

-On the 02 note, Im guessing it is Oxy viva.. Im assuming they do not carry a bag and mask with 100% 02 sat possibilities, im also guessing they don't carry a Heart Start / AED MRX defribrillator or have consult to direct medical advice??

I would be very interested to see the log and sincerely hope that they were not responded alone / without SAAS at least on the way...

What jobs were on at the same time?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:54:04 PM by corecutters »

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 10:12:44 PM »
Well if this was the case I apologise (I am the first person to step up to the plate and apologise when proven incorrect), however, it goes against anything i have ever heard of / any protocol I know of...

So.. Let me kind of understand this... Fire Service were responded to a Cardiac Arrest (which is a Category 1, and would be a normal 2 car SAAS response), instead of the ambulance, because they were busy at the time with other jobs?   - Were additional SAAS cars sent also??

-On the 02 note, Im guessing it is Oxy viva.. Im assuming they do not carry a bag and mask with 100% 02 sat possibilities, im also guessing they don't carry a Heart Start / AED MRX defribrillator or have consult to direct medical advice??

I would be very interested to see the log and sincerely hope that they were not responded alone / without SAAS at least on the way...

What jobs were on at the same time?

Well corecutters i can refer to the other thread SAAS Overload where medevac answered your question there were several high category cases in Mount Gambier that were being attended by paramedics so they had to call MFS as extra man power & drivers since they were over strecthed

Theres actually 2 first responders team here in the South East medevac
1.Salt Creek (Salt Creek CFS)
2.Port MacDonnell
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »
I believe this is the job everyone is referring to:

MFS: RESPOND Assist SAAS 28/08/06 10:39,13 LORIKEET ST,MT GAMBIER, MAP 0 0 0 ,,CARDIAC ARREST - FIRST RESPONDER AND LIFT REQUIRED PRIORITY 1...,701 5528*CFSRES:

To clarify MFS have had OXYVIVA and FIRST AID kits on their appliances for donkeys years even right back to when I did work experience at HQ in 76!!

Hope that clears things up :-D
Images are copyright