Author Topic: BA`s  (Read 29043 times)

PF_

Re: BA`s
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2006, 05:03:44 PM »
I dont dislike fat people I dislike it when people not medically fit try and go into a dangerous situation when they shouldnt be there.
It can be a volunteer service, but those not fit should not volunteer to do BA.  Know your limits.

Manuel

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
halalooyaaaaa, new cheif officer right above me :-D

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2006, 05:09:51 PM »
sorry E but no such luck I can do CABA for another 5 years but our group lost a lot of BA wearers not because they failed but thought they would so did not go for the test. They tried to save the services some money.

A lot of trusted people lost now we have a lot of young gunhoe guys in BA.

Manuel

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2006, 05:12:51 PM »
well i would rather be a young gunhoe, than an old arrogrant know-it-all

PF_

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »
nothing wrong with young gunghoe members thats what is needed.  People to get out there and go for it. 

Manuel

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2006, 05:20:27 PM »
I am sick of old CFS members not giving the young ones a chance, maybe young people would stay longer if they were not treated like scheiße from the older members.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »
many older members have valuble experience but sometimes they dont accept younger ways of thinking and doing things.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
Well I do not like a person who goes of on there own in BA I prefer the one that stays with me and work as a team of 2 not 1.

I am neather old nor young just one that has done a few years in BA and would like to trust my fellow person beside me. We still get the job done.

But still how many members have had a heartattack in CABA?

PF_

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2006, 05:27:58 PM »
gunghoe isnt about going off on your own, its enthusiasm however I gather you have had people go off on their own?  That is just dangerous.

I got no idea how many people have had heart attacks in CABA but maybe that is because there are medical limits put in place.

Manuel

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »
backburn: I am finding it hard to not say what i think here, but you are almost forcing it out of me. :x :x :x

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2006, 05:38:05 PM »
Thats cool say it I am sitting and waiting to read. Have had a wonderfull time talking to you.  :-D

I do not care what age, size, sex,colour,etc just keep an eye on the person who is with you. Its easy to have a ceiling fall around you if you run off on your own. Have seen it and had to carry him back to ambos,one who would not listen to the word stop.

Manuel

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2006, 05:42:45 PM »
Who cares how many people have had a attack while wearing BA, it is common sense that larger people will have a larger risk of hurting themselves than others, if you want to go in with a big friend, he collapses you have to try and pull your big friend out, and he will prob burn. not nice.

PF_

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2006, 05:46:05 PM »
yes discussion is good.

medically unfit people do not belong in BA.  CFS who do BA jobs are doing similar jobs to the MFS and they have a very stringent medical tests and we doing the same jobs do nto have as strong medical and fitness standards yet do the same thing, go figure.

Toast

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »
Backburn, you realise that heart attack is the leading cause of death among CFS volunteers don't you? As a service we are not fit. The only 'medical' we have is that for BA, which as it is now, is a joke of a medical.

And being a young Gung-ho person vs. an old arrogant know it all?

I'm a young arrogant gung-ho know it all! Problem easy solved  :wink:

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2006, 06:01:30 PM »
Well then tell me how the MFS around here have 3 members with a BMI of 37 and yes we have worked that out with them.

lmfao Thank you E that was a wonderfull joke. Quite plane to see you do love big people they stick with you in all your thoughts. I can see a lot of other dangerous things with BA but not as important to some people.  :-D

Good one toast. That is what I have been trying to say all along It should not only be BMI but unfit people as well, I know of a young 18 year old with BMI of 18 has other big medical problems is he better in there than a fat person?

PF_

« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2006, 06:07:11 PM »
not better nto worse as he is too light and and as you say has medical problems, he wouldnt be in BA so that nullifies that. 

Manuel

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2006, 06:08:25 PM »
as someone once said "being a fat firefighter is not a good idea. There's always the chance of getting stuck in the circular hole in the ceiling as you attempt to slide down the pole. You could also fall in a heap at the bottom and other firefighters might land on your tummy, causing them to fly back up the pole in trampoline fashion. Even worse, you could be standing at the fire only to have a colleague, mistaking you for a hydrant, put a hose in your mouth."

Toast

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2006, 06:10:19 PM »
My point is basically that the BMI is not a great indication of fitness, yet it allows a 'rough' guide for the CFS to say no to people on medical grounds. Yes you get the odd person who is fit as a fiddle but has a BMI of 400 but hey, 99% of people over the BMI would be unsuited to the rigours of BA use.

Its not great, but its the best we have... Like so much else in the service  :wink:

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »
as someone once said "being a fat firefighter is not a good idea. There's always the chance of getting stuck in the circular hole in the ceiling as you attempt to slide down the pole. You could also fall in a heap at the bottom and other firefighters might land on your tummy, causing them to fly back up the pole in trampoline fashion. Even worse, you could be standing at the fire only to have a colleague, mistaking you for a hydrant, put a hose in your mouth."

This statement makes me realize how stupid you really are.
No need to discuss this with you any more. Yes this member has got CABA and his medical problem was a form of cancer.

Toast

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2006, 06:20:16 PM »
But wait, E was being funny? I laughed at least.

Manuel

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2006, 06:21:07 PM »
if you saw that as being serious, well (most people will know whats here).

PF_

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2006, 06:21:50 PM »
was there a chance his cancer could impair his ability as a firefighter ie faint or have a seizure?  This seems like a taboo subject but it has to come out.  If it did then he should not have been allowed to be BA.  Also a BMI of 18 is quite low and it is unlikely he wou;d be able to drag out a heavy adult.

yes it was an amusing post from E if you take it in correct context.

Toast

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »
The CFS is bringing in a new Medical for BA anyway, here is the Criteria:

A) The candidate must weigh above 75kg and below 105kg.
B) The candidate must be not shorter than 5'8" and not taller than 6'2"
C) The candidate must have hair of a colour of either blond or brown
D) The candidate must pass a panel of 5 (five) persons who grade the looks and overall masculine appearance of the candidate

Manuel

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2006, 06:28:02 PM »
and they must not come under the name of backburn :-D

PF_

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
whoo hoo Im in :lol:

as long as I dont lose a few kg's, better drink a litre or two of water before going in just to make sure.

anything