Author Topic: Chevrons question  (Read 14544 times)

Manuel

Re: Chevrons question
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 11:27:04 PM »
yea well i got a some black triangles with red stripes in them

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 01:20:31 PM »
they are obviously a bit like our Corporate logo...and on the way out...the organisation is possibly not dedicating enough energy into acknowledgement of the efforts of their vollies...I've been a vollie for 19yrs and only have a 15yr service certificate...not that I really care but we shouldn't have to jump up and down and wave our arms for acknowledgement of our time dedicated :mrgreen:

corecutters

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
^ Have you got your national service?

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 02:40:49 PM »
negative to national service... :cry:

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 04:13:56 PM »
negative to national service... :cry:

I think he means national medal, isn't that the one you get after 15yrs?

I don't think you automatically get any service awards, I think your brigade admin officer has to fill in the paperwork to request them.  Seems odd cos HQ know anyway, perhaps it's to avoid giving them to non-active members who are still on the books.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »
To be awared the National medal - recipents must have given dilligent service for 15 years - some brigades see it as an honour (which it is) not a medal for every tom, filtered and harry - thats what the volunteers medal was for!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »
I still haven't got one...and I am aware of the process..I just disagree with having to say...mmm..excuse me...but I've done 15 years of diligent service...could I have a medal??  I think that it should be driven by RO personally.. :-(

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:07 AM »
You arent the only one CaptCom i was supposed to get a chevron when i got my 10 years service certificate earlier this year  :cry:
Kalangadoo Brigade

corecutters

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »
Captcom - I know ur a DGO now, however if you speak to the admin officer of your last brigade, and mention to them about getting the paper put in.

- Ozfire - any one who serves for 15 years or more has put in a diligent effort in my opinion !

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 02:00:32 PM »
All Hail CaptCom the mighty DGO  8-) :-D

I'll have to wait another 5 years before getting the national medal  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 02:13:39 PM »
Yes, I will mention to the admin officer...there's more than just me in the brigade that are eligible...no need to bow Robert34  :lol:

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 02:19:47 PM »
The thing is, if they were truely serious about recognising the volunteers then this would happen automatically.... not by request.

If I have to ask for something to honour members service, then i dont think they are truely honouring it are they! The thought probably hadent even crossed their minds!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 09:21:43 AM »
The thing is, if they were truely serious about recognising the volunteers then this would happen automatically.... not by request.

If I have to ask for something to honour members service, then i dont think they are truely honouring it are they! The thought probably hadent even crossed their minds!

couldnt have put it better myself!  :mrgreen:

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 09:37:55 AM »
Thats called cocky "filtered" :-D
Images are copyright

Offline btriplefsmifff

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 09:36:05 AM »
I've seen a service award review book put out

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »

National Medal.........I have one.....23 years.....My Father was in 27 years...Brigade Capt .then Deputy GO.......Group Training Officer.......but he didnt qualify for one back then...1994

I put My Chevrons in a frame with My 15 years certificate

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »
I can see it now a Polo Shirt framed with pictures of the brigade members and the shirt signed by all of them :-D

CaptCom members are nominated for the National Medal usually done at a brigade meeting and a unanimous vote then the paperwork goes in.

I agree if you have been a member for fifteen years it should be automatic :wink: 
Images are copyright

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »
Sorry still disagree with the automatic after 15 years!

What world are you people living in?????

CFS once stated 18500 fire fighters - with a guess of about 10000 active - that equates to 21 active members per brigade - what a load of steaming cow poo!!!!

Many, many brigades have people on their books, as active who they would be lucky to see once a year - why do these people deserve a national medal - they don't, they haven't displayed diligent service, they haven't provided back to the community when the comunity has put in ($$$ for training, equipment, PPE)

I stand (maybe alone) by my convictions - the National medal should be earned, not a medal for every bugga like the volunteer medal was!

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »
I agree with you OZ Fire
we had a ff in the brigade that put in 100% for 13 years and had to leave because of work commitments and the other ff had completed 15 years but went missing for a lot of the time and did bugger all.
so why should the second ff get the National medal

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »
The National Medal is not a service medal - eg you don't get it just because you have been a member for 15 years.  It is a diligent service medal - to be eligible, you need to do a bit more than just turn up occasionally.

The process for nominating a person is not an onerous task - relevant paperwork available from your Regional Office.   :-)

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 10:47:12 AM »
It's all in hand..process under way..

I agree with the diligent part...we have had plenty on our books that have done nothing...they would never qualify..

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 12:33:26 PM »
Sorry still disagree with the automatic after 15 years!

What world are you people living in?????

CFS once stated 18500 fire fighters - with a guess of about 10000 active - that equates to 21 active members per brigade - what a load of steaming cow poo!!!!

Many, many brigades have people on their books, as active who they would be lucky to see once a year - why do these people deserve a national medal - they don't, they haven't displayed diligent service, they haven't provided back to the community when the comunity has put in ($$$ for training, equipment, PPE)

I stand (maybe alone) by my convictions - the National medal should be earned, not a medal for every bugga like the volunteer medal was!

Agreed. But if the person qualifies (time, diligence, etc) then the administration officer should automatically notify the hierarchy (brigade/unit, region or SHQ) and begin the process if approved.

I have just been through the process which was painful. My membership started 1979. I have moved between Units during my time and taken a few years off when I lived interstate. Because of the time span I had to go back to individual Units records which were not stored very well. Thus it took from July to September before verification of volunteer membership could be completed.

I understand that membership records are now kept at SHQ which eases the process, so in future it will be easier.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.