Author Topic: Lightning Strikes 17.10.06  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Lightning Strikes 17.10.06
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:33:38 PM »
It begins.

SHQ: *CFSRES: MT BURR & MILLICENT RESPOND FORREST FIRE, MT BURR. LIGHTING STRIKE... > 17/10/2006 19:00:19

SHQ: CFSRES NARACCORTE & STEWERTS RANGE RESPOND GRASS FIRE FOGARTYS RD, NARACOORTE GR 723088, < 17/10/2006 19:00:17

First round of Lightning strikes this season
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning Strikes 17.10.06
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 08:15:07 PM »
1926358 19:42:27 17-10-06 FYI: NUMEROUS LIGHTNING STRIKES OCCURING ALONG MT LOFTY RANGES - ASH
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
There was lightning every where in the Wattle Range Group at one stage the power went out in Kalangadoo then came back on again followed by a massive clack of thunder

After reeling from being caught on the computer/internet when the power went off and came back on i responded down the fire shed to see if our station siren had gone off because of the power failure but thankfully it didnt  :-D

While responding i was treated to a real good light show by the sheet lightning  :lol: but had to drive carefully as the rain was pouring down

The thing that has got me stumped is why wasnt there a severe thunderstorm broadcasted on our pagers :? im mean sure it was something out of the blue but at least CFS HQ could have given us vollies some warning or a heads up
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:29:38 PM »
SES receive the BoM warnings. No BoM warning were issued other than 'lightening strikes' and 'strong wind warning'.

So you must have been hit be a very local storm cell. At least it was not a damage result like Karoonda.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
SES receive the BoM warnings. No BoM warning were issued other than 'lightening strikes' and 'strong wind warning'.

So you must have been hit be a very local storm cell. At least it was not a damage result like Karoonda.

There was quite a bit of lightning but nothing serious....Rob is just scared of the lightning
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
Kalangadoo was literally bombed by lightning bajdas and at one stage i thought that my pager was gonna off saying something like

SHQ:CFSRES Respond Kalangadoo
           Storm Damage
           CFSRES

But luckily it didnt as no one would have responded in the middle of a lightning storm but me as i was the one who went down and checked to see if the station siren went off

Oh yeah and Camo if im scared of lightning do you think i would have driven down to the fire shed in the middle of the storm  :wink:

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:58:44 PM »
Robert - there was no severe weather warning issued re; the weather, therefore noone would have paged anyone about it  :wink:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:07:59 PM »
You are right medevac there wasnt a severe weather warning issued at all but it would have been good if we were given a heads up though about the lightning :-) cause in the time it moved through the Lower South East before heading over to Victoria between 4-8 fires were started by the lightning mostly spot fires   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 09:29:29 PM »
You're just lucky you got a light show down there! What did we get up here  :? Stuff all.
(dont worry i just love a good lightning show  :-D)
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:27:49 PM »
You're just lucky you got a light show down there! What did we get up here  :? Stuff all.
(dont worry i just love a good lightning show  :-D)

You are right 24P were lucky to have gotten a light show but the bureau should have gotten the forecast right instead of saying isolated thunder they should have said isolated thunderstorms 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 10:00:06 AM »

....but the bureau should have gotten the forecast right instead of saying isolated thunder they should have said isolated thunderstorms 

I attended a seminar last year with SES, where a person from BoM who works in the severe weather section, presented a topic.

One of his major points is that localised severe storm cells can form anywhere and very quickly due to local conditions. But the BoM have limited automatic weather stations around South Australia to detect the localised weather changes.

In the South East you have Cape Jaffa, Coonawarra, Keith, Keith West, Meningie, Mt Gambier, Naracoorte, Padthaway and Robe.

They rely on the new doppler weather radar at Buckland Park which is blocked by the Adelaide Hills for the South East area.

BoM are very careful in issuing a severe weather warning because of the impact on the community (not just emergency services). Too many issued with no impact & people begin to ignore them.

A few SES Units/Regional offices & members have now installed weather recorders which updates a website automatically. For example, look at http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ISOUTHAU17 which is at a members house at Hallett Cove.

Consider the better weather information we would have if CFS/SES/MFS station at strategic locations deployed this type of weather station or a BoM equivalent  :roll:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 12:24:40 PM »
Robert - if a lightning advise was issued you would have done what????

Likewise for a severe weather advise - you would have done what????

You look out the window see severe weather or lightning and you are in a storm ........ end of story ....... it happens!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 07:09:19 AM »
Nice to see that while i was away on holidays that robert has been busy looking for lightning strike's around the DOO...I must have slept through that lighting as I was up at mount lofty....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 08:34:19 AM »
You are right medevac there wasnt a severe weather warning issued at all but it would have been good if we were given a heads up though about the lightning :-) cause in the time it moved through the Lower South East before heading over to Victoria between 4-8 fires were started by the lightning mostly spot fires   

we responded to an MVA the other day.... would have been nice to get a heads up.

:lol:

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 09:33:52 AM »

LMOA
hey you might get another call soon, just giving you the heads up

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 10:02:30 AM »
HMMM i might start heading towards the station then...

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 10:25:49 AM »
GEE i better turn the boat around and head to the shed via the pub :roll:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 03:12:21 PM »
GEE i better turn the boat around and head to the shed via the pub :roll:

Thanks for the headsup Bill drinks at Naracoorte boys :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 11:07:59 PM »

we responded to an MVA the other day.... would have been nice to get a heads up.

Hey medevac get a scanner so you can listen to the emergency traffic before hand and get down the station before the pager goes off  :wink:

:lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade