Author Topic: Use of Firefighters for non fire activities  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Use of Firefighters for non fire activities
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:28:31 AM »
I bring this topic up because the CFS competitions are coming up, and it is being held in my town.

For the competitions the VFBA has asked that our group put forward members for setup, cleanup, gate duties etc etc... and one other job Security of the Goolwa oval on the Saturday night before the comps.

I have no problems with the other jobs because that is helping out, but our brigade is supplying six members for this security job that i feel is something we as volunteers should not be doing. I have put my hand up for this job and i will do it but i think that the VFBA shouldn't be putting members in the position to have to do this.

The problems i have with this is that as CFS we are not trained to do this, we've been told that we can only do it in pairs and no one else can be there, if something happens there is nothing we can do but call the police. Are we covered or insured by the CFS personally and property wise.

One other thing that annoys me and has for a while is that if you or your brigade are "committed" to these activities then you can't attend any calls. I think this rule is one of the most ridiculous things going around, The CFS is and should always be a fire service first, not a traffic control or security "service". Personally if my house was burning or was i involved in a MVA and was told "Oh sorry the nearest fire brigade is an extra 10 minutes away because the local brigade is down the street doing traffic control for the Christmas parade etc" i would be filtered off (sorry thats the best i could come up with :wink:).

I just find it really cheap that they can't even hire a secuirty guard for 12 hours. :?

These are my views and was curious as to what others think. :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

Re: Use of Firefighters for non fire activities
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »
what a joke, shouldn't use fire fighters for that and def not volunteers.....thats pushing the friendship. they shouldn't be so tight. :evil:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:39:51 AM »
cfs vollunteers definitely shouldnt be used for security....

but on the other hand, in this instance i would have thought the group vollunteered to host the competitions, as other groups have done in the past, and these are just the responsibilities that requires...

also, all the things you have stated are thigns brigades do by choice... ive never seen anyone (except possibly at a group level) force a brigade to participate in a christmas pageant or go on a kindy visit etc...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
Definatly don't mind doing those things but being told, if the pager drops too bad you can't go anywhere that scheiße me.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 10:30:53 AM »
It is hard to balance a volunteers operational and training time with the mundane requirements to run a local brigade / unit.

But the best volunteers I work with are the ones who will do the 'extra jobs' like admin, publicity, cleaning, maintenance, patrols at major events, etc, etc. You learn a lot about equipment and people's personalities that help team building by sharing experiences 'off the job'.

But we have always had a minimum crew & a vehicle ready to respond to our response area available at all times. I would hate to think anyone would commit all resources of the Brigade / Unit to a 'non operational' job.

Yes it is hard that volunteers at the 'non operational' task need to stay at that location when an operational job occurs. But that is life sometimes. You do not get on every truck roll.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 10:54:07 AM »
well mate, then i would consider not doing the PR stuff if it greatly affects your responses....

your at Goolwa? if so, you have two trucks... i dont see the issue, surely one can remain available, as can some crew members, to cover your area

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »
if they have the money hire a security firm who have trained licensed members to do the job..

Toast

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:46:02 PM »
When the tour down under came through here, the SES did all the traffic control etc etc, we just stood around, looked awesome and chatted to the grid girls.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:55:24 PM »
We got called to a fairly serious MVA about 10 minutes before they were due to ride in to town a year or two back, us the ambulance and local SAPOL were all forced to pull over and wait for the cyclists to ride past. Good thing a bike race comes before peoples lives. :roll:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 10:58:39 AM »
Any person who for a fee,hire,or reward performs the function of a security officer without a license shall be guilty of an offence.
Security and Private Agents Act

So if you are getting a donation for that work you have committed an offence.

Secondly as per workcover.If you send anyone into a situation they are not trained for and they get injured $70,000 fine :-o

I would be suggesting they organise something as this is not the job of CFS volunteers,and amounts to abuse of volunteers membership to provide security :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 04:27:01 PM »
^^Cheers SAFirey thought it would be something like that...

As for getting a donation, HA that would be the day the CFS hands out something to a brigade without it taking a few years.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 05:19:34 PM »
Itis always  hard to find a group or brigade that is willing to host the comps,so how would people feel if there was some sort of benefit in the form of payment given to the brigade or group that runs the comps each year???

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
also ke4ep in mind ANYONE to acts as a security Guard that is not licenced is guilty of an offence, and could face $10,000 fine and two years jail.

also you said that if anything happened there was nothing you can do well welcome to the world of security officer, i am a licenced security officer and even being licence there is nothing we can do eather  our job is to observe and report.

good luck to all at the comps.
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:04:29 PM »
When they say security that term is used loosely, it can mean just having persons there in uniform overnight as a deterrent. So if any of the local lads were considering ripping the marquees down they would certainly think twice if there were people on site all night.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 12:25:16 AM »
One of the guys helping us is a licensed security guard and suggested not wearing CFS uniform as it might attract undesirables wanting to stir up the brown stuff. Suggested wearing darker clothes and borrow a mag light from the station as persons might think twice if the people look like security??? But could go both ways i suppose :|

Anywho we'll probably end up with half the brigade down there for a midnight BBQ and sports  :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 06:31:03 AM »
Midnight bbq sounds nice as i will be down friday night and staying till Tuesday,,,,,,,

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 04:18:16 PM »
will let you know bill :wink:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 10:38:50 PM »
One of the guys helping us is a licensed security guard and suggested not wearing CFS uniform as it might attract undesirables wanting to stir up the brown stuff. Suggested wearing darker clothes and borrow a mag light from the station as persons might think twice if the people look like security??? But could go both ways i suppose :|

Anywho we'll probably end up with half the brigade down there for a midnight BBQ and sports  :lol:

CFS pyjama party :-D
Images are copyright

PF_

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 12:36:53 AM »

Or just carry halligans and axe's.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 12:53:07 AM »
Sorry officer he fell over right on to that tool that i've never seen before.... :evil:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 09:32:44 AM »
better still turn Goolwa 34 into a water canon  appliances and give it to them when they come into the ground :roll:

Offline fire fighter kiki

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »
 :-)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 02:21:47 PM »
 13:12:01 12-10-06 SHQ: FOR INFO: THE 2006 STATE COMPETITIONS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO THE HIGH FIRE DANGER SITUATION, ANY QUERIES RING ROSEMARY WRIGHTSON ON 8463 4266 < 12/10/2006 13:11:49

Saw this on the pager website. Understandable if true, but it must be disappointing for the organisers that all of the preparation work is not being used.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.