Author Topic: An inconvenient truth  (Read 3529 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
An inconvenient truth
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »
I went and saw this movie the other day, and I would highly recommend it... Its not a happy doco, but I'd never quite fully understood what global warming was about, and how serious it is.

In short, if nothing is changed within 50 years, average temperatures will increase a lot.  This will cause an increase in natural disasters (cyclones, hurricanes, flooding and fire), and will also cause the ice caps to melt, raising the earths sea levels by more than 6 metres (drowning many major coastal cities, and creating millions of refugees)..

Not to mention all the extinct species, increase in disease and other such death chaos and destruction...

Has anyone else seen it?

Manuel

Re: An inconvenient truth
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:16:55 PM »
one of the best docos i have seen, after "the corpration," but the same thing happened, i want to do something but i feel like i cant.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »
Whinge!  You should be good at that by now... :P

On a more serious note, why isn't our government doing something?  It isn't like they haven't been given ample opportunity.... :(

PF_

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:23:02 PM »
I heard greenhouse gas emmisions have reduced

Manuel

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:52:13 PM »
from maybe last month because it is warm weather, but what a stupid and general rumor that is...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 10:50:34 PM »
I heard that "rumour" too, but my interpretation was that emissions have been reduced in some countries, and it wasn't the total emissions that were reduced, but the rate of increase...  

Meaning that although the total amount of greenhouse gas emissions is still rising, the rate at which its rising has slowed...

We also have to worry about China getting over excited about fossil fuels and pumping out their fair share of gasses...

Manuel

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:54:05 PM »
umm, yea that is what the Kyoto protocol was for, but three countries did not sign it, Australia, China, and the US.

and it is the hole in the Ozone layer that is getting smaller.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:00:21 PM by CFS_firey »

probie_boy

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »
I heard that "rumour" too, but my interpretation was that emissions have been reduced in some countries, and it wasn't the total emissions that were reduced, but the rate of increase...  

Meaning that although the total amount of greenhouse gas emissions is still rising, the rate at which its rising has slowed...

We also have to worry about China getting over excited about fossil fuels and pumping out their fair share of gasses...

the whole of asia is atrocious in regards to emissions. billions of little putt putt motorbikes and rickshaws, doin wonders there!

anything