Author Topic: SES familiarisation thread  (Read 133234 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SES familiarisation thread
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2007, 05:49:08 PM »
The other night i came across a road that the SES had closed as there was a tree down. the member controlling traffic was only wearing the orange overalls and had no traffic vest on. as we have to wear one in CFS isn't this the same in SES?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
The law for anyone working on a road, Hi visibility clothing or vests that meet Aus standards must be worn.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »
Except if the road is closed, then no requirement to wear vest.....however, if you are the one closing the road, you need one!!

There is some info in the latest SPO's / COSO's in relation to this, which details the situations where you don't have to wear a vest.

However, the situation outlined here wouldn't be one of them!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline squiddy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2007, 05:36:54 AM »
New SES overalls and 2-piece PPE meet Australian standards for road visibility so a vest does not have to be worn... otherwise every single RCR unit would need to put their members in vests for RCR jobs, which would just be unsafe as the vests can catch on everything.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2007, 11:17:34 AM »
Most fire services still wear hi-vis traffic vests while undertaking rescue operations.. Well.. Having them on when arriving at a job, I have never seen an operator take one off to commence a rescue.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2007, 12:10:58 AM »
hay
 i have only read the first page so i am sorry if i am repeating someone else

I'm in the ses at kapunda we have only 4 minutes to notify mfs comcen that we will be responding then we have another 6mins to be out the door this only applies to RCR any page we receive we have 4 mins to reply to storm damage we have extra time to get gear together and stuff like that if its a land search then we can take an hour to be out the door by the time we organise crews logistics etc etc

at kapunda we have four main responsibility's which are

Road Crash Rescue
Land Search Operations
Mounted Search team (horse and quadbike)
Storm damage

most of our calls come from RCR related jobs 

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2007, 12:24:09 AM »
i can tell you what kapunda unit has in the way of vicheals

we have

231- primary response for RCR
     only has has RCR gear with some storm damage gear built on an isusu 550 base

233- Primary response for Storm damage
     fitted with al the tools a man could want or need plus plastic, sandbags, built on an isusu 500 base

235- Command car
     carrys all incident control equipment, computer, printer, maps,
     toyota landcruiser

flaot 1 horse floats carry three horses per float
float 2

lighting plant- built on a tralier for land search at night for lighting at forward command

Quad 1
Quad 2 quadbikes for land search

multi tralier used for all sorts carring flood gear or generator

bike traler large tandam traler built for the mounted team to transport the quads

sorry for the spelling mistakes

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
i can tell you what kapunda unit has in the way of vicheals

we have.....

Welcome.... I thought Kapunda had a F250 to tow the horse floats. I know this was expensive on fuel to run.

What do you use now to tow the horse floats now ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »

What extra RCR gear do you carry on here (Other than the standard stowage)? eg. Air bags,spinal boards & first aid, air tools etc?

Offline piriejono

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »
Kapundas f250 came to Port Pirie last year and that has now gone on to leigh creek ses.

Jono SES Pirie
Jonathon Taylor
Pt Pirie SES
DUM North Operational Co-Ordanation Unit
Port Pirie SA

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »

What extra RCR gear do you carry on here (Other than the standard stowage)? eg. Air bags,spinal boards & first aid, air tools etc?

Combi Tool and a Ram... its RCR gear! ;)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »
we have reciprosaws mutliple rams stabaliser bars some new thing from germany for cars no there side or roof medical equipment etc etc

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »
as you can see in the pic 231 and 233 are used now and the crusier tows the bikes unfortunitly we dont have enough trucks anymore since the bus was taken away and the f250 so we can always take both floats which means that at times some of the hourse team has to stay home or the bikes dont go.

did anybody go to the search at neals flat eudunda on wedensday??????

Offline squiddy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
we have reciprosaws mutliple rams stabaliser bars some new thing from germany for cars no there side or roof medical equipment etc etc

I take it you were talking about the StabFast when you mentioned the thing from Germany? Nice piece of equipment.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »
yeah thats it i can never remember what its called but its very good havent had to use it yet at a job but have used it in training alot

uniden

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »
What or who were they looking for at Neales Flat the other day? Did they find them/it?

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »
i cant tell you what we were looking for but we did find it well norlunga did
there was kapunda norlunga enfild metro south, tea tree gully, dog unit if i missed anybody im sorry

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »
They were searching for a missing person - car left by the side of the road, and a suicide note in the car.

Body located later that day, somewhere in the vicinity of the car.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »
pipster

how did you find that out?? and i didnt think emergency services should put information like that on the net or even in a chat with friends you dont know who could be reading things like this for all we know somebody related to the person could be a member.

rescue5271

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:19 PM »
You need to make sure that it has the new stripping on PPE/PPC which is in 3 sections otherwise you must wear a vest.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2007, 09:20:53 PM »
but isnt still night work on a road where a hivis vest?????

uniden

« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »
i cant tell you what we were looking for but we did find it well norlunga did
there was kapunda norlunga enfild metro south, tea tree gully, dog unit if i missed anybody im sorry

Whats the big secret ?? This information was probably broadcast over the scanner somewhere along the line.

They were searching for a missing person - car left by the side of the road, and a suicide note in the car.

Body located later that day, somewhere in the vicinity of the car.

Pip
pipster

how did you find that out?? and i didnt think emergency services should put information like that on the net or even in a chat with friends you dont know who could be reading things like this for all we know somebody related to the person could be a member.
Dont see the big issue here. No mention was made of the persons name or injuries found etc.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2007, 10:51:09 PM »
no issue 8-)

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »
at no time on the raido was it stated that we were looking for a body.
how would you feel if we were called to look for one of your family or friends who was missing and we found them dead. and then somebody posted it on here

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »
Just stating the basic facts of the case.  I was busy dealing with the other end of that job, so I know a fair bit about it - a lot more than I posted - and info which I will not be posting either.

The friends of the victim were well aware of the circumstances of this case, long before the body was located...and I doubt highly if they would be sitting down reading through this site a few days after the case.

Pip

PS Don't assume that all knowledge re this case has come from a scanner or pager site - emergency services volunteers, by their nature, work in a diverse range of areas, and are hence privy to much information officially though their paid work