Author Topic: SES familiarisation thread  (Read 133246 times)

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: SES familiarisation thread
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »
You know I did infact read that post first.. geez Im going back to bed.. :oops:
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
Its alright mate - we understand :-D
For those of you who are SES members & are on this forum, what happened to SAFIREY should not have happened. Yes there are always reasons (excuses :wink:).
If we want to be treated as equals by the other services then need to be professional.
That means as individuals, teams, units, regions or as an organisation!
It doesn't take much to take someone aside and explain the situation, follow up shortages of equipment, issue certificates or if someone doesn't fit explain to them why and wish them the best (not saying that applied in this case :-D). After all we are volunteers that are prepared to give up a lot for little reward, so it is the least we can do!
Now I don't know the full story behind this particular incident e.g sharing pagers?
But now a whole heap of people have a perception of our service which is to say the least not flattering. Sadly this is not the first time I have heard of this type of stuff  happening, so we need to improve or people will stop volunteering!
So the next time something doesn't feel right asked the question, talk to unit management or what ever. In other words do something! after all people are our most valuable asset. Here endth the lesson :-D
cheers
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:54:07 PM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Ashes

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
Sorry to add to an old thread, but am doing some study on SES Units and would like to get some basic info.
What is the Unit building called, ie shed, building or station etc, and how does the vehicle numbering go, where the vehicle has a two digit number but the callsign is three.
Thanks in advance.

Ashes

Offline USAR123

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »
Sorry to add to an old thread, but am doing some study on SES Units and would like to get some basic info.
What is the Unit building called, ie shed, building or station etc, and how does the vehicle numbering go, where the vehicle has a two digit number but the callsign is three.
Thanks in advance.

Ashes

I don't know what other SES units call their buildings but we call ours either unit, HQ or LHQ.

The 2 digit number relates to the type and number of the vehicle. Similar rip off from the CFS and MFS.

4 = 4x4 1 = vehicle number in the unit
3 = Truck 1 = vehicle number in the unit
91 = The SES hook lift
61 = The flat bed truck?

hope this helps a bit

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »
Thanks in advance.

Ashes

The Unit buildings make up a 'Local Headquarters' (LHQ) for a Unit. Same naming since Civil Defence days.

Then have four 'Regional Headquarters' (RHQ), but multiple 'Regional Control Centres' (RCC).

One 'State Headquarters' (SHQ) and one 'State Control Centre' (SCC). Both currently in Waymouth Street. The 'State Communications Centre' is currently in Wakefield Street.

I will look up my Comms documentation for the exact SA SES vehicle numbering details. If any different from below, I will correct this posting.

But from memory:

* first number designates vehicle type.
    2 = two wheel drive (eg car, dog transport, etc)
    3 = salvage/general rescue truck
    4 = four wheel drive (eg light rescue)
    6 = special truck (eg Field Command bus, flat bed truck, hook lift, cherry picker, etc)
    9 = Road Crash Rescue (matches MFS coding)

* second number designates number of vehicle in Unit fleet. For example the second 4wd in Enfield SES is ENF 42

I believe this was developed after Virginia floods when management could not tell from radio callsigns, what type of vehicle was responding and thus its capability.

Difficult to load sandbags from a vehicle setup for Road Crash or go to a flooded area in a Commodore.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:07:11 AM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline HeavyRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »
Sorry for bringing up an old thread.
But I would like to know what the codes mean at the end of a pager message for SES.
Eg. MRB20 H SNOTIFY E / NOA20 M SNOTIFY C / OLO20 B SNOTIFY C.
I understand the unit code (murray bridge / noarlunga etc) but what are the H Snotify C things?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
Part left over of the old Regions. This has now changed recently to two Regions & 10 Divisions that paid staff work in now. ut pager codes have not been updated to reflect this, but I think it does not really matter.

Each pager message is duplicated to paid regional staff on duty. This enables them to keep track of Unit workloads and any taskings that require more assistance.

I believe:
SNOTIFY C = State Notify Central region
SNOTIFY E = State Notify East region

Certain taskings (eg Marine Rescue) also automatically page the paid State Duty Officer as well as the regional.

Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline HeavyRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
thanks for that. but what about the letters at the end of the vehicle codes?
eg. WAD20 Z  /  EAS20 U  /  TTG20 S  ??

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
To be able to stack their jobs SES wanted multiple resources per unit in SACAD.  26 letters in the alphabet, so 27 unit resources (one without a letter).

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
To be able to stack their jobs SES wanted multiple resources per unit in SACAD.  26 letters in the alphabet, so 27 unit resources (one without a letter).

So for WAD20 Z, would that mean there are 27 stacked jobs, or would that just be the 27th job that day?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2012, 02:12:20 AM »

So for WAD20 Z, would that mean there are 27 stacked jobs, or would that just be the 27th job that day?

No. Doesn't necessarily mean either as they don't generally go out in alphabetic order.

One is picked by the system, i was told some time back of a 'time-breaker' rule, which chose whichever appropriate resource had been available in that zone and in an available status the longest.

You may notice in CFS land at any CFS station with two or more appliances of the same type & attributes they will get differant appliances for the same type of job from time to time; ie a rubbish/waste event in Coromandel Valley may get their 24 one day and their 24P the next, as they are both HTs with the same attributes in the same zone when K5. It will pick whichever resource has been K5 the longest.

I hope this helps.

Offline NicholasBerry

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2013, 03:19:14 AM »
In regards to what units do... Noarlunga SES also does USAR and Swiftwater Rescue

In regards to vehicles:
Noarlunga also have 5 Vehicles:
- Noarlunga 31 (Isuzu 550 FFS Crew) Used for flood and Storm
- Noarlunga 32 (Isuzu 550 FSS Crew) Used for USAR and building impacts
- Noarlunga 41 (Nissan Navara) Used as a general rescue 4wd
- Noarlunga 42 (Toyota Landcruiser)Used as a vertical rescue 4wd
- Noarlunga 43 (Ford F250)Used for towing USAR Trailer

We have 6 trailers
- USAR
- BA
- Swiftwater
- Lighting