Author Topic: Mount lofty house  (Read 17449 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mount lofty house
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »
OK
it is Saturday afternoon about 1500 and a fire had started at on the third floor of mount lofty house. Who do you respond and how do you go about putting the fire out? it is completely up to you.
The wind is blowing smoke away from the road to wards Crafers and each CFS crew you call can only have 3 BA operators.

I will voice my strategies after I hear some of yours

PF_

Re: Mount lofty house
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »
need more details such as fire condition, how strong it is. 

Manuel

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:26:49 PM »
look at a normal hypothetical for example

PF_

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:33:37 PM »
every fire is different, firefighter of the year should know that.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:54:21 PM »
Stirling and Aldgate will get responded as they monitor the fixed alarm. As this is hypothetical, they all get massive crews, and Stirling responds their Pumper, 12 and Tanker. Aldgate responds their 12 and 24P.
First arriving appliance is Stirling pumper; They get 2 members in BA and enter the building as Aldgate 12 arrives. 
Mt Lofty house has no in-building hydrant system, so the crews will have to take hose in with them.  I'm going to make the fire small, so the crews take in a 25mm hose. (The stairs are narrow and very winding, I'd hate to take a 38 up them).
Crews extinguish the fire, and with the assistance of some extra BA teams, they clean up and vent the place!
:)

Toast

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 06:58:50 PM »
Stirling and Aldgate are responded automagically, with Stirling Pumper and 12 first in, followed by Aldgate 12 and 24P. 64mm Hose to the door, multiple lengths of 38mm in, assuming that the job is on the top level of the accomodation wings. 2x BA from Pumper and 2x from 12 are first in, provide inital knockdown of the fire. If required the 4xBA from Aldgate can bring in a second line.

If the shite hits the fan, then Upper Sturt and Bridgewater will be turned out.

(is it cheating that I have the floor plans in my car?)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 06:59:49 PM »
I wanted to give more freedom but ok

The fire is on the top (third floor) started in a room from a heater the occupants opened there room and a large backdraft? Caused the fire to spread over half the floor. The emergency stairs door has failed and burning martial has fallen down to the second floor.
Buy the time any appliance gats there the roof is on fire.

I am not to sure of the layout so forgive incorrect interior description.

yes it is cheating

oh and each brigade can only turn out one appliance
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:04:44 PM by bittenyakka »

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »
My 25mm hose might not be enough for that scenario..... ;)

When you say 3 BA crew, do you mean only 3 crew, or only 3 BA?

Toast

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »
Well, while CFS_Firey is pissing into the wind with his 25mm, the rest of us will have a three line interior attack ( 2x on the 3rd storey 1x on the 2nd). Upper Sturt and Bridgewater turned out, maaaaybe Piccadilly.

If this doesnt work, then interior crews retreat to interior defensive, with Stirling Pumper using its monitor to wet the roof/rooms.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 07:11:18 PM »
3 BA opperators per appliance

Would't Summertown beat Bridgewater

maaaaybe Piccadilly.

Why maaaayby UBS makes them closer than everyone?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
If this doesnt work, then interior crews retreat to interior defensive, with Stirling Pumper using its monitor to wet the roof/rooms.

Respond Bradbury as well if you want to use the monitor (For tanker that is).
What does the 2nd story attack line do?  Watch TV?

PF_

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 07:16:11 PM »
call in waterbombers to dump a few loads over the house, that will do the job meanwhile CFS people stay nice and dry inside the appliance with the penis I mean monitor taking out a few spottis on the ground.

Toast

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 07:20:49 PM »
3 BA opperators per appliance

Would't Summertown beat Bridgewater

maaaaybe Piccadilly.

Why maaaayby UBS makes them closer than everyone?

Because of the response plan! But Stirling and Aldgate are automatically paged upon alarm activation (as of tomorrow!)

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 08:38:22 PM »
as it's mount lofty the bombers whould be automatic  responce if its in summer...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:23:17 PM »
Blinky, water bombers are only automatically responded to rural jobs...

*(Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic so thought I'd better clear it up)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »
Blinky, water bombers are only automatically responded to rural jobs...

*(Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic so thought I'd better clear it up)

How did the call originate...if it came as a fixed alarm (which seems to happen regularly) then bombers wouldn't be dispatched. 

BUT perhaps smoke from the fire has been spotted from the Mt Lofty Tower, or a keen eyed CFS member driving through the Piccadilly valley spotted smoke, and reported it as such.  Then the bombers would be on auto dispatch...... so Blinky's suggestion is not as silly as you make it out to be...   :lol:

Besides, the place has just been sold, so it will probably be in refurb mode, and no guests to be seen!!    :lol:
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 11:08:09 PM »
Well if there is no guests why not surround and drown? it would mean not risking CFS members lives.

now you have the proper scenario what do you think?

Toast

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 12:09:22 AM »
We'll get the fixed alarm activate, and hopefully a 000 call. Why surround and drown when you can save property? It may wel get to a point where we have to, but I'd rather a shot at knocking it down first. If the occupants opened the door to their room and it backdrafted then you're going to have atleast two rather badly injured people. This would also suggest that the rest of the hotel was occupied.

The second attack line is in due to there being multiple rooms, multiple entrances and multiple exposures in the 3 storey block.

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 06:37:04 AM »
Gives the bombers somthing to do and where there is smoke there is fire..... :lol:

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 01:10:43 PM »
Is there Water up there?

If there is I would respond Stirling pumper, Aldgate 24p, due to the low crew avalible Summertown 34 & Piccadilly 24. if it is populated mabey consider asking for a MFS latter to be sent up. 2x64mm to ground floor so 4x33mm into the building (if enough BA operaters are willing) use 2x38 to attack the top floor fire and 1 to cover a rescue team while the last prevents spreading on the 2nd floor. due to the lack of avalible BA opperaters 12 I might call Upper Sturt and Bridgewater to respond.

Toast

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
Don't forget that its a saturay afternoon, so both Stirling and Aldgate will be able to get two appliances out the door. Also Aldgates 12 is their Urban appliance  :wink:

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 01:23:50 PM »
Is the fire going well inside the building, or is it confined to one floor or one room....?   If still contained within an area, surely attack using Compartment Fire fighting techniques would be better.  I don't think the new owners would be too impressed that their new acquisition has
$200,000 fire damage, and $300,000 smoke & water damage.....

While not that familiar with the fire fighting resources based at Mt Lofty House, I would imagine that it has a large water, storage tank somewhere....it may even have an internal sprinkler system, or hydrant system.......can anyone clarify if that is the case, or otherwise....?

And remember - the state's firefighting resources do not end at Mt Lofty Group..   :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »
dunno about supression systems, but CFS_Firey stated there was no hydrant system

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »
That's right medevac  No mains water, no booster system. They have large tanks attached to hydrants outside, but those tanks run the whole place, they aren't reserved for fire (hence they may not be full).

Pipster - bittenyakka said the roof was on fire, so I'm assuming he means the fire has broken through the roof (So no compartment techniques)

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 02:23:02 PM »

as pip said, I'd have a few East Torrens brigades as well, plus if no mains water, definitely lofty tanker as well as stirlings (it's bigger and 2 tankers means 1 can go and refill).

anything