Author Topic: Mobile phones and radios in trucks  (Read 11257 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile phones and radios in trucks
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »
CFS used to use HF radios only back in the old days and the appliances had filtered huge aerials on them. On of the drawbacks was that the radios struggled to get decent signals on hot/dusty/smoky days making them a bit useless for the CFS.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »
Not necessary for every appliance etc just the areas with no mobile coverage.

The cost would be worth it if it saved one life in an emergency

CFS is still listed in the 4WD Directory as monitoring by selcall :wink: 

Is anyone aware of their s'call I.D number?

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »
Our group have GRN, VHF, UHF  and we are still looking for a better radio to work in part of our Group.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 09:33:47 AM »
Buy some homing pigeons :lol:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »
So when we are at a fire, we can get our message from the base, AND a hot lunch!!   :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 11:50:06 AM »
It would be nice that the group base could have VHF radio access to appliances on the fireground, when GRN goes down and also if we had better mobile phone coverage along the sa/vic border..
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
Why not bring back HF Radio as a backup for when the GRN goes down as it can be very handy now due to some of the sets being quite easy to install in stations and appliances although there is that 100 bucks a year for licensing

But still its the thought that counts right  :-D   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »
HF aren't that great when trying to talk to someone close by.....

If we installed an HF set in each appliance (around 700, including command vehicles), each station (around 434) and in each Group base no attached to a station (around 10), and pay a licence fee of $100 per radio, we are looking at $114,500 per year.

Add on to that, the cost of purchasing each set (and they aren't cheap) PLUS training every member in the use of the set, it becomes a very expensive exercise.

And where on earth do we put ANOTHER radio in the command car!   :?

And we have installed at least 1 GRN radio into every appliance & station already... and I assume we pay a few for each one of those......

I don't think adding yet another radio system is the answer to our radio problems / perceived radio problems....perhaps upgrading the one we have might be good...but that is another story   :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 05:54:28 PM »
I didnt have any training at all on how to use the HF during my short time with the Wattle Range SES Communications crew they just left me to work it out on my own  :-D and surely enough i did  :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 09:07:21 PM »
I didnt have any training at all on how to use the HF during my short time with the Wattle Range SES Communications crew they just left me to work it out on my own  :-D and surely enough i did  :wink:

Thats what Comms Officers are for, to train members in the effective use of the services communication systems :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 09:13:43 PM »
I didnt have any training safirey they just let me go on my own accord cause i had experience with 27 MHz HF CB's and surely enough this helped me become a pro at HF operations instantly  :-D although i had to get settled into my role     
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2006, 10:02:08 PM »

I don't think adding yet another radio system is the answer to our radio problems / perceived radio problems....perhaps upgrading the one we have might be good...but that is another story   :evil:

Pip

I agree with you Pip and maybe they should address these GRN blackspots....SOONER rather than LATER :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2006, 10:05:16 PM »
It's funny SAAS ansd SaPol can get excellent reception in area's we get none is this because they have boosters?? And if they do why wouldn't it work for CFS
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2006, 10:13:23 PM »
It's funny SAAS ansd SaPol can get excellent reception in area's we get none is this because they have boosters?? And if they do why wouldn't it work for CFS

Its to do with the digital encryption and the power of the radios.

SAPOL use Motorola Spectra which are 110 watt sets compared to our GRN which is only 25 watts,however are not infallable they do have their deadspots which is why all the country cars are fitted with HF radios :-D

SAAS have now fitted Satphones to their ambulances and use CUG(Closed User Groups North and South)

Oh well CFS will get it right one day...main problem on Ash Wednesaday was communications and it still is :roll:
Images are copyright