Author Topic: Naracoorte Training Centre  (Read 6720 times)

Timbo

Naracoorte Training Centre
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:08:15 PM »
Hi peoples,
anyone out there with info/pics/discussion about Naracoorte Traing Centre (ie BA Smoke house & Facilities).??  I'd like to know more about it - how it is used etc.  Some pics would be excellent, thanks, MrT

Manuel

Re: Naracoorte Training Centre
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 03:09:12 PM »
go ahead blinky :-)...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:53:14 PM »
While were waiting for Blinky to get some pics of the Naracoorte training centre I'll explain to MR T about some of the facilities they have

Naracoorte Training Centre is where they do nearly all of the practical exercises associated with CFS level 3 its kinda like what Brakunga Training Centre has but in a different setup

When i did hot pad training a few years ago we had to deal with gas fires which was basically a gas bottle or tank with gas leaking of fuel underneath of it lit up and the aim was to cool the bottle or tank so it didnt overheat or put out the fire

There are other scenarios such as running fuel fires and a car fire scenario which has an LPG gas tank it that you need to either isolate or contain the fire im not real sure as i never got to that stage

Its a mini Brakunga but in a much larger area as most of the scenarios are spread out across the centre thats about all i can tell you hopefully Blinky can explain it in a bit more detail 

Kalangadoo Brigade

Toast

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
Sounds like a top place. It'd be great to have a few more Brukunga like places around, with different training scenarios.

Timbo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »

Its a mini Brakunga but in a much larger area as most of the scenarios are spread out across the centre thats about all i can tell you hopefully Blinky can explain it in a bit more detail 

Cool, how big is the space, I'd estimate Brukunga as 400m x 1000m, how does it compare to that?

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:14:41 PM »
Here is a pic of the bullet
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »
Here is the car fire
Compton CFS Website

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:19:14 PM »
Here is the running fuel fire
Compton CFS Website

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »
I'm quite impressed.

Timbo

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
go ahead blinky :-)...

Blinky? - R U There, I'd love to hear more about this site

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »
The region 5 TC,is by far the best training center outside of STC it can caterer to all your firefighting/hazmat/caba/RCR and any other course that is on offer at STC. There is a portable classroom that is fully aircon,full kitchen,classroom has been used in the past day(today) for a GPS course and I would say that they had a good feed from the Naracoorte brigade auxiliary... I can tell you you dont go hungry down here.... The center is run by staff from region 5 but is fully supported by a well group of Volunteers from with in the region from (wattle range,mount,Naracoorte,robe,tatiara group's) who are all trained in the courses that are on offer.. There are photos on the VFBA promo site but I shall try and get some this week..

Anything else MR T???? by the way the region is still looking for a new training officer if you would like to apply???

Timbo

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:08:53 PM »
No thanks - I thought Clarissa was considering it though.  I dont need a new job - just got one, might just come down and have a look sometime soon - occasional visits to Naracoorte is part of the job.

I will head to VFBA and check out the pics.

Does the site get used much/often?? - how big (space) is it.  is it well maintained

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
The site does get used alot,was used during the week for a gps course,will be used next weekend(13/14/15) for CABA course will be used on 22nd for a hot pad training day. as for size not sure but at a guess 5 acres give or take. Am sure teh staff would show you around it one day when you are down...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »
Would be nice to se similar facilities in Regions 3, 4 & 6 and probally the top of 2 :-)

With the increasing outside preasure on volunteers (work, family, social etc) traveling to Adelaide is becoming harder for some due to time constraints - maybe CFS could adopt a simialr model elsewhere - maybe though on a smaller scale - i.e. for the regular incident attended - BA, small LPG & car fire, RCR and alike - leave the larger scale for Brukunga!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »
The site does get used alot,was used during the week for a gps course,will be used next weekend(13/14/15) for CABA course will be used on 22nd for a hot pad training day. as for size not sure but at a guess 5 acres give or take. Am sure teh staff would show you around it one day when you are down...

What a bummer i cant attend the hot pad training day  :-( as its on the 22nd which is the very same day as SEAC's Autocross is being held @ SEAC park and yours truly  :wink: will be providing fire cover if they need it since i've got that CAMS Officials Licence  :-D

Trust me hot pad training is real fun and good hands on experience for all of those who are looking for some extra experience or just want to broaden their training horizons   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:00:40 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 09:52:54 AM »
The hot pad training on the 22nd as far as i am aware is an offensive hot pad workshop for BA Operators.
Compton CFS Website

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »
It would be good to see a couple of new regional training centre's around the place region 4 and may be top of region 2 but would the government come to the party with funding???. Yes it would reduce the amount of time volunteers and instructors spend getting to a center but we would need to make sure that it would get used. I would like to see the MFS use the Naracoorte site rather than ship their members of to Adelaide.

I know that it took a lot of hard work by local Volunteers to get the region 5 TC up and running and if it was not for there work and those staff members that where involved it would never have come about...
blinky bill
my view only

Timbo

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 03:32:23 PM »
I would like to see the MFS use the Naracoorte site rather than ship their members of to Adelaide.

Do MFS know the site is available, and is it 'up to' MFS training (ie no compartment?)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:47:10 PM by MrT »

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
MFS are well aware of the site and I am sure the out going regional training officer did his best to let them know it was here,THE CFA along the border would also like to use it rather than send there members 2.5 hours down the road on a bus when they can drive for 20-30 mins to the Naracoorte site.....
blinky bill
my view only

Timbo

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »
Any idea why CFA do not use it Blinky? - sounds like a lot smarter option for them.  Also, what involvement do you have there - do you train voli's??

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 07:35:37 PM »
My wife spends more time there than me as she is part of the catering team,I have never been asked to help in Training out there other than when there was a BB1 course.They have a good bunch of both volunteer and staff training officers,as for teh CFA well that needs to be looked into and I am sure that if we could work it and then the site would get used alot more than it does now....
blinky bill
my view only