Author Topic: Fire bombers  (Read 15423 times)

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Fire bombers
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 02:07:31 AM »
I was reading the Advertiser editorials/talk back page yesterday and there was a reader who posted a talk bac article in there about South Australia being able to afford a Elvis

Article from yesterdays paper

State Can afford an Elvis

So the State Government is too stingy to purchase an Elvis helicopter?  ("Elvis will help concedes CFS",The Advertiser,yesterday).

Considering the millions raked that it has raked in from the emergency services levy,there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to have brought several helicopters

If the State Government does not want to spend the emergency services levy on emergency services,maybe it is time for the levy to end.

Anyone else agree with what this person is saying   :?   

This person has no idea about the levy, and nor do you by the looks of it. The ESL goes to fund the MFS, CFS, SES , Surf Life Saving, Vol. Marine rescue etc. Its all very well and good to say but the ESL can be used to buy BIG helicopters! But think of all the thing on which it already being spent, PPE, training, stations, appliances etc etc.

Plus, we don't need the big helicopters...

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 07:46:57 AM »
I think you may see a drop in the use of bombers in some areas over the next few years due to the area not having any water and the time it takes to bring water into areas for use by the bombers will mean that a good running fire will turn into a better running fire... May have to use more mixing plants......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 09:05:26 AM »
Speaking of bombers I wish the media would stop talking to the crop duster idiot from the West Coast who bags the CFS everytime there is a fire there. He is not a nominated contractor to the CFS and likes to sh**can them . He did it the other day and he did it last year after the Black Tuesday fires cos no one called him. I know his name but wont mention it here.

Be careful ath...the media love to also misquote him..don't get me wrong, he should learn to shut his mouth and not speak to them...but for your info...he does have a "call when required" agreement...there is much more to this story than it appears...he is also a CFS member and contributes the use of his planes at no cost OFTEN...you have got to love the media..  :wink:

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 10:24:51 PM »
Does anyone have a list of what Bombers the CFS has hired for this season, where they will be stationed and what capacity specs they have?

Are there any new, bigger, better, faster ones?

1922914 17:24:07 24-10-06 SHQ: BOMBERS 581, 582 AND ALL SE AIR CREW CAN STAND DOWN. FROM R5 COMMANDER..

Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 10:49:53 PM »
i dont think the contracts have begun yet, although there have been a combination of koalas, 502s and 802s being used lately

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »
I would prefer to have 5 bombers and the state covered than share 1 Elvis between us all...on a bad day, we might start with 2 bombers on EP and then if there's a problem somewhere else and we have a change thru..they can then respond elsewhere..

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »
We had a bomber sitting in Naracoorte late afternoon on Tuesday(24/10) have not seen that in a while....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 03:05:42 PM »
I would prefer to have 5 bombers and the state covered than share 1 Elvis between us all...on a bad day, we might start with 2 bombers on EP and then if there's a problem somewhere else and we have a change thru..they can then respond elsewhere..

This is true....but in the case of where we need more bombers for some reason (campaign fires etc) we have access to the skycranes under the Federal Government Aviation Fire Bombing scheme or what ever it is called.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 08:10:43 PM »
If i flew cropdusters for a living i'd certainly wouldnt bag the CFS for failing to page me to every big fire as i would be putting my name down for the bombing contract well before the fire season even starts   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:02 AM »
If i flew cropdusters for a living i'd certainly wouldnt bag the CFS for failing to page me to every big fire as i would be putting my name down for the bombing contract well before the fire season even starts   
One lonley crop duster would not even scratch the surface of the CFS contract.

Need to bear in mind that the agricultural aircraft that CFS use, are converted during summer, specifically for fire fighting operations - the sprays are removed and special computer controlled bomber doors fitted - most ag sprayers don't have these, not the money to invest in them.

I say congrats to our bomber pilots and to AMR (the contractor) for the excellent work they have done and do for us and the state - they do things and go places that most pilots would never dream of doing and they are committed to helping us and making our lives easier - not just geting good $$$$$
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 10:02:43 AM »

As I said to Ath's comments...there is a whole lot more to the situation than you know...and the media are to blame for the misconceptions...there are insurance issues etc...it's not that simple...and AMR have a very strong hold over the contracts...

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 01:50:03 PM »
You have to love the media they only like to home in on one thing you say or do with out report the whole story....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 02:44:36 PM »

As I said to Ath's comments...there is a whole lot more to the situation than you know...and the media are to blame for the misconceptions...there are insurance issues etc...it's not that simple...and AMR have a very strong hold over the contracts...
[/quote]

Not sure if AMR have a strong hold - but rather that AMR are the only provider that can meet the contract requirements - big difference. Plus AMR have committed HUGE $$$$ to their equipment and aircraft, to meet the CFS contract requirements, from which we all benefit
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 02:50:59 PM »
Heres a news article i found while looking on the Yahoo7 homepage today

Elvis helicopter in Sydney on Sunday

Elvis the fire bombing helicopter will arrive in Australia on Sunday and this time he is bringing a mate.

Shania will arrive in Sydney on Sunday alongside Elvis - the helicopters are being brought to Australia aboard a Russian Antonov air freighter.

The two key tools in this summer's fight against bushfires will be given a quick check over once they arrive before flying directly to their bases in Sydney and Melbourne.

Local Government Minister Jim Lloyd said in a statement he was sure all Australians would welcome the extra protection the aircraft would provide to communities.

"Part of the Australian government's funding package for aerial firefighting is being used to assist the states and territories with the high costs of having such effective heavy aircraft in Australia during this summer," Mr Lloyd said

Too bad Elvis the fire bombing helicopter didnt bring a 3rd mate along so it could be based in Adelaide :-D  
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
Elvis, Shania???

Maybe Adelaide will get Budgie the little helicopter.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »
Robert:wake up  air supportr may help with fire suppression but ground crews still put the fire out and tell me where would we fill it up as there is not much water around.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2006, 04:09:52 PM »
Wouldnt mind seeing a picture of that air freighter, it must be filtered huge.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2006, 04:29:52 PM »
You are right blinky we dont have much water around to support one of those giants :wink: but arent they designed to use sea water as well  :?

Ryan it sounds like you have too much spare time and watch Budgie The Little Helicopter on ABC  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2006, 04:31:48 PM »
The other major consideration we have here in SA is money......

Some recent figures being bandied around put the price of actually getting one of the aircranes based here (presumably for the fire season) is around $2.5 milllion.  Then you have to run the thing - at a cost of $11,000 per hour.

Bearing in mind, the whole Aerial fire fighting budget for the CFS, for the whole year is $2.5 million.... which option are you going to choose?

Both NSW & Victoria have much higher populations, and as a state, a much bigger budget to spend...

We may all ask "what price a life?' but the reality is the CFS (and the state) only have a certain amount of money to go round.....

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »
Just base it at Goolwa and see how fast we can drain the Murray :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »
Now where could be put it at GOOLWA?????? I know that satelite station I was talking about :mrgreen:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2006, 01:56:14 PM »
At the Airport, or just keep it on the oval i know how much the community sporting clubs like the rescue choppers landing there
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »
Or even better base it at the RAAF airport  :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2006, 04:53:46 AM »
Robert:wake up  air supportr may help with fire suppression but ground crews still put the fire out and tell me where would we fill it up as there is not much water around.....

Blue Lake :-P
Images are copyright