Author Topic: Operation Easter Brake  (Read 4036 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Operation Easter Brake
« on: March 25, 2005, 02:10:04 PM »
On thursday 24th March, The Stirling CFS took part in "Operation Easter Brake", a Road crash Rescue simulation that was put on for yr12 students from Heathfiled High school, Pembroke School, and Oakbank Area school...
It was basically a bad crash scenario - head on with drunk driver, Fatality and critically injured persons...
The excersise allows Students to see what happens in a crash, from the fist arriving Ambos, to Rescue and Fire trucks, Traffic Police, Major Crash, Rescue51 helicopter and intensive care paramedics....
I think its a good thing for students to what happens at a crash, but don't know if it will affect thier driving...
Do any other brigades do an excercise like this?

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Operation Easter Brake
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 08:53:20 AM »
Yeah, with Willunga and Aldinga Beach I've been involved with a couple of scenarios at the Willunga High School, which captures students from Yankalilla, and Tatachilla (mclaren vale). We run an annual scenario for Year 10 students (I think), with the concept of education prior to the students getting their licences. Scenario involves students from the school acting in patient roll, with full casualty sim (blood and gore), SAAS treatment, fatality, SAPOL arresting the driver at fault and the forcoming court case with judge and jury! Haven't run statistics but it seems to make an impact!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Operation Easter Brake
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 09:04:34 AM »
In the rescue area under Friday night training in Naracoorte there are some details of an informal training session in view of the kids and James has seen these run before.

We've had a couple in Meninige - there is a Coorong Road Safety Committee (which we used to be a part of) that facilitates these kind of things. We had a police officer who has run a lot of these come along (he had some resources with him including a plan from beginning to end - coroners court - including media releases of an exercise).

I've heard these were always well received. We've never done one as we don't have a high school in our area but have done RCR displays for the general public at community events that have generated positive interest.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

rescue5271

mock mva
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 03:29:02 AM »
As part of Youth week naracoorte emergencys services all did a mock MVA in the main street in front of some 200 kids from both the high schools.This showed all there not only the kids but teachers how close all services work but also what is done with a dead body once removed from a car. Some of those in the group (kids) where some what upset with just how real the situation was as this was hitting home as a young man died in the town not less than a week before the dayin a single MVA

strikeathird

Operation Easter Brake
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 12:34:58 PM »
Sometimes it seems like "shock" tactics are the only way to get into these kids heads!!!

They just don't realise how traumatic, and dangerous there actions can be until they see it front up!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Operation Easter Brake
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 09:29:16 PM »
Quote from: strikeathird
Sometimes it seems like "shock" tactics are the only way to get into these kids heads!!!

I don't think there is a way of getting into these kids heads... I respond to RCR's regularly, and still take unnecessary  risks on the road...
(Although I know when I'm taking the risks and don't do it very often, once is enough to kill you... :shock: )

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Operation Easter Brake
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »
Exercises that emphasise the effects of a road crash have a lot of merit. They will never work 100%, as its human nature to test the limits, and after time we know where these limits are, and dont try to exceed them.

But if we can make at least 1 person think about their actions on the road, and the consequences they may have, then it has been a success.

..... And if the day comes where they do have an accident (hopefully not fatal), everything they have been shown will hit home. Only then can the real lesson be learn.

Its unfortunate that experience is something you only get right after you needed it.....