Author Topic: 'Heavy' Rescue  (Read 52735 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 'Heavy' Rescue
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
Yep I guessed that :-D
I personally have no issues with combitools - as I said I want one! (note those from SHQ who read these :wink:).
The point is the RCRD states "Heavy Rescue Equipment" & highlights combitools as "not suitable". If the gear is ok, change the directory. If not issue the correct gear! - simple!
This is why people (including myself) get confused!
If combitools are ok for one service & based on need (risk)& near by resources, I could trade my RCR truck for a general rescue one(4x4 would be nice), loose a couple of trailers, use my Rodeo (or get a modified F250)as primary RCR, send back my third vehicle, save the service a small fortune and everything is sweet!
But now back to the real world, unfortunately someone has deemed that to be RCR you must have separate hydraulic tools, its the same logic that says "20 CFM capable compressor" when only 3 phase and big petrol compressors can supply that much air and the new air hydraulic pumps (I have two as back ups)from one manufacturer run on 7.5 CFM & tradies use similar size compressors! I'm not sure of the reasons why, its just the way it is.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »
chook we have just bought a combi tool it hasn't arrived as yet we got it with fund raising it will be on our 31 i think but we can chuck it in the cruiser if we don't have a truck driver. also use it when we cant get our truck close enough so at least we can get entry while we get our gear to the site.   

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »
How much? new or second hand? What do you power it with?
How did you get away with it? I bought the 330's last year when we got the 501's got fingers smacked :-D.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
you can get anything you like as long as it isn't with your budget we worked hard to get the cash to buy it out right il get the details from the boss and send them on if you like. we got second hand recondition ex NSW fire service i think we also got a pump to go with it. we got it now as they want to mount all RCR pumps and hoses to the trucks and being 2wd trucks we cant always get in to paddocks as you would know so we can buy time till we can get our heavy gear close to the site   

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
Yep we have the same issue, hence the 330's (didn't come from budget either).
We use air hydraulic to drive them, hence the need for compressors.
We have also put a fix in for truck mounted equipment, it involves extra hose reels but.
Anyway thanks
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »
The point is the RCRD states "Heavy Rescue Equipment" & highlights combitools as "not suitable". If the gear is ok, change the directory. If not issue the correct gear! - simple!
This is why people (including myself) get confused!
If combitools are ok for one service & based on need (risk)& near by resources, I could trade my RCR truck for a general rescue one(4x4 would be nice), loose a couple of trailers, use my Rodeo (or get a modified F250)as primary RCR, send back my third vehicle, save the service a small fortune and everything is sweet!
But now back to the real world, unfortunately someone has deemed that to be RCR you must have separate hydraulic tools, its the same logic that says "20 CFM capable compressor" when only 3 phase and big petrol compressors can supply that much air and the new air hydraulic pumps (I have two as back ups)from one manufacturer run on 7.5 CFM & tradies use similar size compressors! I'm not sure of the reasons why, its just the way it is.
cheers

There is nothing wrong with having a set standard of equipment that is for an 'RCR Resource'. Combi tools/Cutters/Spreader all have their benefits and drawbacks. They all have a time and a place to be used. Its the same things with the differing forms of hydraulic pumps. Have you used those air/hydraulic pumps you use as back up chook? You must know and be able to see the output is far less than the larger petrol powered pumps, and they chew cylinders like theres no tomorrow.

You seem to be so bent out of shape about the fact that a SAMFS pump has a combi tool on it and is designated as second rescue into your area. I agree that they should be re equipped or turfed out of the directory, but whining here about it and using your local experience as guide for the rest of the state will get you nowhere.

To be honest, I say bring back the days of a clear distinction between Light Rescue and Heavy Rescue.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
To be honest, I say bring back the days of a clear distinction between Light Rescue and Heavy Rescue.

Amen to that :-)
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »
Answer to the first Yes we have - slow but have their place & haven't had a problem with cylinders.
Answer to the statement on whining - no making a statement!
And no not comparing here with the rest of the state - remember case by case?
But from where I sit I don't personally care! I will keep on going against the RCRD and when someone from the fire services has a go at me for doing just that, well I will just point them to the Green book and they can sought it out as I have given up trying.
It seems that there are different standards & until such time as someone in authority takes these issues seriously then making comment on such is a waist of time :-(
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA FIREFIGHTER

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
Chook
You seem to be so bent out of shape about the fact that a SAMFS pump has a combi tool on it and is designated as second rescue into your area. I agree that they should be re equipped...How many vehicle accidents have you been to that requires us to use heavy tools.......HONESTLY.. we are manly fire coverage

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »
Hardly any with this unit, due to location &  in all honesty as I said I would be happy with small lighter tools as we don't really need the Trimo motor 44 spreaders & the 501's. A combitool, my 330's and the small Simo that Pinnaroo have would be adequate. I know that 3 (or more :wink:)sets of "Heavy gear" are less than 30 km's away.
I don't particularly care what the local fire/rescue carries, all I'm asking for is consistency (I know I've said this a few times before :-D).
This was not meant to be a criticism of the local guys (eventhough some think it is), its not even a critcism of SAMFS as such - its having a go at a set of standards that have a list of equipment that in reality may not be required by all. And of course the people who decided that took the gear away in the first place. And yes there should be still a "light rescue".
Anyway I'm sorry if I caused offence & I think I've said enough on this subject, so until the next one cheers :-D

Ken
just another retard!

Offline mattthefirey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »
could someone let me know if this is true but i have heard on the grapevine that strathalbyn cfs have now got a full rcr kit. could someone set me straight
my opinion only

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
12 month old threads FTW ..

Im sure alot has changed since this time last year..

misterteddy

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
i'm not the expert in that Matt, but I'm pretty sure they have. South Coast SES have been having some crewing issues I think, and more and more the CFS are doing the work.

Happy to be corrected

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
South Coast is at Port Elliot (and yes are veeeery slow out the door) but i think you'll find that strath SES have or did have crewing issues and last time i saw Strath CFS had a brand new set of Holmatro Rapid intervention tools.

Possible that they have been upgraded though.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »
could someone let me know if this is true but i have heard on the grapevine that strathalbyn cfs have now got a full rcr kit. could someone set me straight

Not sure where you heard that one matt? I take it that by 'full' you mean 'heavy rescue' plus the 19 designation?
Strath CFS have not been upgraded to a 'heavy rescue' brigade - at this stage anyway.
They still run a Lukas combi tool and single stage ram with full RCR stowage on their 24P and have done so for a bit over 2 years now. Before then they ran 20+ year old FAG Lukas cutters and spreaders with an incomplete RCR stowage.  The Combi tool was purchased by CFS (state or region) to replace their very much out-dated hydraulics, however the rest of the kit was updated via Group funding.
Strath CFS are currently responded to any MVA within their groups area (except Blackfellows Creek which is covered by Meadows CFS) to which there are reported, possible or unknown entrapments. They respond their 24P as a 'secondary rescue appliance' along with the local brigade for fire cover and Strath SES - who are the recognised primary rescue resource for the area.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »

Not sure where you heard that one matt? I take it that by 'full' you mean 'heavy rescue' plus the 19 designation?
Strath CFS have not been upgraded to a 'heavy rescue' brigade - at this stage anyway.
They still run a Lukas combi tool and single stage ram with full RCR stowage on their 24P and have done so for a bit over 2 years now. Before then they ran 20+ year old FAG Lukas cutters and spreaders with an incomplete RCR stowage.

Ah, I would have thought that by 'full' he meant "Rescue Stowage" as per the Green Book. Nothing about Heavy Rescue there...

Dare I ask how you can call a Combitool and a single stage ram 'full RCR Stowage'
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »

They still run a Lukas combi tool and single stage ram with full RCR stowage on their 24P and have done so for a bit over 2 years now. Before then they ran 20+ year old FAG Lukas cutters and spreaders with an incomplete RCR stowage.

Ah, I would have thought that by 'full' he meant "Rescue Stowage" as per the Green Book. Nothing about Heavy Rescue there...

Dare I ask how you can call a Combitool and a single stage ram 'full RCR Stowage'

Sorry, a misunderstanding here...
By "full RCR stowage" I meant everything as per the Green Book excluding hydraulics.
So to the orginial question, yes Strath CFS carry a full RCR kit on their 24P but in terms of hydraulic tools, they only run a combitool and single stage ram.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
Will CFS build any more stand alone rescues, that is the question.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:27:16 AM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »

No, they won't.  That is the answer.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
they should buy the NSW Ambulance Rescue vehicles second hand for $5.50.

misterteddy

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »

No, they won't.  That is the answer.

bet they do  :wink:

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2009, 05:04:10 AM »
Why do you know something?
Ken
just another retard!

misterteddy

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2009, 06:42:37 AM »

i know....naaaarthingg.  :-D

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »

i know....naaaarthingg.  :-D

Tedster ....I may be mistaken, but I believe that the the correct spelling of naaaarthingg is "naaaarthinggk" :-D as uttered by SHUOOLTZ
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D
Ken
just another retard!

anything