Author Topic: This is a joke!  (Read 16592 times)

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: This is a joke!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 06:44:37 PM »
Why dont we have programs in place ot help these people? More PR for us, huge community benefit.

Other services do it.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 07:37:19 PM »
I agree 100% time we all did a little more for the PR side of the service....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »
bring on the prs....... :-D.

i just have why did you join the cfs???? to fight fires??

hate to point out to you that there is more to the cfs then fighting fire eg changing little old ladies smoke alarm battery!

ill change it for nothing give me a call c/o CFS
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 09:06:22 PM »
dont get me wrong, ive been out and changed a smoke alarm battery at some odd hour of the morning...

but i didnt join the CFS to do that sort of thing... especially not when i have to work the next day. ill quite happily go and do a kindy visit or fire cover at an event if i have the spare time and feel like it, but theres no way i would respond to them if PR type special services became common...

just my 0.02

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »
It comes down to common sense. If it was a 2 in the morning call, the comcen who took the call should note it and make contact with the brigade / service the next morning..

Common sense... Wonderful thing that.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 09:52:27 PM »
since when has common sense ever played a part?

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 11:30:19 PM »
Good bit of PR for the fire service too.  We always learn as kids that firefighters/police officers are there to help if you need it. 

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 02:03:44 PM »
I think some of the problem is that some not all members think they are only here for the GLORY jobs,there are those who like to do the not so GLORY jobs as well as the hot jobs...You know may be its time we had a session on PR with in the service,where does PR come into being part of the CFS,what is PR and where can we access PR....

Now the guys and girls in the media unit of CFS do a great job as does pip and ash who promote the CFS with the internet site but is there something missing??? I find it funny that we only promote bush fire safety when summer comes or we only promote winter house fire safety when winter comes. Should we not promote fire safety all year round????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
Interesting point - PR. each year at the end of day light saving, the fire services promote change your smoke alarm battery now!

A 9v in a smoke detector will last several years, but excellent advise to change every year.

SO ..... if we are speaking PR, then obviously this resident did not receive the PR ...... therefore maybe not effective ..... therefore going to asssist the comunity in their time of need isn't a bad option!

i'd rather change a battery at an odd hour (which we have done more than once before) than go to the same location for a fire with persons reported - which as those who have done this know, is not a pleasant thing..AT ALL!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 01:37:35 AM »
maybe the council needs to set up a program or better yet send out a 9v battery with you rates and taxes...  :evil:

pumprescue

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 04:03:23 PM »
Linc24p if you get out of your shell a bit and come to the real world, do you know that the person called 000, often elderly people contact the fire service on admin numbers to query what they should do if they have no one else, it is PR to go and assist when available to do so. Looking at that page it is Mt Gambier who are not on station so they have to be paged anyway. Do you know your neighbours? Mt Gambier is a country city and they may not have family there, why should an elderly person let a stranger in their house to change a battery, that person could do anything, they trust the fire service and it comforts them to know they give a rats. If you dont want to be in the job be it perm/retained/vol for that sort of things, you just want the big flames and hero status time to walk brother...

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 06:41:36 PM »
Linc24p if you get out of your shell a bit and come to the real world, do you know that the person called 000, often elderly people contact the fire service on admin numbers to query what they should do if they have no one else, it is PR to go and assist when available to do so. Looking at that page it is Mt Gambier who are not on station so they have to be paged anyway. Do you know your neighbours? Mt Gambier is a country city and they may not have family there, why should an elderly person let a stranger in their house to change a battery, that person could do anything, they trust the fire service and it comforts them to know they give a rats. If you dont want to be in the job be it perm/retained/vol for that sort of things, you just want the big flames and hero status time to walk brother...

Well brother its time to get off your soap box.

big flames, hero status...HA  umm well no not actually you mainly find me behind a radio in GCC, or off with IMT, or drivin the big white truck or the many of other jobs i do.. so brother dont get on your soap box too quick..

Plus maybe read the topics we have moved on from the little old lady and discussin what programs could be put in place or what we can do about it.

Offline rusty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
Programmes to put in place to deal with doing our job?
If you don't want to do this sort of stuff then don't respond... You don't have to go...seems that many people are picky about the types of call they go to anyway.
And so what if the MFS go to these types of PR calls... that's up to the MFS. It's not up to you to decide what they should and shouldn't do...maybe you could write SOPs and response criteria for the ambos and police too?

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 08:01:53 PM »
LOL

gee 2 ppl got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

pumprescue

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »
do you guys get soap boxes over in lincoln....impressive...

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »
well pumpresuce

what program should we bring in to fix this problem or PR issue

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 10:35:43 PM »
Well pumprescue

I have waited 4 days for a reply.

By the sounds of it you come in here shoot your mouth off and actually have nothing intellectual to say.  Next time dont shoot your mouth off at my post if you actually dont have a constructive oppinion... go be lavender lady some where else.

may i stress once again i did not say that i would not go out and help a little old lady put a battery in her detector if she had no other option.

ONLY Open for ideas on what we can do to fix the problem.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 11:10:56 PM »
.....ONLY Open for ideas on what we can do to fix the problem.

My suggestion is change the way the call is taken & dispatched.

Caller should be advised not an emergency (unless person is really unclear if sound is smoke alarm activating or low battery signal) and advised to either:

* call administration area (Region, SHQ, info line) who will telephone Brigade. Brigade then contacts caller to arrange a time convenient for Brigade members.

* or dispatch via pagers but be a SES P4 euqivalent tasking.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline rusty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 08:39:19 AM »
Smoke alarms do funny things when their batteries go kaput... some actually go into a series of beeps, not just the one occasional chirp. The poor elderly callers usually are frantic or at wits end (especially as these events occur usually in the middle of the night as the temp drops and the chemical reactions in the batteries slow down, making them appear flatter..). When they call the Fire Service it usually is their last port of call. So the dispatch goes out to Assist Resident. From there the (MFS Country or CFS Brigade) chooses their own priority and crew and attends as they see fit. If that means one person to walk around the corner, or a full crew in full turnout gear, so be it. That's locally governed.

Some councils have Elderly Assistance Programmes, who will change their batteries once a year, in line with the Fire Services' call to "Change Your Clock, Change Your Smoke Alarm Battery" campaign..some councils do not. However when it is after hours, and the resident has noone to turn to, we are there.

If you don't want to go, put your head back under the pillow and go back to sleep. Or, better still, stop complaining and start your own local assistance programme.

Pumprescue does not need to reply to your post. Firstly PR might not have logged in for a week, or had the chance to reply, but mostly it shouldn't need one. Figure it out.

No, Linc24p, THIS IS NOT A JOKE.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:44:10 AM by rusty »

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 01:38:19 PM »
Its a call for help man, don't be so callous.

As a wise person once said, there are 3 types of firefighter:

Those who are in it to help out
Those who like their name in lights
Those who love the thrill of the chase

If you don't love it, and don't like helping people, then why are you really with the service? Its all part of the gig.

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 01:50:59 PM »
OMG dude..

so not going to even both with the reply.

I go back to my main question

ONLY Open for ideas on what we can do to fix the problem or make it better?

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 03:04:18 PM »
"OMG DUDE" Grow up.

Wouldya look at what I found? After a simple google search:
http://tinyurl.com/ya49ox

The first result?
http://www.nswfb.nsw.gov.au/community/factsheets/english/30_sabre.php

The NSWFB SABRE program. The fire service actively going out and visitng residents, as well as *encouraging* them to contact their local station when their alarm goes into low battery mode.

As has been said before, get of your high horse, you damn glory hunter.

EDIT: Less Table breaking with shorter Google URL.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:10:37 PM by 2090 »

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 04:03:01 PM »
whats more glorius and self satisfactory than going away knwoing youve helped an old lady or other unable resident get something done they fell they cant od themselves.  If it was a young man or woman who obviously can do it then yes its a joke but an elderly or disabled resident, come on, helping people is what we do as a fire service.

You leave feeling good and they feel good seeing some buff firefighters in red braces coming in to help them, well maybe not that far. :-P

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2006, 07:57:48 AM »
Perhaps Tone7 or Linc24P should seriously look at why he belongs to the service if he's that bitter and twisted about the way the heirachy operate...

this forum is not here so you can have a bitch and winge when you don't get your own way with something... :-o
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 06:05:50 PM by CFS_Firey »

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
Umm yeah, i must say i agree with everyone except Tone 7 or Linc24p or whoever you are...

Over the years i have been to roughly 5 of these jobs, all have been a priority 2 response and none we have walked away thinking it was a waist of time.

The last one i went to was a person with a respiritory desease and due to being unable to leave the house and hardly able to walk called us.

The one before that was an elderly lady at 2am who didn't know what the beeps meant so called the fire brigade who told her it was a flat battery and she would need to change it, unfortunatley her husband was bed ridden and hooked up to a life support machine and she would have probably killed herself if she had have attemted it herself so Comms sent us out which is fair enough.

The other thing is 99% of people think they have a paid fire service in their town that are waiting to do this sort of thing and are very appologetic when learning otherwise.

Also if you are from Pt lincoln then PumpRescue has been to alot more jobs than you ever could in Pt lincoln and could also make your apparent problem with heirachy alot worse if you dont watch the way you talk to people.