Poll

Which CFS logo do you prefer

Old Logo (Red star with CFS in the middle)
11 (84.6%)
New Logo (Yellow SA state pic with hazard markings out the side)
1 (7.7%)
Dont Care
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 30, 2005, 03:06:08 PM

Author Topic: New or Old Logo  (Read 7600 times)

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« on: March 30, 2005, 03:06:08 PM »
What do you think about the CFS logo?

I like the old one as it has meaning, while the new one is boring.
The old logo is much better

Good times

New or Old Logo
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »
This might be interesting, I can't say that any person I have spoken to likes the new logo, but like most things, it happens anyway, if the crews like it or not!!

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »
The old logo is better

Offline MCFSFF

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 08:52:29 PM »
MM ok i went i dont care... at risk of being unpopular or whatever i believe its not what Flag or Symbol you march under but why you do it that counts... Though i have to say if the uniform was hot pink instead of yellow i may feel a tad silly wearing it to incidents  :)  :lol:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:07:53 PM »
Quote from: MCFSFF
MM ok i went i dont care... at risk of being unpopular or whatever i believe its not what Flag or Symbol you march under but why you do it that counts... Though i have to say if the uniform was hot pink instead of yellow i may feel a tad silly wearing it to incidents  :)  :lol:

Again no offense, but did that remind anyone else of the SES? I know its not hot pink, but close enough :wink: ...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 10:27:15 PM »
I also like the old logo better, although I'm not saying changing was a bad thing... If they had replaced it with a logo that also had meaning and was nicer (Sorry to the designer) I would be happier...

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 01:51:54 PM »
Quote from: CFS_firey
I also like the old logo better, although I'm not saying changing was a bad thing... If they had replaced it with a logo that also had meaning and was nicer (Sorry to the designer) I would be happier...

I agree, i dont mind a change but to something with more meaning like the old one had.

corocfs

New or Old Logo
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 06:34:56 PM »
im all for the star!!!

our helmets still proudly bear it, unfortunately though the trucks have the corporate logo.... ppphhhtttt...

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 08:16:32 AM »
Our helmets still have the star proudly on the front as well as four of our trucks, but our pumper has the corperate logo

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »
Change can can be good, but some things should remain. Helps to maintain history and pride to some extent. I am all for the old logo (preferably the one with gold writing not white)

No doubt the designer was well intentioned though

Slightly off topic but just thought id throw it in.....

Someone might be able to give a definate on this, but I always thought the national standard for fire service was a red/white check (much nicer)???? so why yellow (the colour of the uniform perhaps)??

Cheers

rescue5271

logo
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 04:25:53 PM »
I like the old logo as it hold so much to the service because of the star and what it stand's for,the new taxi logo reminds me too much of the CFA one it would have been nice if we could have had some say it it???

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
New or Old Logo
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 01:45:22 PM »
Ah a topic after my own heart.

Anyone who knows me would know that I am a passionate believer in the maltese cross based fire star with its history, tradition and tenets of admirable traits. I had a letter published in the Volunteer around the transtition time and had some lovely replies. I also think all of the passion vollies (like myself) showed in relation to the star resulted in the production of a colour poster distributed to each station on the history of the star (kindly laminated courtesy of Stuart Ellis at the request of yours truly at one of the three memorable State Volunteer Management Committee meetings I managed to get to)

And before some vigilant and observant member posts it, yes, Tailem Bend Alpha (redundant "alpha" admittedly but alpha all the same), 24 still proudly displays the star and so would out other appliance if it was not a new vehicle. We ARE ardent believers in change at Tailem land. Without change the service may have been fighting fires half cut in our thongs and singlets with a wet wheat sack. Most change is good. Our star and our "A" should be left alone  :)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New or Old Logo
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 01:59:01 PM »
Im sure when they initially released the new logo it was a brigade choice as to change or not...... funny how these choices disappear as time goes on.

We could once again start talking about professionalism and appearance, when trucks rock up with different logos..... lets just hope there are no plans to change the arm patches for those who still have them.....

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
New or Old Logo
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 02:13:33 PM »
OK, can't help myself. Some base info for those interested in the history of our star:

The Fire Service Star is used by CFA as an official symbol. It can be seen on uniform hats, and on Long Service and Outstanding Service Badges.
The eight-pointed star is the Cross of Saint John. It originated in the Maltese Cross, the emblem of the Knights of Malta, and was used by the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem at the time of the crusades.
The points, or tenets, were said to represent the knightly virtues of tact, loyalty, dexterity, observation, sympathy, explicitness, gallantry and perseverance.
Since these represent the qualities required of a firefighter, the star has been chosen as the insignia of CFA.
Tact - discretion
Loyalty - commitment to the organisation through 'thick and thin'
Dexterity - mental adroitness and flexibility
Observation - attentiveness or perceptiveness
Sympathy - compassion or sharing
Explicitness - thoroughness
Gallantry - boldness
Perseverance - determination  

(from http://www.abilenetx.com/firedept/hmaltesestarlife.html)
History of the Maltese Cross
The Badge of a Fire Fighter is the Maltese Cross. The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection and a badge of honor. Its story is hundreds of years old.
When a courageous band of crusaders known as The Knights of St. John fought the Saracens for possession of the holy land, they encountered a new weapon unknown to European warriors. It was a simple, but horrible device of war. It brought excruciating pain and agonizing death upon the brave fighters for the cross.
As the crusaders advanced on the walls of the city, they were struck by glass bombs containing naphtha. When they became saturated with the highly flammable liquid, the Saracens would hurl a flaming torch into their midst. Hundreds of the knights were burned alive; others risked their lives to save their brothers-in-arms from dying painful, fiery deaths.
Thus, these men became our first Fire Fighters and the first of a long list of courageous men. Their heroic efforts were recognized by fellow crusaders who awarded each hero a badge of honor - a cross similar to the one fire fighters wear today. Since the Knights of St. John lived for close to four centuries on a little island in the Mediterranean Sea named Malta, the cross came to be known as the Maltese Cross.
The Maltese Cross is our symbol of protection. It means that the Fire Fighter who wears this cross is willing to lay down his life for you just as the crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a Fire Fighter's badge of honor, signifying that he works in courage - a ladder's rung away from death.

For the die hards try:http://www.northirwinfd.org/maltese_cross.htm  http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/index.cfm?cid=110&the_start=3
and congrats to Woodside CFS for a mention at http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/woodsidecfs/history/01.htm

In fact a basic search will turn up thousands of fire Brigades paying homage to the star in its various forms and expressing the pride they take in working under that badge. Brings a tear to one's eye :crybaby:
(and inspires great pride and inspiration).
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

New or Old Logo
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 07:05:37 PM »
I say go the old logo!!   Why try and change something as traditional as such a respected logo.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Logo
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 04:13:59 PM »
Sorry to say it, but I like the new logo.  It just show's that the CFS can change with the community.

The new logo also matches the PPE colour.

I like that fact that people still use the star which shows the tradition of the service.

I feel though that the new logo, stands out & shows that we are SA (State Shape) & that we are the CFS (Country Fire Service).

A quick glance at the CFS star from a member of public usally gets the response what is that logo, I find that it is hard to read from a distance due to the size of the text.  I would be happy & proud to wear both logo's.

strikeathird

New or Old Logo
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 12:32:47 PM »
I think in some peoples mind tho, it comes to the tradition thing... I personally am full on with keeping various forms of traidition within the service... The CFS star, is one area that i think shouldnt have been changed...

But, as was said  -  it happens any way, weather people like it or not.